"Five Minutes Before the F-ing Match!"

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Anyone have any idea what this was about?

Here's a relevant quote from the article:

Photographers on Centre Court on Wednesday told the Guardian they heard Murray scream “Shut the fuck up!” in the direction of his box during the second set, at around 2.13pm. Then, towards the end of a tense match when standing beneath the Royal Box, where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were among the guests, the snappers said he shouted: “Five minutes before the fucking match!”

It was not immediately clear if this was a reference to some disagreement he had with his new coach, Amélie Mauresmo, or his team – or something else entirely. “I’m not going to go into details of what my game plan and tactics are for any of the matches that I play,” he said.

A royal admonishment? Disagreement with coachie? Mommy being nasty? Trouble with the missus, maybe? :puzzled

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's doomed to be a mystery, but the Telegraph is suggesting that maybe he was hustled on court early.

What's just as mysterious to me is that he ejaculated this on court during the match. In the third set.

I mean - why? :huh: :s

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Frustration.

(Although usually one ejaculates for the opposite reason).

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
How conclusively was "shut the f up" directed at his box, because there might be a story there if that was definitely the case.

If not, just Andy losing control of his mouth when he's struggling, nothing new, sadly.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
It's doomed to be a mystery, but the Telegraph is suggesting that maybe he was hustled on court early.

What's just as mysterious to me is that he ejaculated this on court during the match. In the third set.

I mean - why? :huh: :s

The good old media in the UK have gone back to their laughable trend of now calling him a Scotsman again since he lost but no doubt he'd be British if he'd won. :laydownlaughing

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
We're seeing the Murray meltdowns of the pre-Lendl era.

UK media math:

1 Scot + 1 Wimbledon title = a Brit

Subtract the title and you're left with a Scot.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ It's an old adage but in reality it is an urban myth. He's called both in equal measure when winning or losing. I could find an article calling him a scot when he's won for every article calling him a scot when he's lost.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
^ It's an old adage but in reality it is an urban myth. He's called both in equal measure when winning or losing. I could find an article calling him a scot when he's won for every article calling him a scot when he's lost.

That's true alright. Equal measures alright as regards his nationality. Still funny though :cool: It's about as black and white as orange :D

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
britbox said:

This. It's nothing more than a running joke in the UK that he's called Scottish when he loses and British when he wins. Nobody should read anything into it if they see him called one or the other.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
According to tabloids, Kim and Andy left the stadium in separate Wimbledon cars.
Apparently, they have footage of Kim walking alone angrily or in frustration
during or after the match. The "5 minutes" comment is probably something to do]
with Kim than with Amelie or other members of the team or the royal box.
I am sure, the main stream British media will do follow up stories on this very soon
(after all what else can they write about: Their soccer team lost in the group stage,
Their cricket team lost to Sri Lanka and their star tennis player goes out listlessly).

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
I went on record as saying there were clear and distinct reasons that Murray fell behind the other 3, and for his late breakout. He is CLEARLY the weakest mentally of the Big Four. His attitude has been a major reason for him being so polarizing even in his beloved UK.

His disheveled demeanor and appearance have worn thin.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Let me add that if he thought he was going to push his way to a title defense...well....you know

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
According to tabloids, Kim and Andy left the stadium in separate Wimbledon cars.
Apparently, they have footage of Kim walking alone angrily or in frustration
during or after the match. The "5 minutes" comment is probably something to do]
with Kim than with Amelie or other members of the team or the royal box.
I am sure, the main stream British media will do follow up stories on this very soon
(after all what else can they write about: Their soccer team lost in the group stage,
Their cricket team lost to Sri Lanka and their star tennis player goes out listlessly).

Froome had better win the Tour de France.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Luxilon Borg said:
Let me add that if he thought he was going to push his way to a title defense...well....you know

That was a "pipe dream" really! He hadn't been playing, was getting over a serious injury, and trying out a new coach! He was lucky to make it as far as he did in this "so called" title defense! He wasn't that great to begin with; how could rational people think he could waltz in and take another major! He overachieved as far as I was concerned and probably maxed out what little talent he had! He's stubborn, refusing to take it to even the lowest of player; he can't expect to do much against the top echelon with his attitude of playing so defensively? :nono :puzzled :rolleyes: :angel:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Luxilon Borg said:

That was a "pipe dream" really! He hadn't been playing, was getting over a serious injury, and trying out a new coach! He was lucky to make it as far as he did in this "so called" title defense! He wasn't that great to begin with; how could rational people think he could waltz in and take another major! He overachieved as far as I was concerned and probably maxed out what little talent he had! He's stubborn, refusing to take it to even the lowest of player; he can't expect to do much against the top echelon with his attitude of playing so defensively? :nono :puzzled :rolleyes: :angel:

Um, OK.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
Fiero425 said:
Luxilon Borg said:

Um, OK.

A bit extreme, but he makes a valid point, you must agree.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Luxilon Borg said:
El Dude said:
Fiero425 said:
Luxilon Borg said:

Um, OK.

A bit extreme, but he makes a valid point, you must agree.

I understand counter-punching, but that doesn't mean you continue to let others attack and get away with running you around indefinitely! Evonne Goolagong was one of my favorite players back in the 70's and was the best at it; playing defensively at times, but had the sense to attack herself; esp. with her serve and volley talents! IIRC Murray was quite willing to play offensive tennis, but changed his mindset several years ago and decided to what I call "an ego trip" of winning with guts and guile! When I really needed the practice preparing for a tournament, I'd do the same thing! What good did it do to pound serves and put away easy volleys? To get the work I'd stay back, move my opponent around, and try to wear them down! When I really needed the point I could revert back to offensive play! Murray waits until he's about out of the tournament before realizing he needs to make some kind of change; then it's too late like against Grigor yesterday!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Lads, stop slagging the counter-punchers! Rafa counter-punched his way to 14 majors, that right, Lux? :snigger