Dungy's Comments on Michael Sam

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Not sure if anyone has been following the circus around Michael Sam, but now they are going after Dungy for his spot on comments.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11248177/tony-dungy-clarifies-comments-michael-sam-st-louis-rams

He said what most people think. Even if Sam turns out to be an average NFL player the media attention surrounding him will be a big enough distraction that it will be an all around negative. Keeping a good locker room is an underrated aspect in the NFL. When players become distractions or just dislike each other it becomes a big problem that affects what goes on come Sunday.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Sam is Teblow .5. He'll get his phive minutes of phame because he's gay, but that's it. He'll eventually get cut and he'll soon be an aphterthought. No one would even give a rats ass iph he wasn't gay. Just my opinion, of course. By the way...I have no problem with Dungy's comments/opinion.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
Sam is Teblow .5. He'll get his phive minutes of phame because he's gay, but that's it. He'll eventually get cut and he'll soon be an aphterthought. No one would even give a rats ass iph he wasn't gay. Just my opinion, of course. By the way...I have no problem with Dungy's comments/opinion.

Not sure I quite agree. Sam could end up being a solid if unremarkable defensive lineman, but his star power will certainly wain as the novelty of him being openly gay ends.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
I. Haychew said:

Not sure I quite agree. Sam could end up being a solid if unremarkable defensive lineman, but his star power will certainly wain as the novelty of him being openly gay ends.

May be. But, I'll pose this question...Iph Sam weren't gay, would anyone care?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
He might not even make the team. I bet there will be some media and other backlash towards the Rams if he doesn't...

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
Riotbeard said:
I. Haychew said:

May be. But, I'll pose this question...Iph Sam weren't gay, would anyone care?

Of course not, while he had a great year in college, he is 7th round pick. What's your point? The fact that he is gay is the point of the attention, but I am sure he would have gotten drafted at the same time. The guy did not have the best camp, but he performed at the important times in games, so that is gonna mean something.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rams cut Sam from their roster.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11431047/michael-sam-cut-st-louis-rams

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Had Michael Sam focused on being a football player instead of an openly gay football player, he would have made the team, IMO.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Well hopefully we won't have to hear as much about it now even if he does end up getting on a roster.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sam passes physical and gets picked up for Cowboys practice squad.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/micha...uad-090314

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Next, that old genius Jerry will probably pay him 200 million over 10 years :)

All jokes aside, good for him. He seems like a decent chap who is very motivated to improve. Also, it's not like he is out there begging for this media attention, at least not that I know of.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:

All jokes aside, good for him. He seems like a decent chap who is very motivated to improve. Also, it's not like he is out there begging for this media attention, at least not that I know of.

From what I hear, he was really good in the preseason games, got a couple of sacks. Rams just had a ton of depth at that position. I don't follow NFL too much, so let me know if that is wrong.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Riotbeard said:
DarthFed said:

From what I hear, he was really good in the preseason games, got a couple of sacks. Rams just had a ton of depth at that position. I don't follow NFL too much, so let me know if that is wrong.

You're right; Sam did very well! He should have been snatched up right away, but teams are still being run by Neanderthals! Jones picked him up for Cowboy practice squad for the press more than anything! He's all about selling the team to the fans instead of WINNING for some reason! Weird! They've made the playoffs once in the last several years and have looked pretty much inept as an organization since Jimmy Johnson was the coach in '93! :nono :puzzled :angel: