Dispelling the usual nonsense about the Galileo affair.....

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The stupidity of our world can be evidenced in myriad ways. One of them is to think of this: the wonderful and informative video I am linking to below has a mere 2,500-some views on YouTube since being posted 25 months ago. On the other hand, in the last two days alone, there are probably 2,500 different sportswriters in America who have written glowingly of the non-event of Jason Collins stepping on an NBA floor as "the first openly gay athlete in any of the 4 major American sports". The stupidity and ignorance of the U.S. media truly never ceases to amaze me, literally each day that I wake up.

But please do enjoy this wonderful 25-minute synopsis. It is even-handed, highly factual, well-reasoned, and informative. Let's watch and discuss!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS-1Q0dl648

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
These videos are good, brother. I watched this and had read bits of it before. The Galileo case is like a lot of things - there's a lot more to it than spin can capture.

Cheers!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
On the other hand, in the last two days alone, there are probably 2,500 different sportswriters in America who have written glowingly of the non-event of Jason Collins stepping on an NBA floor as "the first openly gay athlete in any of the 4 major American sports". The stupidity and ignorance of the U.S. media truly never ceases to amaze me, literally each day that I wake up.

This was not a non-event, which is self-evident by the number of people writing about it, including yourself. All you're doing is displaying your loathing of gay rights.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
calitennis127 said:
On the other hand, in the last two days alone, there are probably 2,500 different sportswriters in America who have written glowingly of the non-event of Jason Collins stepping on an NBA floor as "the first openly gay athlete in any of the 4 major American sports". The stupidity and ignorance of the U.S. media truly never ceases to amaze me, literally each day that I wake up.

This was not a non-event, which is self-evident by the number of people writing about it, including yourself. All you're doing is displaying your loathing of gay rights.

I am responding to the massive stupid reaction. You can hardly count me as someone who considers it significant in any sort of positive or profound sense.

It marks absolutely nothing except a moment in moronic hilarity in American culture that, 100 years from now, will be regarded as utterly trivial, if it is even remembered at all.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
tented said:
calitennis127 said:

I am responding to the massive stupid reaction. You can hardly count me as someone who considers it significant in any sort of positive or profound sense.

It marks absolutely nothing except a moment in moronic hilarity in American culture that, 100 years from now, will be regarded as utterly trivial, if it is even remembered at all.

Yes, you've made it quite clear -- here and elsewhere -- what your opinion is of Jason Collins. That you even felt the need to bring it up in a thread about a completely different topic speaks volumes.

To describe a landmark moment in the history of gay rights as a "massive stupid reaction" and a "moment in moronic hilarity in American culture" tells us more about you, and your saturated level of intolerance than the event itself.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Yes, you've made it quite clear -- here and elsewhere -- what your opinion is of Jason Collins. That you even felt the need to bring it up in a thread about a completely different topic speaks volumes.

Yes, about the amount of noise generated by this silly story. You could not flip the channel to ESPN or any other sports network for about two straight days without hearing non-stop about the wondrous and venerable Jason Collins. Given that amount of noise, it made complete sense to make a reference to it at this point in time. It also makes sense on the heels of the Olympics, when the grotesquely stupid Western media spent more time prating about the lack of gay rights in Russia than discussing the actual Olympic events.

tented said:
To describe a landmark moment in the history of gay rights as a "massive stupid reaction" and a "moment in moronic hilarity in American culture" tells us more about you, and your saturated level of intolerance than the event itself.

Actually, it tells us more about my sanity, if you want to make this about me, than anything else. But you are no less intolerant of my views than I am of yours. And your remarks, in the form of effete whining about "intolerance", are very well-timed in fact, in that they buttress the intelligent critique of so-called "democracy" in the EU and North America provided by Kieran and Britbox, on the "What's going on in the world" thread.

For you to call Jason Collins' first game as an "openly gay" player "a landmark moment in the history of gay rights" is hilarious. :laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing

Thank you for proving my point about the stupidity of our society. We have an "intellectual class" that refuses to acknowledge a genocide of 15 million people, all because the Soviet Union was their great hope for humanity, but Jason Collins is supposedly a significant historical figure. If this doesn't prove the existence of massive stupidity in our world, literally nothing does.

:lolz:

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
These videos are good, brother. I watched this and had read bits of it before. The Galileo case is like a lot of things - there's a lot more to it than spin can capture.

Cheers!

