Internazionali BNL d'Italia- Rome ATP1000 - 14th May to 21st May

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Seppi was incredible against prime Djokovic at RG 2012 in the first 2 sets but then bottled it and lost in 5. He's no pushover when in full flight.

But he is now a shadow of what he used to be.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
The draw for Rome is already out. No surprise, Fed did not take a last minute wild card. It is a rather boring draw with the projected quarterfinals almost the same as that in Madrid. Just interchange Milos and Thiem from the projected quarterfinals of Madrid, you get the projected quarterfinals of Rome.

Here are the projected quarterfinals.

Andy vs. Milos
Stan vs. Cilic
Thiem vs. Rafa
Nishikori vs. Novak

The only interesting thing is that JMDP is back, but plays against Grigor in the opening round.

As we have seen first time MS finalists in MC and Madrid in Ramos and Thiem, it will be interesting to see if we will have a new one here as well.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
But he is now a shadow of what he used to be.

Seppi lost to Almagro in the opening round and so does not have to worry about facing Rafa.

MC finalist Ramos is also taken out in the opening round by Isner. Querry defeats Pouille in another upset.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Are they still having this tournament? I thought maybe they'd cancel it and give the trophy, the check and the 1,000 points to Nadal since nobody else seems to care about the clay season enough to even give a minimal effort. I guess the tournament financiers are soldiering on with the thing because they want to try to recoup their investment? Wake me when the clay court season is over and the rest of the players start caring again because right now - nobody but Nadal gives a crap about these clay court tournaments.

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Happily a bit surprised to see that Juan Martin took out Dimitrov in 3. Grigor looked like he'd given up in that final game. Bad attitude. :nono:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Italian Open Men's Singles Round 1 matches on Monday

Juan Martin Del Potro (Argentina) beat 10-Grigor Dimitrov (Bulgaria) 3-6 6-2 6-3
Florian Mayer (Germany) beat Thiago Monteiro (Brazil) 6-4 6-2
Kyle Edmund (Britain) beat Joao Sousa (Portugal) 6-3 6-4
Nicolas Almagro (Spain) beat Andreas Seppi (Italy) 7-6(6) 6-3
Carlos Berlocq (Argentina) beat Robin Haase (Netherlands) 6-3 7-5
Viktor Troicki (Serbia) beat Stefano Napolitano (Italy) 7-6(1) 6-2
9-David Goffin (Belgium) beat Thomaz Bellucci (Brazil) 6-7(5) 6-3 6-4
Aljaz Bedene (Britain) beat Gianluca Mager (Italy) 6-7(3) 6-4 3-0 (Mager retired)
12-Tomas Berdych (Czech Republic) beat Mischa Zverev (Germany) 7-6(7) 6-4
Jan-Lennard Struff (Germany) beat Bernard Tomic (Australia) 6-7(8) 6-1 6-4
Sam Querrey (U.S.) beat 11-Lucas Pouille (France) 7-6(6) 7-6(8)
Ryan Harrison (U.S.) beat Jared Donaldson (U.S.) 2-6 7-6(0) 6-3

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The clay season is getting more and more interesting looking to some young gems which are trying everything they can. And me begging that Rafa has a early exit in Roma :rolleyes:

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Seppi was incredible against prime Djokovic at RG 2012 in the first 2 sets but then bottled it and lost in 5. He's no pushover when in full flight.

Nadal ends up with Almagro instead of Seppi. Probably a tougher match right now. Almagro has been doing OK.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I have a question......why everybody is sooooo concerned about what Rafa does and who is his opponent. Then it seems that he always has a tough opponent or some posters are waiting that he lose to someone. Relax guys, he probably will leave early this tournament :whistle:

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal will possibly have to play Thiem in the QF and Djokovic in the SF. In addition to that, Murray lurks as a possible opponent in the final although that has a minimal chance.

