Internazionali BNL d'Italia, Rome, Italy - WTA 1000

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Their first meeting on clay, though Bouzkova did hold a H2H 1-0 over Gauff,
Bouzkova (27) d Gauff (6) 46 62 62.
Anyone who watched the match, will see what Coco has to do to improve her game, on her current form she will not be defending her finalist points in RG.
Coco's play of late is concerning, but I'm not writing her off yet until I see the draw. Don't forget that Coco didn't really play well at all during the first half of 2022, heading into the FO. She still went on that final run, even though it was aided in part by a very easy draw. If Coco gets a similar draw, she could make another run. To be honest, I thought Coco's play during the first half of 2021 and at the FO was better than 2022. Coco should have won the 2021 FO, but I felt she overlooked Krejcikova. Had she won that match, Coco likely beats Sakkari in the semis and Pavlyuchenkova in the finals.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Coco's play of late is concerning, but I'm not writing her off yet until I see the draw. Don't forget that Coco didn't really play well at all during the first half of 2022, heading into the FO. She still went on that final run, even though it was aided in part by a very easy draw. If Coco gets a similar draw, she could make another run. To be honest, I thought Coco's play during the first half of 2021 and at the FO was better than 2022. Coco should have won the 2021 FO, but I felt she overlooked Krejcikova. Had she won that match, Coco likely beats Sakkari in the semis and Pavlyuchenkova in the finals.
Yesterday in her match her serve was a big concern for me? she really needs to add more variety, that fhand of course, is a big concern, I feel she needs to get rid of the western grip on her fh? and experienced coach would fix that, at present her clay form is below par regardless of the draw, players ranked lower than Coco are defeating her. I also feel she should stop playing doubles every tournament, in the Madrid final she was flat, so was Pegula.Coco is too tentative,she isnt sure when to turn defense into offense, on clay that is the first rule of thumb, I was brought up on the red clay, so I do have some experience and knowledge of how to play clay tennis.Forget about 2022 etc, it is her present game, to me in ways she has gone backwards not forwards, she has to get an experience coach, she can still have her father with her traveling, I understand that,on her current clay form it is wishful thinking she can defend her finalists points at RG this year.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
She doesn't have to punish herself because Its not RG.She is practicing in Rome to play well in Paris.She has to play within herself..
But that's part of the problem Tossip. She's not playing within herself. I didn't see yesterday's match, but I've seen her other ones this year. To me, this isn't about the losses as much as the quality of her play and the ability to problem solve. You won't be at your best everyday, but we all know the true champs find a way to win when they don't have their best. Frankly some of these losses are absolutely unnecessary and complete head scratchers.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
But that's part of the problem Tossip. She's not playing within herself. I didn't see yesterday's match, but I've seen her other ones this year. To me, this isn't about the losses as much as the quality of her play and the ability to problem solve. You won't be at your best everyday, but we all know the true champs find a way to win when they don't have their best. Frankly some of these losses are absolutely unnecessary and complete head scratchers.
The bottom half of the draw opened up for Coco? she could not take advantage of it, her poor play I am afraid continues especially on her better surface clay. I am over talking about what she needs to do, it is up to Coco to fix the problems in her game, until she does, her results will be the same.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I don’t see her defending her finalist points in Paris, which will take her down several spots in the rankings.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I don’t see her defending her finalist points in Paris, which will take her down several spots in the rankings.
Agreed. I mentioned the same thing a few weeks ago and actually it may be a God-send because it will alleviate some of the pressure always having to defend that top 10 ranking until she sorts her game out.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Maybe that will be her wake up call.She is still very young and is probably burnt out.She is a hard worker and her time will come.I am feeling that she is going to win Wimbledon one day..Its just a hunch.She doesn't have to defend the finalist points.She has done well for someone with a forehand that seems like a liability.Once she strengthens that forehand she will shame the detractors.Coco is going to win a very big title in the next two years...yay

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
2 ladies matches were that were scheduled were cancelled due to wet weather,
Swiatek v Vekic
Badosa v Muchova. Both matches will be scheduled for Tuesday

Well done to Elena Rybakina making her first QF at Rome, defeating Vondrousova 63 63, she will either face Swiatek or Vekic in the QFs on Wednesday

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Theoretical schedule for tomorrow:
IMG_2557.jpeg

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Donna Vekic made Iga Swiatek work for her win today
Iga Swiatek 63 64 and will play Rybakina in the QF at least there is one projected QF that has come true lol!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seeing I am watching 2 games at once, well I am a woman and we are great multi taskers :)

This has been a good match between Badosa and Muchova, I love watching Muchova player with her all court game, not much in it at all
Badosa 1st set 64 and 5 all in the 2nd set
TB has just started for the 2nd set
Good TB from Muchova 76(4) going 3 in this match
This was a good match, impressed by Badosa's mentality and her willingness to fight on court well done Paula!
Badosa d Muchova 64 67(4) 62

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The bottom half of the ladies QFs are happening on at the same time would you believe? Italian Madness

Haddad Maia vs Kalinina
Kudermetova vs Zheng

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Zheng a player I love to watch seals the 1st set with an Ace to win 63 over Kudermetova
Kundermetova wins the 2nd set 63, going 3, though Zheng ground strokes are breaking down early in the 3rd set, Kudmertova with an early break, Zheng breaks back on serve early in the 3rd set

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kalinina was serving for the first set, broken, went to a TB where Haddad Maia played a good TB and won 76(2)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In a really enjoyable QF match, the conditions are slow, not usually the conditions in Rome at this time of the year
Kudermetova d Zheng 36 63 64