Indeed Kieran. Galileo was a brilliant man, but he was a bit irritable and irascible - like the person you like to call Daveed Calbandian in fact! :cool: That got him into trouble with the authorities.

It also did not help that Galileo couldn't respond to the stellar parallax argument made by other scientists of his time. That probably frustrated him to no end and caused him to lash out at others.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
tented said:

Yes, about the amount of noise generated by this silly story. You could not flip the channel to ESPN or any other sports network for about two straight days without hearing non-stop about the wondrous and venerable Jason Collins. Given that amount of noise, it made complete sense to make a reference to it at this point in time. It also makes sense on the heels of the Olympics, when the grotesquely stupid Western media spent more time prating about the lack of gay rights in Russia than discussing the actual Olympic events.

tented said:

Actually, it tells us more about my sanity, if you want to make this about me, than anything else. But you are no less intolerant of my views than I am of yours. And your remarks, in the form of effete whining about "intolerance", are very well-timed in fact, in that they buttress the intelligent analysis of so-called "democracy" in the EU and North America provided by Kieran and Britbox, on the "What's going on in the world" thread.

For you to call Jason Collins' first game as an "openly gay" player "a landmark moment in the history of gay rights" is hilarious. :laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing

Thank you for proving my point about the stupidity of our society. We have an "intellectual class" that refuses to acknowledge a genocide of 15 million people, all because the Soviet Union was their great hope for humanity, but Jason Collins is supposedly a significant historical figure. If this doesn't prove the existence of massive stupidity in our world, literally nothing does.

:lolz:

And thank you for proving my point that you're a homophobe. Not that we all didn't already know you're the gay rights equivalent of George Wallace, but I guess you feel the need to demonstrate it repeatedly.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
And thank you for proving my point that you're a homophobe. Not that we all didn't already know you're the gay rights equivalent of George Wallace, but I guess you feel the need to demonstrate it repeatedly.

I am not at all a homophobe, because I do not harbor any irrational fear of homosexuals.

I prefer the term homo-despiser, as well as perhaps homophiliac-despiser. The Latin verb "despicio" means "to look down upon", and I genuinely look down upon gays who truly want to get married (a tiny group if ever there was one), gay activist organizations that pine for changes in legislation, and especially the legions of moronic heterosexuals who treat the matter of gay marriage/gay rights sanctimoniously and piously.

So I prefer to be thought of that way, if you don't mind.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
tented said:

I am not at all a homophobe, because I do not harbor any irrational fear of homosexuals.

I prefer the term homo-despiser, as well as perhaps homophiliac-despiser. The Latin verb "despicio" means "to look down upon", and I genuinely look down upon gays who truly want to get married (a tiny group if ever there was one), gay activist organizations that pine for changes in legislation, and especially the legions of moronic heterosexuals who treat the matter of gay marriage/gay rights sanctimoniously and piously.

Actually, I do mind. Homophobe/homophobic are the standard words to describe people like you, so they are what I'll use.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
calitennis127 said:
tented said:

Actually, I do mind. Homophobe/homophobic are the standard words to describe people like you, so they are what I'll use.

Well, go with that if you prefer. It's just a misuse of language, kind of like pairing the words "gay" and "marriage" in a single coherent phrase.

Not that that matters or anything.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
The stupidity of our world can be evidenced in myriad ways. One of them is to think of this: the wonderful and informative video I am linking to below has a mere 2,500-some views on YouTube since being posted 25 months ago. On the other hand, in the last two days alone, there are probably 2,500 different sportswriters in America who have written glowingly of the non-event of Jason Collins stepping on an NBA floor as "the first openly gay athlete in any of the 4 major American sports". The stupidity and ignorance of the U.S. media truly never ceases to amaze me, literally each day that I wake up.

But please do enjoy this wonderful 25-minute synopsis. It is even-handed, highly factual, well-reasoned, and informative. Let's watch and discuss!

Your man says: "I've been trying to explain that modern scholars reject the idea that the Catholic Church was nothing but an opponent of the sciences. Nobody takes that seriously anymore."

Really? Galileo is actually an example of a centuries long opposition to the sciences. And probably Newton. And the whole of the Inquisition.

It's might be worthy of debate, though your video comes from strongly one-side, but I don't really see how you pull Jason Collins into. That's a very different conversation. You are going straw man, here.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
calitennis127 said:

Your man says: "I've been trying to explain that modern scholars reject the idea that the Catholic Church was nothing but an opponent of the sciences. Nobody takes that seriously anymore."

