Is Mens Tennis So much Better Than The Ladies?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Is Mens Tennis So much Better That The Ladies?

RJD11 said:
Front242 said:
Well how many guys win in straight sets not 'cos their opponents tanked but because they're superior players? In that instance I can't see how it's fair to pay them the same for an extra set. I'm all for equality in earnings most of the time but in the case of tennis it doesn't make sense I'm afraid. Slams are no different than non slam matches for the women. Would you expect to be paid the same for 4 hours at work as someone who does 1.5 hours work? Think of it that way.

How many times must it be said. They don't get paid by the hour.

It's not a blue collar job. The point is the match being won

or lost, Not how long it takes
. And in light of the recent

tanking issue, 5 set matches are very suspect. You want

to pay them more for gamesmanship.

5 set matches are not suspect, this isn't true at all. And as for gamesmanship, you get as much or more from Serena and Sharapova.

And nobody would want women playing five sets in slams. Quality control would be an issue, to put it politely. There's a huge gulf between men's and women's tennis, and singling out the worst examples from the men (Monfils) in favour of the best women (Serena) isn't going to bridge it... :nono

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I happen to love women's tennis and watch it almost as often as the men, but the men are shown more on The Tennis Channel it seems to me. I personally don't see why women could not play best of five in the majors, but changing the tried and true is tough to do. Those events would take longer than a fortnight due to more matches going longer and not having enough time to fit them all in. Plus, women draw decent ratings and are as well known (at the top five range) as the men for the most part, particularly amongst us here at the Tennis Frontier. I don't think they will change to best of five.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions

shawnbm said:
I happen to love women's tennis and watch it almost as often as the men, but the men are shown more on The Tennis Channel it seems to me. I personally don't see why women could not play best of five in the majors, but changing the tried and true is tough to do. Those events would take longer than a fortnight due to more matches going longer and not having enough time to fit them all in. Plus, women draw decent ratings and are as well known (at the top five range) as the men for the most part, particularly amongst us here at the Tennis Frontier. I don't think they will change to best of five.

That's why I say let the men play best of 3. They do it

most of the year anyway. It would help get all the matches

in with all the delays during slams. It would solve the problems.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

RJD11 said:
shawnbm said:

The thing is, men come back in those best of 5 sets all the time; even Tsonga over Federer on grass! I'd vote for a "super TB" after 2 sets to cut it short, but they should have to "work" for a major! Some "no-name" will end up upsetting a top player, serving out of their minds in best of 3! Best of 5 usually shows who's best! Women should stick with best of 3! Their matches are already too long as it is!

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
equality is a two way street..

and women getting same money for 3 sets in majors when blokes play best of 5 sets is not equality. that's where the argument begins and ends..

the tv money is a conversational cul-de-sac..as most of the womens and mens tours do separate tv contracts around the world.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
equality is a two way street..

and women getting same money for 3 sets in majors when blokes play best of 5 sets is not equality. that's where the argument begins and ends..

the tv money is a conversational cul-de-sac..as most of the womens and mens tours do separate tv contracts around the world.

Did you read " any " of the previous posts on this subject

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
RJD11 said:
shawnbm said:

What problems? There are none.

The sport is fine as it is. If there was a huge clamour for five set women's matches, we'd have it by now. They're not wanted, reasonably enough, given how poor the women's game is. Equal pay is another issue. Women players get more - which is unfair. They can saunter off court after singles and play doubles...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^Agreed, there are no problems.

If the women really really want equality then let them enter the men's draw and see if they are quite so keen on the idea after the tournament.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
britbox said:
^Agreed, there are no problems.

If the women really really want equality then let them enter the men's draw and see if they are quite so keen on the idea after the tournament.

Well that will never happen in my lifetime! The Williams already got a taste of that kind of defeat when they were a lot younger against some guy not in the top 100! Besides men having more upper body strength, their control in putting the ball exactly where they want is unmatched! Even when I was a teenager, I had no problem beating women who played for their college! They could keep the ball in play ok, but when I really wanted the point, it was mine's with a drop shot, lob over the head, or hitting it right through them! It just wasn't a contest! :lolz: :angel:

K

Kenneth

Rose said:
I guess it is better for me because I'm bored to death waiting for the men to play at RG! I didn't even watch either of today's women's matches.

Yeah you have to give credits to women's matches for being shorter, so that we get to know the results faster :rolleyes:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kenneth said:
Rose said:
I guess it is better for me because I'm bored to death waiting for the men to play at RG! I didn't even watch either of today's women's matches.

Yeah you have to give credits to women's matches for being shorter, so that we get to know the results faster :rolleyes:

Some of the so called "crème-d-l-c" take us on a journey round after round! Players like Sharapova and Azarenka routinely make highlight reels being extended to a 3rd set TB by some nobody we've never heard of before! Those matches go longer than men's, at times over 3 hours!