Films that have made you think or have really changed the way you thought about something

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Everyone thinks that watching films or T.V. is easy but some films really make you think or change the way you think about something. I can think of 3 off-hand. I wonder if anyone else has come across any & would be interested in knowing which films really made you think or changed the way you thought about things maybe with a video. Please feel free to share & enjoy.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Horsa

Reactions
The theory of everything is 1 of the films which really made me think. It's a very good film but it's not easy to watch as there is so much in it. I only got part of it the 1st time I watched. The 2nd time I watched, I watched with subtitles so I could catch more. The 3rd time I watched I took notes. My Sister bought me it as a Xmas present & I've got to understand it all as she wants me to explain everything to her.

Horsa

Reactions
Reach for the Sky really changed the way I thought because it tells the story of Douglas Bader & after he had his leg amputated he fought to fly again. He was put in command of an air crew & they were all saying "He's got a wooden leg, we'll be carrying him" but he showed them. Another memorable scene was when he went for a medical & they said "you're 100% fit apart from the legs" & he said "that's like saying you're 100% sane when you haven't got a brain".

Horsa

Reactions
A beautiful mind really changed the way I thought about mental illness. Before I watched it I thought that people who couldn't tell the difference between reality & fiction were off their heads. It showed me that although people normally think of mentally ill people as off their heads some are actually very intelligent like the late great American mathematician John Nash who the film is based on. He was absolutely amazing. I wouldn't even begin to understand what he came up with. It was such a shame about the Schizophrenia.

I'd love to help end the stigma of mental health because a lot of people have needlessly died because of it.

1stly, everyone has a mental health whether good or bad & they travel up & down the scale constantly. Some of the smartest people I know suffer from mental health problems which range from common conditions such as phobias, insomnia, anxiety & depression. (I normally section emotional difficulties from other mental health issues). Other intelligent people who suffered from mental health problems were Charlotte Bronte & Charles Dickens. Anyone can suffer from them at any time. Creative people & people with excellent memories are more prone to suffering from them as well as people who have had harsh lives. They are very treatable. Sometimes drugs are the only answer but at other times drugs are used in conjunction with talking therapies such as C.B.T. or T.A. & sometimes people get the choice of whether to use C.B.T. or T.A instead of drugs. Self-esteem, confidence-building & assertiveness courses are sometimes very helpful. There are good online courses that are very helpful too.

Anyway, I won't go full pelt into what I really know about it including more details about C.B.T. or T.A. & share links to good online resources because this is a film thread & I've rambled on too long. It's a normally taboo subject which it shouldn't be as this stigma really needs to end & people need more help.

Horsa

Reactions
The greatest showman really sends the message that anyone can get anywhere they want if they have imagination & talent & are prepared to work hard. It also shows that it doesn't matter how many people treat you like dirt you can always prove them wrong if you work hard & use that imagination & talent. It gives the message that it's o.k. to be unique & be who you are as you'll find somewhere where you'll fit in & people will accept you & you should be brave & proud of who you are especially in the song "This is me." which goes "this is me. This is who I am. I am brave. Take me for who I am.".

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Usually documentaries - there is a good documentary on World War II on Netflix... illustrates the incredible hardship suffered by our forefathers and how lucky we are today.

I remember a Micheal Moore docu on the Iraq war that made me think differently about the US armed forces.

Horsa

Reactions
Usually documentaries - there is a good documentary on World War II on Netflix... illustrates the incredible hardship suffered by our forefathers and how lucky we are today.

I remember a Micheal Moore docu on the Iraq war that made me think differently about the US armed forces.
I agree. I like some documentaries.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Also, Michael Moore's "Capitalism: A Love Story" is a pretty chilling documentary. It basically illustrated how the American political system has been totally corrupted by big business - particularly the big banks.

Horsa

Reactions
Also, Michael Moore's "Capitalism: A Love Story" is a pretty chilling documentary. It basically illustrated how the American political system has been totally corrupted by big business - particularly the big banks.
That sounds interesting.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That sounds interesting.

Moore's documentaries are usually top drawer (IMO)... He's got one called Fahrenheit 11/9 about the Trump presidency (which I haven't seen yet)... The name is a play on an earlier one that he did Fahrenheit 9/11 which was about the Bush era (George Bush was the worst president in American history IMO).

Horsa

Reactions
Moore's documentaries are usually top drawer (IMO)... He's got one called Fahrenheit 11/9 about the Trump presidency (which I haven't seen yet)... The name is a play on an earlier one that he did Fahrenheit 9/11 which was about the Bush era (George Bush was the worst president in American history IMO).
Thank you very much for your information. I haven't seen any of his documentaries. I haven't really thought about who the worst American president is but seeing what I've seen so far of Trump's presidency he's got to be in the run-in for the title. (I'm more up on the Native American, Mountain men, Homesteaders, Cattle ranchers & cowboy side of American history than presidents though I know about the role America played in W.W.I.).