Really? Galileo is actually an example of a centuries long opposition to the sciences. And probably Newton. And the whole of the Inquisition.

The video that I posted is part of a series. The Galileo video was #4. Videos 2 and 3 (and briefly #1) discuss the broader question of the Church and science in the manner you seem interested in.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
tented said:
calitennis127 said:
tented said:

Well, go with that if you prefer. It's just a misuse of language, kind of like pairing the words "gay" and "marriage" in a single coherent phrase.

Trent is right about the conventional words (ugly as they are,) and you have to recognize that language doesn't bend to your will. To say that you are a "homo-despiser," (your word) proves that you are embracing hateful speech, and expresses your ugly feelings about an entire group of people. I'm surprised if you think that would be welcomed. The tide tends towards generosity and inclusiveness. Clearly, you were not interested in a conversation about science and the Catholic Church. You just wanted to demean gays, gay marriage, and those that support it. You should remember that this country, and I know you're from the US, was founded, however imperfectly, initially, on equal justice for all.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
calitennis127 said:
tented said:
calitennis127 said:
tented said:

Trent is right about the conventional words (ugly as they are,) and you have to recognize that language doesn't bend to your will. To say that you are a "homo-despiser," (your word) proves that you are embracing hateful speech, and expresses your ugly feelings about an entire group of people. I'm surprised if you think that would be welcomed. The tide tends towards generosity and inclusiveness. Clearly, you were not interested in a conversation about science and the Catholic Church. You just wanted to demean gays, gay marriage, and those that support it. You should remember that this country, and I know you're from the US, was founded, however imperfectly, initially, on equal justice for all.

"Equal justice for all" is a hollow and meaningless expression. It is amazing that the enlightened founding fathers never even contemplated the absurd monstrosity of "gay marriage", given the ideals they were guided by. It must have just slipped their minds!

My intention in this post was primarily to discuss Galileo. But that doesn't mean tie-ins and connections can't be made. My point - which apparently went right over your head - was that it is sad how we live in a world where there is an ignorant mythology of the Galileo affair that no one seems interested in learning the truth about, while an immense horde of media dunces celebrates something entirely trivial and silly like Jason Collins signing a 10-day contract.

That was the connection.

As for language, I am not bending it at all. I am using it accurately. Calling someone a homophobe suggests that they suffer from "irrational fear". I, on the other hand, have entirely rational objections and I genuinely look down upon the widespread trendy foolishness on this question.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Thanks for posting this video Cali, because before that, I was sure I have heard plenty of stupid things in my life, but this guy Dr Thomas Woods seems like the biggest moron I have ever seen, hands down.... He is dissing Galileo for not being able to "prove" his theories, and yet he has absolutely ZERO proof about every single thing that he believes in. No religious person has the friggin RIGHT to use the word "Proof" The word "proof" used by a believer has to be height of hypocrisy. I am supposed to believe in his stories and accept them in "Faith" but everyone else have to prove their stuff? Get outa here...

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Thanks for posting this video Cali, because before that, I was sure I have heard plenty of stupid things in my life, but this guy Dr Thomas Woods seems like the biggest moron I have ever seen, hands down.... He is dissing Galileo for not being able to "prove" his theories, and yet he has absolutely ZERO proof about every single thing that he believes in. No religious person has the friggin RIGHT to use the word "Proof" The word "proof" used by a believer has to be height of hypocrisy. I am supposed to believe in his stories and accept them in "Faith" but everyone else have to prove their stuff? Get outa here...

Okay, so you concede that Galileo did not adequately make the case for the heliocentric model and that he was unable to refute the legitimate scientific objections being made to it in his day?

Great, I am very happy to hear that.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:

Yeah, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer are such pea brains to believe in religion. I don't know what is wrong with them.

And again, your highly intolerant and hostile rhetoric serves, yet again, as proof that Kieran and Britbox were spot-on in their critique of so-called "democracy". No society genuinely believes in tolerance of everything, because logically that means having no standards or values whatsoever. Thank you for serving as proof of that great lie. Well-done.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm looking forward to..march 29th when "the homo's" can get married in the uk, (or England and wales at least, Scotland won't be until autumn.)

happy days ahh yes happy days.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
I'm looking forward to..march 29th when "the homo's" can get married in the uk, (or England and wales at least, Scotland won't be until autumn.)

happy days ahh yes happy days.

Only in a cynical sense.....