Favorite Paintings

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have a few that range from Joan Miro to the ethereal works of El Greco. My two favorites, though, are Las Meninas by Diego Velazquez and Guernica by Pablo Picasso. The former because of all the different viewpoints depicted of the Spanish royal court and the painting of Velazquez himself into the photo, all while the king and queen enter from behind--as reflected in a mirror--is one of the heights of artistic creative genius. The latter due to the sheer power of the political statement Picasso was making against Generalisimo Franco--who was a galician who spoke gallego growing up, yet was adamant about centralizing the power of Madrid and Castililan over all others because of the fear of all things Red. He therefore permitted the sacrifice of the Basque town in the buildup to the Second World War. The piece has great drama and symbolism.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
another superb idea. we need such a thread and we will all help support it.

I love paintings.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Great thread, Shawn!

Two of my favorites:

Van Gogh's Starry Night over the Rhone

776px-Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Starry_Night_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Mark Rothko's Black on Maroon [one of the Seagram Building murals]

Mark-Rothko-Black-on-Maroon-Mural-Section-3-1959-The-Seagram-Murals-.jpg

Reactions: shawnbm

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Great idea for a thread, Shawn. You took mentioned two of my favorites in your OP: Las Meninas and La Guernica. So I will add Picasso's reinterpretation of Las Meninas:

picasso-las-meninas.jpg

• Love

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know very little about art or artists... I just like or dislike individual pieces.

I don't get tented's second selection.

I like this kind of stuff...

William_Frederick_Yeames_-_And_when_did_you_last_see_your_father%3F_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

It hangs in the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool, UK.

It's a piece about the English Civil War called "And when was the last time you saw your father?" depicting a royalist house taken over by roundheads with the undertone being that the royalist father isn't too far away and whether the young son gives him up inadvertently.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:
I know very little about art or artists... I just like or dislike individual pieces.

I like this kind of stuff...

William_Frederick_Yeames_-_And_when_did_you_last_see_your_father%3F_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

It hangs in the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool, UK.

It's a piece about called "And when was the last time you saw your father?" depicting a royalist house taken over by roundheads with the undertone being that the royalist father isn't too far away and if the son gives him up inadvertently.

Weirdly, I couldn't see the piece until I chose to reply. Also, your linked image is really big...can you find a smaller one?

I think I know this painting. Will come back to you when I can see it.

To address your comment, no one needs to know about art or painting to know what speaks to them. I'm sure that's why painters paint...not to appeal to critics. (OK, yes there are probably a few of those.) I hope everyone will drop in here with favorites without feeling they need an Art History degree.

As to the Rothko that tented offered up, I'm a huge fan of Rothko, as well, and I have to say the power is in the painting. They don't really translate to 2-D images. Next time you get to see one live, though, do give it a minute. He paints panels of color, but they really pack an emotional punch.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hi Moxie,

I must have been editing the post as you were replying. You should be able to see it now and automatically resized.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Got it. I see you like a narrative in your painting, so please explain. What is a "round-head?" Obviously there is lots of back-story here.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Got it. I see you like a narrative in your painting, so please explain. What is a "round-head?" Obviously there is lots of back-story here.

The English Civil War in the 17th Century was a war between the King and Parliament. The King's men - the royalists, were known as the "Cavaliers" for the their flamboyant highly successful cavalry in the early part of the war. The cavalry was led by Prince Rupert, who used to have a small spaniel under his cloak. His Uncle, King Charles I also had these dogs - later named King Charles Cavalier Spaniels.

The Parliamentarians were known as the "Roundheads" because of their haircuts - parliaments army were generally given shorter standard bowl cut haircuts and many were puritanical in religious beliefs.

The country was split between the two factions including among families where you might have siblings on different sides.

Parliament eventually won the war and King Charles I was beheaded in 1649. The protectorate put in place was not particularly popular and in 1660 his son Charles II was returned to the throne and the monarchy restored.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Great idea for a thread, Shawn. You took mentioned two of my favorites in your OP: Las Meninas and La Guernica. So I will add Picasso's reinterpretation of Las Meninas:

picasso-las-meninas.jpg

Really nice, Princesa Moxie. I would post pictures of Las Meninas and Guernica, but I don't know how to do it and bring it here. Is it really as simple as copying and pasting with a piece of art off the net? I will see what I can do or someone here can do it and it will likely get done faster.

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
shawnbm said:
I would post pictures of Las Meninas and Guernica, but I don't know how to do it and bring it here. Is it really as simple as copying and pasting with a piece of art off the net? I will see what I can do or someone here can do it and it will likely get done faster.

Here you go, Shawn:

Las Meninas

667px-Las_Meninas_%281656%29%2C_by_Velazquez.jpg

Guernica

picasso_guernica1937.jpg

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks so much for doing that, tented! God I love those paintings. There is so much going on in Velazquez' work it just turns me on. What creative artistry. Pablo, well, there is only one Pablito and Guernica is so powerful. Thanks again. :)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
britbox said:

As to the Rothko that tented offered up, I'm a huge fan of Rothko, as well, and I have to say the power is in the painting. They don't really translate to 2-D images. Next time you get to see one live, though, do give it a minute. He paints panels of color, but they really pack an emotional punch.

Also, the actual painting is 26.67 x 45.72 meters (87.5 x 150 feet) -- another reason it doesn't come across well in this format.

Not a great choice of mine, then, but I love it so much I couldn't resist sharing it with everyone. I'll come up with some more which work better.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here is one of mine:

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/his/CoreArt/art/neocl_dav_soc.html

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks for posting on this topic, cali. I am familiar with the painting and likewise find it fascinating--precisely because of all that is going on in the painting. hell--any painting with Socrates and Plato in it is almost ipso facto worthy, but this one has "life" to it. :)

Clay Death said:
absolutely sensational thread. keep it coming.

I am enjoying it.

Thanks for the kind word, General. Please feel free to post other favorites of yours. Peace.

tented said:
Great thread, Shawn!

Two of my favorites:

Van Gogh's Starry Night over the Rhone

776px-Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Starry_Night_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Mark Rothko's Black on Maroon [one of the Seagram Building murals]

Mark-Rothko-Black-on-Maroon-Mural-Section-3-1959-The-Seagram-Murals-.jpg

I neglected to tell you, tented, that Starry Night Over the Rhone is certainly one of the finest and most influential paintings ever. Thanks for posting it. Fine taste. I am unfamiliar with the Seagram's Building piece, but I shall go look it up! :)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
shawnbm said:
I neglected to tell you, tented, that Starry Night Over the Rhone is certainly one of the finest and most influential paintings ever. Thanks for posting it. Fine taste. I am unfamiliar with the Seagram's Building piece, but I shall go look it up! :)

Here's a brief history of the Seagram murals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rothko#Seagram_Murals_.2F_Four_Seasons_Restaurant_commission

I'm glad you also enjoy Starry Night Over the Rhone. While the other Starry Night painting is one of the most famous in the world, I prefer this one.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
my art gallery had around 20,000 views at the forum which I left behind for good.

lets keep these paintings and images coming.

at least we give the existing members, the potential members, and viewers something to enjoy.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I really love this guy's work, Onni Nordman. I don't have a favourite among his paintings, but today I do, and it's this one.

He's Finnish-Canadian and very generous in his creativity, hurling the stuff at you in a torrent of oils, acrylic, tar, mesh, soot, whatever he thinks will get it across. I must say, those busy and thematically developed style of paintings are things I could look at for ages...