Kids Who Inherit Athletic Genes

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
With all these great players passing their athletic genes (Fed's brood, Djoke, Muzz, Serena, Kimmie, Flavia/FFF, Vika and now Nads); I wonder how many kids will take up the family business.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
With all these great players passing their athletic genes (Fed's brood, Djoke, Muzz, Serena, Kimmie, Flavia/FFF, Vika and now Nads); I wonder how many kids will take up the family business.
Just like basketball, baseball and football It will most likely be some scrub offspring that turns out to be a great player ..e.g Kobe Jellybean Bryant whose dad Joe Bryant was a scrub in the NBA..if Agassi and Graf's offspring isn't a great tennis player by now there's no better e.g. of great tennis genes IMO

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Have any of them shown an interest in tennis? I’ve seen Serena post a bit about Olympia, but it’s always hard to say where these things go. I could possibly see some of the European player’s children possibly leaning toward another sport to avoid comparisons.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
if Agassi and Graf's offspring isn't a great tennis player by now there's no better e.g. of great tennis genes IMO

That’s a great example! They should be the parents of a multi-major winning champion, but I’ve also read they haven’t pushed their kids towards tennis, so we may never know. Such talent isn’t always passed through genetically anyway. At least not creatively: look how many musicians, actors/actresses, writers who have had children who tried their hands at their parents’ specialities and failed.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That’s a great example! They should be the parents of a multi-major winning champion, but I’ve also read they haven’t pushed their kids towards tennis, so we may never know. Such talent isn’t always passed through genetically anyway. At least not creatively: look how many musicians, actors/actresses, writers who have had children who tried their hands at their parents’ specialities and failed.
Jaden Agassi is doing very well in Baseball I believe.

Reactions: Moxie

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I could see a lot of children liking their parent’s sport, but not wanting to go down that route for lack of wanting to hear comparisons and lose a bit of enjoyment of their parent’s sport and a sport they may love as well.

Reactions: tented

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

I hit a few balls with Connors kid, Brett! He was awful! Novak's kid is already a champion winning a tournament a couple weeks ago! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy::fearful-face:

Reactions: Kieran

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I find it telling that Korda has both daughters in pro golf and never pushed his son into tennis. It’s a very demanding sport with injuries galore. Golf is a walk in the park by comparison.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Look at Ivan Lendl and his daughters who are all good at golf, they got their love of golf from their father.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I find it telling that Korda has both daughters in pro golf and never pushed his son into tennis. It’s a very demanding sport with injuries galore. Golf is a walk in the park by comparison.
The angle I was thinking of on this is maybe, even if a kid is a great athlete, who wants to be compared to their parents, most especially Jaden Agassi, who IS apparently a very good baseball player. If your parent, or worse both, HOF tennis players, it makes sense that they might chose a different sport to, hopefully, excel at.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The best parent child tennis combination I can think of is Vera and Helena Sukova. Vera was a Wimbledon finalist and Helena did her better by making it to 4 Grand Slam finals in singles. As a family they hold a distinct record, Helena with her brother Cyril won 2 mixed doubles at Wimbledon , so that made Mom and her two kids making some kind of Wimbledon final. :D

Reactions: tented and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have read that Roger Federer and his children especially the twin boys are more interested in skiing than tennis, kind of makes sense seeing they do spend most of their time in Swiss, the twin girls prefer ballet than tennis.

Hailz

The Tennis Kid
Reactions
I look at someone like Elizabeth Mandlik, she had to get some of her mom's tennis genes along the way. I looked up her mom(Hana Mandlikova) because I really didn't know anything about her and Elizabeth has a lot of work to do to achieve the success her mom had in her tennis career. The little bit I have seen from Elizabeth Mandlik she is really good so she is on her way.

Hailz

The Tennis Kid
Reactions
I am sitting here watching the Jess Pegula match and this thought about this thread and kids inheriting sports genes popped into my head. Jess was adopted by an extremely wealthy family from Buffalo when she was little. Now I have no idea what type of athletes her biological parents were, but Jess got her skills from training and coaching I would think. Her adopted parents surely had nothing to do with it other than providing the $$$$$ to send her to the best places for coaching.