Is it ok to stencil on natural gut?

JC255

In the Locker Room
Reactions
So I just purchased a set of the "Wilson Champions Choice" hybrid strings and I was getting ready to stencil on them when the thought of getting the strings wet kinda stopped me in my tracks. Is it ok to stencil on gut?

Thanks for any insight.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
So I just purchased a set of the "Wilson Champions Choice" hybrid strings and I was getting ready to stencil on them when the thought of getting the strings wet kinda stopped me in my tracks. Is it ok to stencil on gut?

Thanks for any insight.
I don't know the answer, but why would you choose to stencil on any strings? Maybe if you had a sponsor perhaps... but I can't think of any other reason. Also, if you are solely using gut, then how often do you play and/or change your strings?

JC255

In the Locker Room
Reactions
It's not pure gut, It's a hybrid set that uses the natural gut for the mains, and then it uses "Luxilon ALU Power Rough" for the crosses. I'm playing 3-4 times per week minimum and have never really been a string breaker. I don't know how long this first set is going to last, but I do know one thing, I won't be using anything else! $40 for the strings is a bit steep but it's been worth every penny thus far.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's not pure gut, It's a hybrid set that uses the natural gut for the mains, and then it uses "Luxilon ALU Power Rough" for the crosses. I'm playing 3-4 times per week minimum and have never really been a string breaker. I don't know how long this first set is going to last, but I do know one thing, I won't be using anything else! $40 for the strings is a bit steep but it's been worth every penny thus far.
You still haven't explained why you're stencilling. Sponsorship or Vanity?

Reactions: Kieran

JC255

In the Locker Room
Reactions
Well........ I don't think that really has anything to do with my question and it's painfully obvious you don't have a clue much less the answer to the question so we can just leave it at that.

• Haha

Tennis_Steve

Futures Player
Reactions
I string for folk and sometimes get asked to stencil.

Here's the great Pete Sampras with a full bed of natural gut and stencil

b5302686db943319a79842a95785823e.jpg

Federer, Djokovic, Murray, the Williams' all use gut / poly hybrids.
No issue stenciling there.

It will wear off the hit area, but as you move the racquet about the ink on the edges still shows.

Some pros say they can tell if a racquet is inked or not - it binds the strings everso slightly, when fresh, changing the feel.
They get used to ink quickly as that's what they get sponsored with..

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk