[Jesse Pentecost] The Blue Shift - Pentecost on the Beijing Final

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: The Blue Shift - Pentecost on the Beijing Final

A very good article, and I agree, it was hard for the ATP to come up with anything new to sell this rivalry. Most of us are still hooked on watching the 3rd set at the US open.

I do wonder how many men have lost the No. 1 ranking by winning a tournament, in the final defeating the very man who would supplant them. I cannot be that common.

It happened even higher up the tournament food chain! In 1999, Agassi became world #1 after a defeat to Sampras, who became #2 - after the Wimbledon final!

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Kieran said:
A very good article, and I agree, it was hard for the ATP to come up with anything new to sell this rivalry. Most of us are still hooked on watching the 3rd set at the US open.

I do wonder how many men have lost the No. 1 ranking by winning a tournament, in the final defeating the very man who would supplant them. I cannot be that common.

It happened even higher up the tournament food chain! In 1999, Agassi became world #1 after a defeat to Sampras, who became #2 - after the Wimbledon final!

Terrific piece of trivia.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

That was another nice read. I've been following Jesse's blog on thenextpoint.com for a long time. What I really like about it is that he doesn't just concentrate on the top dogs, there are also lots of great articles about the entire world of tennis across all levels of tournaments, events, players etc. Always written from an enjoyable neutral point of view.

As for Djokovic losing his #1 after winning a final vs. Nadal, I agree it's a bit ironic but at the same time from a statistical point of view it was a freak occurrence. It should have happened after the US Open final. That would have been a fitting and perfect moment for the changing of the guard but Nadal was unlucky that he was still a paltry 100 points behind. Both guys won't lose any sleep over it but it's a funny coincidence. That's the way the (statistical) cookie crumbles sometimes I guess.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

Didi said:
That was another nice read. I've been following Jesse's blog on thenextpoint.com for a long time. What I really like about it is that he doesn't just concentrate on the top dogs, there are also lots of great articles about the entire world of tennis across all levels of tournaments, events, players etc. Always written from an enjoyable neutral point of view.

As for Djokovic losing his #1 after winning a final vs. Nadal, I agree it's a bit ironic but at the same time from a statistical point of view it was a freak occurrence. It should have happened after the US Open final. That would have been a fitting and perfect moment for the changing of the guard but Nadal was unlucky that he was still a paltry 100 points behind. Both guys won't lose any sleep over it but it's a funny coincidence. That's the way the (statistical) cookie crumbles sometimes I guess.

That's where a better performance at Wimby would've helped Nadal.