Entertainment from the archives

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
This is for us to share pre-1950's entertainment clips we enjoyed & information about that.

Horsa

Reactions
I will start by talking about entertainment in the 1940's.

In the early to mid-1940's most countries of the world were at war. Some famous singers like Vera Lynn, George Formby & Gracie Fields went to entertain the troops. T.V. wasn't as wide-spread as it is today & most households just had a gramophone. Some had radios. Most normal families would have watched films & news at the cinema. It was a time of scarcity & a lot of families had to make do & mend. A lot of the men were at war so women had to do a lot of jobs men would normally do. People made rugs & quilts out of rags if they couldn't mend clothes. They mended all clothes they could as clothing like food was rationed. Women did a lot of knitting & sewing for something to do. (As there's another thread for music from the archives, I'm going to share some films & cartoons from the 1940's now. I hope you enjoy.)

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
how about this one?

Hollywood Steps Out is a 1941 short Merrie Melodies cartoon by Warner Bros., directed by Tex Avery. The cartoon features caricatures of Hollywood celebrities from the 1930s and early 1940s including Clark Gable, Wallace Beery, Bing Crosby, Greta Garbo and Groucho Marx.

Reactions: Horsa

Horsa

Reactions
how about this one?

Hollywood Steps Out is a 1941 short Merrie Melodies cartoon by Warner Bros., directed by Tex Avery. The cartoon features caricatures of Hollywood celebrities from the 1930s and early 1940s including Clark Gable, Wallace Beery, Bing Crosby, Greta Garbo and Groucho Marx.

That's good. Thank you very much for sharing.

Horsa

Reactions
This is a good 1 if there's anyone who hasn't seen it. The songs good too. The words to the song are "Oh! Mr. Porter. What shall I do? I want to go to Birmingham & they're taking me on to Crewe. Send me back to London as quickly as you can. Oh! Mr. Porter! What a silly girl I am!".

I've just realised all the films from the archives I've shared today have been comedies. I hope you enjoy them & have a good laugh.

Last edited:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Very nice posts here, @Horsa! Thx for the material, if only I had the time....

Horsa

Reactions
Very nice posts here, @Horsa! Thx for the material, if only I had the time....
Thank you very much, Mr.Zz. You're welcome. I hope you enjoy when you get a chance to view.

Horsa

Reactions
I'll go Dickensian now & share 2 of my favourites. I'm still deciding whether I should share another of my favourites yet or whether it's too early. I will share the 1935 version of Scrooge at some point though.

Horsa

Reactions
I watch it every year.
Me too. I also watch the other 2 films which Bing Crosbie sung "White Xmas" in. My favourite of those is "High Society" because I think his duets with Grace Kelly (White Xmas & true love) are brilliant & Louis Armstrong plays a good part at the beginning & end. White Xmas is my favourite Xmas song.