EquineAnn Horse Planet

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I just kept coming up with ideas for horse questions so decided to set a horse quiz if anyone wants a go? I think it's quite easy.

1. Who wrote Black Beauty?
2. What film set in the American depression is about a race-horse?
3. Whereabouts on a horse is its forelock?
4. Which film contains the line "Come on Chester! Move your bloody arse!"?
5. The eohippus was the ancestor of what common animal?
6. What is the equus caballus better known as?
7. Who has a famous breed of horse named after him?
8. Which Danielle Steele book is named after a breed of horse?
9. Who wrote the horse whisperer?
10. What was Flicka in my friend Flicka?
11. What was the horse called in the Norman Wisdom film, the early bird?
12. In what Norman Wisdom film does Norman place an accumulator?
13. What 2 Anglo-Saxon names mean Horse & Stallion respectively?
14. What animals are seen wild in the Camargue, Connemara, Dartmoor, Exmoor, the New Forest, Eriskay & Iceland?
15. What does Phillip mean?
16. Where on a horse can you find its poll?
17. Other than horses & ponies what other animals are classified as equine?
18. What was Dick Turpin's horse called?
19. The only association with horses is the name of this sitcom but in Only fools & horses who did Del Boy often call a plonker?
20. What type of horses were Irish draughts, Clydesdales, Shires, Suffolk punches & Gypsy Vanners?

Horsa

Reactions
Did you know that Equus sylvestris, 1 of the domestic horse's ancestors had 66 chromosomes whereas the domestic horse only has 64 chromosomes?

Reactions: Jessica

Horsa

Reactions
I just read that other than the horses power & ability to carry man the reason why horses were domesticated was because they have a similar intelligence to humankind in that they can remember things, follow a line of reasoning & make decisions based on their own knowledge though they don't have language & at 1st had to be commanded only by touch though later we gave horses a culture of their own above all other animals (even to the point of teaching them to dance though they danced in nature but not to music & not in the way we taught them to) though we've definitely taught certain breeds of dog useful skills. I'll definitely have to cross-reference this because it's very interesting & I hope it's true. Does anyone know off-hand whether this is true?

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
It is believed that horses were domesticated not only for their power but also because in some ways they have a similar intelligence to humans. The ways that horses have a similar intelligence to humans which our ancestors utilised are:-
  1. They remember things
  2. They have the ability to follow a line of reasoning
  3. They have the ability to make decisions based on what they know.
Our ancestors knew that horses didn't have human language skills so communicated with horses through touch though later on it has been found that some horses have been taught some human words & understand what people are saying. Humans taught horses culture. An example of this is when horses were taught to dance to music.

Horsemanship is a skill that has been learnt, taught, wrote about & perfected for millennia. Although Simon of Athens was the 1st person to write about horsemanship, his book was destroyed so the oldest surviving book on horsemanship was Peri hippikes (Good horsemanship) by Xenophon. Xenophon believed that good horsemen were clever horsemen & rode their horse with intellect & respect for the sentient being they were riding. He also believed that all horses had different personalities & you had to choose the correct horse for the purpose you intended it for. You couldn't get a sensitive horse & send it to war for example. A chapter of his book was called Hippikes gymnasia which means horse gymnastics.

Unfortunately, horses aren't just used by humans for riding & transporting people & goods. They're also used for hunting (which I disagree with as it's not only cruel to foxes but to horses & dogs too & many horses & dogs have died in the process), bull-fighting (Which I also disagree with as people & horses get killed as well as bulls for no purpose whatsoever except some people are sick enough to enjoy watching it) & meat (which I think is dreadful & shouldn't be done but people still eat the meat so butcher's still kill them).

Horsa

Reactions
I've just watched a DVD of Appleby horse fair.

Horsa

Reactions
The Cave painting of Lascaux

The lascaux cave painting.jpg

The Cave painting of Niaulx

the niaulx cave painting..jpg

The Uffington white horse

uffington white horse.jpg

Last edited:

Jessica

Reactions
Welcome aboard Jessica. Over the years Horsa has put up some wonderful threads and pictures, and so has me :yesyes:

Thank you, Bob - yeah!

I look forward to reading and seeing the piccies, too.

I have looked through this lovely thread, there are some stunning photos, here.

:D

Horsa

Reactions
Welcome aboard Jessica. Over the years Horsa has put up some wonderful threads and pictures, and so has me :yesyes:
I 2nd your welcome to Jessica.

Thank you very much, Vince. I agree. You've created some very good threads over the years & had some fascinating conversations. :0)

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm glad you found it fascinating. You're welcome.
Hey HORSA,

Greetings from adelaide, where summer is coming to an end.

I better explain Jessica also an aussie and we go back a longs way over on 2-3 Elvis messageboards and i am happy she has decided to join up here. I did say that there's a certain Brit who is extremely knowledgeable on horses and that's something you and she has in common - love of horses. Did you see the AO finals at all ? Both were duds and uncompetetive i thought.

Reactions: Horsa

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Jessica interest in tennis is more from the lawn tennis era (as is mine) where there was a lot more artistry in the sport and aussie stars like Patrick Rafter and Pat Cash but then NOTHING LASTS FOREVER.

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
Hey HORSA,

Greetings from adelaide, where summer is coming to an end.

I better explain Jessica also an aussie and we go back a longs way over on 2-3 Elvis messageboards and i am happy she has decided to join up here. I did say that there's a certain Brit who is extremely knowledgeable on horses and that's something you and she has in common. Did you see the AO finals at all ? Both were duds and uncompetetive i thought.
Hello Vince!

Greetings! I'm very sorry to hear that but we're nearly into Spring.

She seems a nice person. I noticed she appeared to know you. That's very nice of you. Thank you very much. Unfortunately, I haven't had time for a break as I've really been trying to get this equine history report done so I could go onto the next task so I could get onto tasks not requiring me to do research & report-writing because I'm bored with them now though it's fascinating & I had fun to start with. I've been needing to listen to music to work to in order to keep going & make me work quicker & more efficiently. The last couple of days I've really got a spurt on & found it fascinating again instead of constantly running on empty almost.

How are you?

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
Jessica interest in tennis is more from the lawn tennis era (as is mine) where there was a lot more artistry in the sport and aussie stars like Patrick Rafter and Pat Cash but then NOTHING LASTS FOREVER.
I'm more interested in tennis from the 80's & 90's especially Wimbledon.

Reactions: Vince Evert
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ClayDeath Odds and Ends 295