Dimitrov's got his spark back? (and further ruminations)

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So he says.

My first response: Don't tell us, show us. Talk is cheap...I want to see you go out there and kick some a$$!

My second response: After Roger he's probably my favorite player, so I'm hoping he's right. I went into the article more skeptical - thus the first response - but finished it feeling cautiously optimistic. He sounds like he's matured.

Grigor turns 25 in May - so he's no spring chicken anymore, but could be a late-bloomer and have 5+ years ahead of him of peak level. What might we see? Well, the best-case scenario is that he's the best of a group of players that gradually erodes the reign of the Big Four, a transitional phase between the Big Four era and the next generation of elites (presumably born in years 1996-98 or so).

I'm thinking we're going to see something akin to the late 90s to early 00s, with Rafa playing the part of Sampras and Novak playing Agassi. Between 1998 and 2003, a span of six years, 11 different players held the title of #1 at different points. You also had 15 different players winning Slams, with Agassi (5) and Sampras (4) still leading the way, but also Hewitt (2) and Kuerten (2) winning multiples.

When might this era start? Well I would align 1999 with 2015 - that was Agassi's greatest year, and the same with Novak. But in terms of the reign of the Big Four eroding, as a group they're not as dominant as they were in 2012; since the we've seen all except Novak have sub-par years, but they've managed to maintain their reign with relative ease - except for a few Slams over the last three years. I think what we'll see in 2016 is a kind of "swan song" of the Big Four. They may not lose a Slam, but the next group will improve and the compeition will become tighter. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Masters or two won by someone else (possibly Grigor?). The tidal shift will become more evident in 2017 with 2018-2020 or so being an "anything goes" situation until we start seeing a smaller group of young guys taking the lead.

Anyhow, I think Grigor has a chance to be a major player over the next few years, in the 2016 - 2020 period. I think the ship has sailed on him being a true great, but that he still has a chance to win a Slam or two and several Masters trophies and be considered, in hindsight, the best of his 1989-93 generation. Right now he's still behind Nishikori and Raonic, but I think 2016 might be the year that shifts - or at least he surpasses Milos and starts catching up to Kei.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Franco Davin is a coach who knows how to maximize a player's potential (Gaudio, Del Potro). In Dimitrov he has a multi-talented tennis player, who moves well and can hit any kind of shot there is to hit.

The downside? Grigor does not seem to have a killer instinct. As a matter of fact, it seems he enjoys being cougar bait way more than he does the game of tennis. If there is some way to get him to focus on the game and find one tenth of the heart Del Potro has, he should make his way back up the rankings.

Problem is, Davin's been with him since September and the lad keeps turning up with the bimbos. :cover

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2015/11/post-sharapova-dimitrov-may-be-dating-post-pussycat-doll-scherzinger/56845/#.VmBmBuMrKHo

Great Hands

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I do not understand the high hopes for Dimitrov. He is a 'flashy' player, but there are huge problems in his game if he wants to be an elite. His serve is astoundingly inconsistent, his bh is poor by elite standards, his shot selection is baffling, he doesn't seem to know how to implement a specific game plan, or to change it mid-match, he lacks mental intensity on the court, and he has an amazingly consistent tendency to throw in double faults and poor errors on key points in matches. That is a lot to work on. A few flashy shots won't make up for this. I agree that talk is cheap. Grigor has a lot of work to do, and even then he may just not be good enough - i.e. to win slams. I'll believe it when I see it.

The thing is, I think people have unrealistic expectations of him, cause he can hit flashy shots. But I don't think he's as talented as some people do. Part of talent is having an intuitive understanding of what is the right shot to play at the right time. This is as important as technical skill with the racket. I liked this comment below the article, and I agree with it:

'Many think that playing tennis is the ability to hit a tennis ball but they are mistaken. Being able to hit a tennis ball is nice. Knowing when and how to hit the ball in each situation is where the game is played.'

This is where Grigor is very poor in my opinion. And it's quite a hard thing to teach. Especially since the guy is already 24.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, and he'll surprise me. It's just that I've never been fond of these flashy players who get oohs and ahhs for hitting one spectacular shot, even though for every spectacular shot there's at least three poor errors. I like a more consistent game.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
I really like Grisha, but it is extremely hard to be a consistent fan of his, considering what we have seen from him this year. I hope Franco can help him maximize his potential. He is capable of doing much, much more than playing a few good games/sets against the top dogs. First he needs to fix his ranking, then we can start talking about the magnitude of his wins. On the bright side, he isn't made out of glass like DelPo or Nishi.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
I bought his stock two years ago. Looking back it was I had unrealistic expectations.

It is partly his fault, because he was capable of absolute unimaginable flashes of brilliance. And such an aesthetically pleasing game, and athletic ability of the gods.

There in lies the problem. He has relied far too much on his athletic ability.

But there are many, many tactical and technical issues.

His strokes are still too huge. The guys he is chasing can take the ball far earlier, with accuracy.

And because his stroke production is too large....his court positioning is horrendous.

He has to decide if he wants to be a track star or a tennis player.

Let's give him credit. He has sought help. He CLEARLY has done the physical work. But another problem is all that fitness work is wasted sprinting around the court defending.

One last issue is shot selection, but that is the easiest to fix.

I expect he is going to have a major breakthrough by the end of 2017.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Puppet Master said:
On the bright side, he isn't made out of glass like DelPo or Nishi.

wholebrain255x255.jpg

:puzzled
Except for his brain.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I too like his game and thought he will perform better. I am willing to give him a break for a bad 2015. But, if he cannot get himself in top 12 by the end of 2016, it is time to write him off.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Can't imagine he'll be bursting with energy in 2016 now that he's banging Nicole Scherzinger!

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Can't imagine he'll be bursting with energy in 2016 now that he's banging Nicole Scherzinger!

It is not energy he lacked in 2015.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
But there are many, many tactical and technical issues.

There are also mental issues, beside those you just mentioned above.
Too many wholes to fill, in a short time frame. He will get better, I am sure about that, but the question is by how much.

I predict he will get back into the top 16 next year, but not top 10.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
Front242 said:

It is not energy he lacked in 2015.

Yeah but my point is he will most definitely be lacking energy in 2016 if he's still banging her :D