[John Masters] Masterclass Match of the Day: Juan Martin Del Potro vs. Lleyton Hewitt

Srini

Futures Player
Reactions
RE: [Blog] Masterclass Match of the Day - Juan Martin Del Potro vs. Lleyton Hewitt

Disappointed for Delpo, hope nothing serious with the wrist. I sadly think this is not a good sign, I thought he was taking the next step by being in Indian Wells finals and almost beating Novak at Wimbledon,,,,but wrist problem again? I hope he comes back stronger next year, he is still relatively young.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RE: [Blog] Masterclass Match of the Day - Juan Martin Del Potro vs. Lleyton Hewitt

so del floptro's other wrist is still hurting (his other one being the non serving non surgery wrist)

but he said months ago that it was a small problem and was not a big deal..

eh ?, lol wut, :huh: famous last words, it clearly is a big deal seeing as he seemed to hit only about two and a quarter 2h bh in that dismal display..although I didn't see the 5th set as I was getting too agitated at way to late a time of night..(6-1 lolz:()

if his wrist is affecting his 2h bh STILL he clearly needs another solution other than 'rest'.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

The match against Novak at Wimbledon probably mangled his wrist even more I'd imagine. He was absolutely pounding the ball in that match. I actually though Hewitt would win the match after seeing how DP was slicing so much. It was obvious his wrist was really affecting him. Was too tired to watch the whole thing but despite being a long match reading comments it seems I didn't miss a good match anyway. First set was certainly a yawn fest.

Feel sorry for Del Potro's wrist problems as it seems he'll never really be the same player he once was consistently and only once in a while when his body is close to 100%. The match against Novak at Wimbledon this year was amazing but really, aside from that one match, he's been a shadow of his former self now for quite some time. Hope I'm wrong and he does recover well enough to be more consistent, but it's not looking too good for him at this stage. He's defending Basel too so that looks a tall order at this stage.

I wonder is it down to his technique. He's got a very unorthodox swing to his FH and a lot of the time you're left wondering where the ball is going. Maybe it might be an idea to change his grip and try hitting differently if it somehow hurts his wrist less. The left one is the one at him right now but he made a ton of FH errors too so it's hard to imagine that one is 100% either.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions

Here are the Stats:

Lleyton Hewitt<--->Juan Martin Del Potro
10--Aces--11
7---Double faults---8
75/149 (50 %)---1st serves in---92/162 (57 %)
56/75 (75 %)---1st serve points won---57/92 (62 %)
38/74 (51 %)---2nd serve points won---39/70 (56 %)
123 MPH----Fastest serve----132 MPH
109 MPH----Average 1st serve speed----121 MPH
89 MPH----Average 2nd serve speed---95 MPH
32/50 (64 %)---Net points won---21/36 (58 %)
8/18 (44 %)---Break points won----6/11 (55 %)
66/162 (41 %)---Receiving points won---55/149 (37 %)
42---Winners---41
43---Unforced errors---70
160---Total points won---151

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Kiu said:
Here are the Stats:

Lleyton Hewitt<--->Juan Martin Del Potro
10--Aces--11
7---Double faults---8
75/149 (50 %)---1st serves in---92/162 (57 %)
56/75 (75 %)---1st serve points won---57/92 (62 %)
38/74 (51 %)---2nd serve points won---39/70 (56 %)
123 MPH----Fastest serve----132 MPH
109 MPH----Average 1st serve speed----121 MPH
89 MPH----Average 2nd serve speed---95 MPH
32/50 (64 %)---Net points won---21/36 (58 %)
8/18 (44 %)---Break points won----6/11 (55 %)
66/162 (41 %)---Receiving points won---55/149 (37 %)
42---Winners---41
43---Unforced errors---70
160---Total points won---151

Cheers for that, Kiu. Now I see why Juan lost. It was his twin brother Martin Del Potro playing and he's clearly nowhere as good. Martin Del Potro eh? Sounds like an Argentinian plumber :)

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Front242 said:
Now I see why Juan lost. It was his twin brother Martin Del Potro playing and he's clearly nowhere as good.

Or Sasquatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f1CJPW8NfU

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

nehmeth said:
Front242 said:
Now I see why Juan lost. It was his twin brother Martin Del Potro playing and he's clearly nowhere as good.

Or Sasquatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f1CJPW8NfU

:D

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions

OK, I fixed it!
I always make sure you all are paying attention.
:)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I couldn't watch the match, but I really hope that Juan Martin's wrist isn't going to become a big issue for him, again. I was really looking forward to the rematch of that amazing Wimbledon SF. Too bad. But great for Lleyton...every time you think he must be done, he's not.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Didi said:
ricardo said:
with all due respect? funny i think that's exactly what you don't show whenever you say this. For once someone should admit the level of Hewitt's tennis shown. Just because he can't hit big doesn't mean he can not play the same level as the top dogs.

