Handling very heavy topspin

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
i am a 4.0 player when I am able to play more often than of late, but a very heavy topspin shot is still problematic--so, Federer fans and Roger himself can just zip it; I'm talkin' here! :ras:

Should I take it on the rise? Should I drop back and let it start to drop? Should I meet it at waist height and use a more western grip and pancake it back flat? Perhaps resort to a slice? What do better players do against excessive topspin that is not Nadalesque but still tons more than anyone else you play against?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Taking it on the rise requires exceptional timing, as you know, and it's more difficult to control direction, and although sometimes the best way to counter your opponents bully strike is with some curt aggression of your own, but you know yourself, it's easier said than done.

If you have a decent slice, this might be the most cautious approach. Is he piling it nicely onto your backhand with a whopping lefty spin? Helping him with his wedgie might work, particularly if you leave him in a permanent wedge... :snigger

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I actually handle the topspin better on my backhand side, which is my stronger side. I grew up with a mixed Connors chop/McEnroe slap FH and then a few years ago took lessons to learn to hit a topspin FH. I hit mine pretty heavily too, but it sails long more than I wish. It is hitting back against heavy topspin with my FH that is tough. I would love to actually try and hit a Rafa full on crosscourt special he serves up to Roger!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
How do people hit back against your topspin, Shawn?

And if ever it was true that you must dance with the one what brung ya...I modelled my two-hander on Borg when I was a kid, and though now I tend to slap at a single-hander a bit, I grip with both hands when I'm serious. Get bigger dents in the backstop... :laydownlaughing

But yeah, I can scoop a fine parabola off the two hander. And, of course, huge disguise. I only play topspin on the forehand side as a safety measure. Usually I try whack through the ball flat...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
IF you can, try and take it on the rise, but like Kieran said - timing (and positioning) is everything. Are you single or double on the backhand?

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks guys--I have a single hander, which I modeled on Lendl's BH back in the day. I never could hit a two-hander. Yet, the Mac influence was there too; one of the easiest shots for me to hit (and which amazes guys I hit with) is the half-volley flick on the BH side right off the court. I watched Mac hit that shot so many times that I did it and it became an instinctive shot (Roger does it too, although it is not as jerky). I rarely miss that shot, but it is harder to control with vicious topspin, I must say. I am going to make a conscious effort to try and take the ball on the rise. Might go to the ball machine for some practice.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kirijax Playing Tennis 7