Not an easy draw.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Nadal will possibly have to play Thiem in the QF and Djokovic in the SF. In addition to that, Murray lurks as a possible opponent in the final although that has a minimal chance.

Not an easy draw.

That's the way it should be; but still doesn't seem to stop the same players winning year after year! This is really beginning to look ridiculous; 2006 Redux in fact! :facepalm: :negative: :spank2: :spank:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have a question......why everybody is sooooo concerned about what Rafa does and who is his opponent. Then it seems that he always has a tough opponent or some posters are waiting that he lose to someone. Relax guys, he probably will leave early this tournament :whistle:

At this moment in time, Rafa is the man to beat, so, yes, some folks are wondering who might take him down. I'm with you, in that I wouldn't mind if he bowed out early. Who better to give the cap to than Nico?

Not an easy draw.

It's not an easy draw, which is why Carol and I wouldn't mind seeing him out. Though it would be rather fine to get another W over Djokovic before RG. :good:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's the way it s/b; but still doesn't seem to stop the same players winning yr after yr! This is really beginning to look ridiculous; 2006 Redux! :facepalm:
It's ridiculous that a supremely talented player on clay, probably the best ever, still manages to win on clay. The deck must be stacked, eh?

Reactions: Carol

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's ridiculous that a supremely talented player on clay, probably the best ever, still manages to win on clay. The deck must be stacked, eh?
It's really funny to see how some people are suffering instead of to enjoy the game :D

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
"I hope Rafa loses early."

Sorry folks, not buying it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
"I hope Rafa loses early."

Sorry folks, not buying it.
If you mean Carol and me, there's an argument for it. He's ticked every box and gotten every shiny object that he needs for this clay season, going into RG. If Roger is cautious enough to skip the French Open, why shouldn't Rafa be prudent enough to catch his breath before the tournament he really wants to win, too? I'd be perfectly happy if he goes down to Nico Almagro and takes a nice fishing break in Mallorca before the French.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hey everyone, the forum doesn't look too shabby I must say. I like UI.

So Novak gets Mr Walkover in the quarters again. Despicable and disgusting.

Reactions: britbox

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
OK, fair enough, Moxie. I just can't imagine not wanting my guy to win whatever tournament he's in, except perhaps if it is an ATP 250 or 500.

I also think that Rafa and Roger have different priorities. Roger is all about the Slams, and remaining healthy long enough to win another Slam or two. Rafa obviously wants as many Slams as he can win, but he also probably wants to get back to #1 and win that elusive WTF, which aren't as big of priorities for Roger (I'm sure he'd like to do both, but doesn't "need" to).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, fair enough, Moxie. I just can't imagine not wanting my guy to win whatever tournament he's in, except perhaps if it is an ATP 250 or 500.

I also think that Rafa and Roger have different priorities. Roger is all about the Slams, and remaining healthy long enough to win another Slam or two. Rafa obviously wants as many Slams as he can win, but he also probably wants to get back to #1 and win that elusive WTF, which aren't as big of priorities for Roger (I'm sure he'd like to do both, but doesn't "need" to).
I doubt I have a better hook-up to Nadal's desires than you do, but I don't think getting back to #1 is one of them. I'm pretty sure he'd love to win the WTF, and we'll see if he tries to time his year to that goal. I'm guessing he's pretty much all about the Majors, as Roger is. He just thinks that he needs to play lots of clay tennis to feel that he has his mojo back, which it appears he does. So now would be a good time to take a break. It would be nice to beat Djokovic one more time before RG, but otherwise, what really is the point?

Reactions: Shivashish Sarkar

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It is all speculation, of course - so who knows. I think we both agree that Rafa and Roger are both primarily focused on Slams. But what I'm saying is that where Roger might be, say, 95% about Slams and 5% about other accomplishments, Rafa is more like 90% about Slams and 10% about other accomplishments, especially WTF...or something like that (the exact numbers are unimportant and clearly artificial, but are meant only to illustrate a point).