How many of you want to see Nadal vs Federer AU OPEN 2017 final ?

TimChristopher

In the Locker Room
Reactions
Like me, how many of you expecting
Federer–Nadal rivalry back again ?

Reactions: Moxie

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The last thing I want to see unless it's the first week at Wimbledon. Form and nothing else matters, Roger will get embarrassed in the final if that plays out.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm surprised so many people want this. Have they seen these matches the past 8-9 years?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm surprised so many people want this. Have they seen these matches the past 8-9 years?
8-9 years ago they were still producing thrilling matches, even if you didn't like the outcomes. They're both playing well right now, and it's a storied rivalry, whether you like it or not, dear Twisted. Of course people want to see it. There's been all too much of the metronomic tennis from Murray-Djokovic.

Reactions: shawnbm

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't want this final, I'ld prefer to see some new blood than the same old "déja vu" song...for me it's the worst final possible and I don't know if i'll have the courage to watch it to be honest (same for women's final, the worst possible)

Reactions: Mary

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've been waiting all tournament for somebody to get rid of Nadal. I had higher hopes for Zverev (a fan of) than Raonic (not a fan of)... but here we are. I like Dimi's game, and we know how Fedal finals typically go... but what the hell... let's roll the dice and see what happens. Double Six comes up occasionally...

Both players are out of their prime, feeling the pressure.... I'm starting to look at it from a risk and reward viewpoint... Will Federer's legacy diminish if he loses to Nadal? A tiny bit... but that X is cast in stone already. Will his legacy improve if he wins?... quite a bit more than the negative if he loses. To hell with it, bring it on...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've been waiting all tournament for somebody to get rid of Nadal. I had higher hopes for Zverev (a fan of) than Raonic (not a fan of)... but here we are. I like Dimi's game, and we know how Fedal finals typically go... but what the hell... let's roll the dice and see what happens. Double Six comes up occasionally...

Both players are out of their prime, feeling the pressure.... I'm starting to look at it from a risk and reward viewpoint... Will Federer's legacy diminish if he loses to Nadal? A tiny bit... but that X is already cast in stone already. Will his legacy improve if he wins?... quite a bit more than the negative if he loses. To hell with it, bring it on...
It took me a long time to realize just how much animosity even the most moderate Fed fans harbor against Nadal, but good on you for honesty.

I'm not sure Rafa will beat Dimitrov, but if he does, and Rafa and Roger play one more final (and I'm fairly sure it will be the last,) I don't think it would impact anything, in terms of the h2h. They're fairly geriatric, and the h2h is what it is. However, the impact in legacy could be huge. 18th for Federer is more than a cherry on the cherry. Or the 15th for Nadal would be likewise really significant. But I don't want to get ahead of things. If Dimitrov wins tomorrow, I'll be rooting for him in the final.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I'd agree with you if the slam race wasn't so close. The next few nights may end up deciding tennis history to a degree. If Roger gets 18 here then Rafa has pretty much no chance to catch up. If Rafa wins here he has a pretty darn good chance especially if Roger stays at 17. I hate it, I blame Roger 100% for blowing tons of opportunities to win 3-5 more, but those are the facts. Another crazy stat backing this up is the semifinal stat: This was Roger's 41st and this will just be 25 for Rafa yet he may end up being just 2 slams behind in a couple days. Rafa has made the most of his opportunities at the business end of slams.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I can't count that guy out but a lot of it is circumstances. Nole has fallen off in a huge way and that leaves the slams very wide open as we see here. If he was himself and in this semi I don't think Rafa fans or us Fed fans would have too much to be excited about in all honesty. Given the state of Nole I think Rafa is going to be a big favorite at RG again regardless of what happens here. I think this is a bigger possibility than you're stating. And the young guns still haven't truly arrived. Zverev might be damn good in the near future but he isn't yet.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with BB, in the sense that Rafa won't get to 17 or 18no matter what happens in the next few days. The impact of a win here would be that the AO would put Rafa alone behind Roger, and give him the double career Slam, so that would be big for his legacy. And he'd be favored for RG. As you say, he'll be one of the favorites now, anyway.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
@Twisted You're really overselling Novak's drop imo. It's not like he'll be playing this way forever. Even if he is regressing he'll still be the best player in the world, or at least, win a few more majors. There's no doubt about it.

TimChristopher

In the Locker Room
Reactions
And it's official Federer-Nadal final, yyyyyaaaaaaaaaaay.

AU-OPEN-MEN-FINAL-2017.jpg