How do you NOT KNOW you're in someone else's home?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Jury finds former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger guilty of murder -

Amber Guyger got 10 years in prison Wednesday for murdering Botham Jean, a sentence that set off angry chants outside the courtroom and an unexpected moment of forgiveness inside.

"If you truly are sorry," Botham's 18-year-old brother, Brandt Jean, told Guyger from the witness stand before walking down and embracing her, "I know I can speak for myself, I forgive you."

The victim's mother, Allison Jean, said Guyger's sentence would give the fired officer 10 years to reflect and "change her life." The native St. Lucian also called for change and a renewed focus on police training in the city where her son died.

"There is much more to be done by the city of Dallas," she said, addressing a crowd gathered around her on the seventh floor of the courthouse. "The corruption that we saw during this process must stop."

After a day of testimony focused on how long Guyger would spend in prison, Jean's 18-year-old brother said in his victim-impact statement that he wished she didn't have to serve any time at all.

Instead, he said, he wanted for Guyger what his older brother would have wanted.

"I think giving your life to Christ would be the best thing that Botham would want for you," he told her. "I love you as a person, and I don't wish anything bad on you."

"Can I give her a hug, please?" Brandt Jean asked. "Please."

As soon as the judge said it was OK, Guyger rushed to the victim's brother and wrapped her arms around him. They held each other in a long embrace, while sobbing could be heard in the courtroom. State District Judge Tammy Kemp wiped away tears during the moment.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/courts/ ... der-trial/

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
How do you not know when you're in someone else's home? This is the part that no one can understand. Other people's apartments smell different to yours, for one thing. You'd have to be seriously impaired, and I've never heard anyone say that the officer had been drinking before she went home. During a long car ride last week, my cousin and I came up with a theory on this one. It's going to sound a little paranoid, but bear with me. We both agreed that the part about not realizing she wasn't in her own apartment just doesn't add up. My cousin had a friend of a colleague, a kindergarten teacher, who was murdered some years back by a neighbor with a grudge, because the teacher had lodged noise complaints against him. My cousin's idea is that there may have been a grudge of some kind. Now I had just finished reading a NYer article about how much the cops protect each other, this one about a cop's wife who supposedly tried to commit suicide by shooting herself in the top of the head - twice! - and the cop husband was completely protected in the investigation by other cops, while other witnesses went unheard. Not so much a Thin Blue Line as a Thick one.

So, suppose this cop, Guyger, had a grudge against this neighbor. Went upstairs and shot him in cold blood. Other cops show up and back her story. They couldn't get her off, because she didn't shoot him in the line of duty, but she got 10 years and will likely be out in 5. If she actually did just shoot her neighbor because she was sick of the noise, or she hated him for some reason or he rejected her, or whatever...a normal citizen would be looking at 25-life. There could have been a lot of cops who didn't pursue any other theories and just supported her story in what they do and don't do, and no one will be the wiser. It's a theory, because the story, as it stands, doesn't make sense. And I agree with @Fiero425 ...she didn't really take responsibility. Her first worry was that she'd lose her job, FFS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tented

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
If someone's truly sorry for something, they take responsibility for their actions and don't try to get an acquittal! She's FOS and the BRO too! ;-(
I agree she's full of sh1t but why is the brother?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I agree she's full of sh1t but why is the brother?

It was the show on TV in court along with the judge doing the same and giving Guyger that bible! It's hard to explain how I feel about people like this forgiving heinous acts! The scene in North Carolina from a few years ago where that kid shot up a church killing 7 congregants had the same dynamics! The survivors are expected to forgive, hug it out, then move on! It doesn't happen the other way as much; IF EVER! I just wouldn't be hugging someone who was in total denial about her participation in a drama and to the end doesn't want to face any real punishment! :nono: :facepalm: :cuckoo: :help: :negative: :eek: :oops: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It was the show on TV in court along with the judge doing the same and giving Guyger that bible! It's hard to explain how I feel about people like this forgiving heinous acts! The scene in North Carolina from a few years ago where that kid shot up a church killing 7 congregants had the same dynamics! The survivors are expected to forgive, hug it out, then move on! It doesn't happen the other way as much; IF EVER! I just wouldn't be hugging someone who was in total denial about her participation in a drama and to the end doesn't want to face any real punishment! :nono: :facepalm: :cuckoo: :help: :negative: :eek: :oops: :rolleyes:
yes but surely you should be applauding people who have such Grace. Why would you malign such people, who have experienced such tragedy, for having the ability to forgive? Like you such forgiveness is quite beyond me, but I respect the hell out of people capable of such acts. Now the judge.... that was appalling. I'm not sure that judge should ever sit on the bench again..

Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
@vince evert
Oh, she knew she wasn't in the right home. Now the question is why she executed him. Her story doesn't add up. I believe they knew each other and maybe one day those facts will be revealed.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
yes but surely you should be applauding people who have such Grace. Why would you malign such people, who have experienced such tragedy, for having the ability to forgive? Like you such forgiveness is quite beyond me, but I respect the hell out of people capable of such acts. Now the judge.... that was appalling. I'm not sure that judge should ever sit on the bench again..
I meant to post this earlier, but Michel Martin did a very interesting segment questioning why black people are so often called upon to forgive, when not being afforded the same grace and gestures on their behalf. It's an interesting and considered conversation, if anyone is inclined:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's not that uncommon not to know you're in someone else's house...look at Israel.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: britbox