First of all stop acting as if you are the moralizer of these boards, Riccy. You have been doing this for years across all boards and let me tell you it is annoying as hell. Thank you. As for your posting. Why does it always have to be mutually exclusive? Yes, Hewitt played great which I happily admit as I like the guy but don't tell me Del Potro wasn't flat out disappointing. You make it sound as if one player playing great and his opponent being totally off his game is something that simply cannot occur at the same time in a tennis match. That has nothing to do with showing respect. It just happens sometimes.

For the record, I rate Lleyton a lot as a player and I'm fully aware of how dangerous he can be to big hitters which I posted in this thread some time ago and I would favor a peak version of Hewitt over any version of Delpo any day of the week. But this result tonight had much more to do with Del Potro being a shadow of himself than anything else. I'm not even talking about the 70+ unforced errors he produced, he was lethargic for 80 percent of the match and went down without any fight. I don't know if his back still bothers him but I'm sure as hell it ain't Hewitt.

no i don't make it sound like that, unless you want to hear it in such a way. Delpo made too many UE but that's what Hewitt does to so many big hitters when he is on song. If you'd pay more attention to the details instead of simplifying it all down to "oh Delpo is just playing like crap" you'd notice that he started overhitting a lot of balls since he couldn't put Hewitt away. A lot of Delpo's big shots came back low and close to the line, which pressured him to go for too much. Besides, Hewitt himself hit a lot of winners by re-directing the ball so effectively that Delpo almost looked like he was over-powered, not because Hewitt had any kind of raw power but he used Delpo's power against him very effectively.

The fact you attribute the loss all to Hewitt's fighting spirit and Delpo's lethargy and UE is lack of respect. Surely Delpo would be very energetic if he was to play someone he has favorable matchup advantage over. There is no doubt it was Hewitt's game that bothered him than anything else, you think any mediocre player can look Delpo look so bad (bad back or not)?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Hewitt wasn't doing much to hurt del potro..del potro isn't bothered by match ups or h2h records..

del potro was off key..he was off key in the first rd too..he was the same vs ferrer at wimby 2012..and he flopped vs isner a few weeks ago like he did in the 5th here..

Hewitt played at a good level, but he didn't hurt del potro as much as del potro hurt himself.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
Hewitt wasn't doing much to hurt del potro..del potro isn't bothered by match ups or h2h records..

del potro was off key..he was off key in the first rd too..he was the same vs ferrer at wimby 2012..and he flopped vs isner a few weeks ago like he did in the 5th here..

Hewitt played at a good level, but he didn't hurt del potro as much as del potro hurt himself.

define 'hurt'..... blasting aces, winners and unreturnables, is that it? by your definition small guys would never "hurt" anybody, doesn't sound real smart :nono

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

ricardo said:

define 'hurt'..... blasting aces, winners and unreturnables, is that it? by your definition small guys would never "hurt" anybody, doesn't sound real smart :nono

all you ever do is insult people..

you need to face towards the tv screen when watching tennis..that way you might have a clue of whats going on.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions

Great match. Del Potro has said his number one tennis hero was Lleyton Hewitt. It's clear that Del Po plays Hewitt with too much respect. You can see this in all of their matches. Del Po is a gentle giant type of man. After the epic match, at the net handshake it was clear to see the admiration and respect Del Po has for Hewitt. A part of him was almost happy to see Hewitt win the match. Not to take away any credit for the spectacular performance by Hewitt. It was the match of the tournament so far.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Hi Scoop, good to see you on the boards.

How far do you think Lleyton can go?

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

ricardo said:

you need to face towards the tv screen when watching tennis..that way you might have a clue of whats going on.

not insult..... according to you Hewitt cannot 'hurt' Delpo but he's beaten him time after time, clearly you don't see what's really going on. I laugh each time those fans see small guys beating big guys, they attribute it to "small guys cannot hurt big guys but big guys play like crap and beat themselves". oh only if the world is that simple :D

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

ricardo said:
ricardo said:

not insult..... according to you Hewitt cannot 'hurt' Delpo but he's beaten him time after time, clearly you don't see what's really going on. I laugh each time those fans see small guys beating big guys, they attribute it to "small guys cannot hurt big guys but big guys play like crap and beat themselves". oh only if the world is that simple :D
you don't see whats really going on at all.