Desert Island Discs

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Mr @Robert Zimmerman- Great idea for a thread.

You're stranded on a Desert Island... what 10 songs would you take with you? and why?

OK, here is the deal, you name your ten and nominate another poster once you've made your picks.

Ideally, if you can find a Youtube link, then post that in too.

Here is my ten (and I am a philistine).

Black Sabbath: Paranoid

Why? Just love the energy in this tune... and like Sabbath.

Oceanic: Insanity

Always liked a bit of high energy dance music and this number takes me back to a good time in life. The band didn't do much apart from this and a B-side called Reality which was more trance-like (but still pretty good).

Inspiral Carpets: She comes in the fall

Maybe a tune I associate with a particularly good time in life more than the tune standing out itself. But, hey... it's in the travel bag. On a Desert Island... Good memories need to be jogged.

Pink Floyd: Another Brick in the Wall Part 2

Lazy Sunday music... Floyd were famous from my neck of the woods for producing "grass music" and I'm talking herbs rather than telling tales to the police. There is going to be plenty of lazy Sundays on a desert Island... almost every day I guess. Sit back and chill.

Alice Cooper: Poison

Another upbeat tune. Always liked Alice Cooper and the man is an Oakland Raiders fan too... Can't go wrong.

The Farm: All Together Now

1990 tune that I used to play when I was leaving somewhere and seeking fresh lands and opportunities. The song is about the trenches of Belgium, wasted lives and World War I.... for me it was about leaving friends and moving onto something else.

Jeff Wayne: The War of the Worlds

The above is just an extract...the whole thing lasts 2 hours. Narrated by the late great Richard Burton. Always loved this.

Genesis: Hold on my heart

Need a couple of slowies in the collection... when you're running out of coconuts and ready to meet your maker.

Jennifer Rush: Power of Love

Powerful female vocals. Was the tune for first dance at my wedding reception... even though it wasn't supposed to be. My missus picked Shania Twain - From this moment... but the dumb f**k DJ left it at home. Still, it was what it was and this tune holds fond memories.

The Jam: Town Called Malice

Swapped Petula Clark, Downtown for this. Quintissential Brit tune by the Modfather Paul Weller and The Jam.

Pretty random picks... anyway i nominate the one and only @Robert Zimmerman to step up to the floor next.

Last edited:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good on you britbox. Good mix of songs you have picked.

So 10 different records by 10 different artists and bands ?
Let me give this some thought and will post 'em here over the next 2-3 days. But for the moment, I am posting Fleetwood Mac - 'Don't Stop' as I love the lyrics more so than the beat (I listen more to the words first than the music secondary).
Besides that. Tell me of another songs title in popular music which has positive lyrics just as inspiring and commercial as 'Don't Stop' ? One could karaoke to this all night long :drums:

Reactions: Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One that might challenge it is Louis Armstrong - "A beautiful world" but agree, it's good.

Desert Island Discs doesn't have to be different artists - you could pick more than one song from the same singer/group.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sounds like you're going up-beat. Good direction for desert island. :)

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

This is an oft. covered Beach Boys tune.
Five left after this.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Been trying to pick just one track by the Boss is really tough, but if I had to, it would be this one. Diehard fans would know that Bruce has been singing 'Point Blank' for at least two years in various tours before he waxed this in 1980.
Is now reissued on 'The Ties that Bind' -

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Recorded 1965 but still as relevant today. One of Bobster's best (and epic) storytelling lyrics.

In particular the following verse-

"You have many contacts Among the lumberjacks To get you facts When someone attacks your imagination But nobody has any respect Anyway they already expect you To just give a check To tax-deductible charity organizations".

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For me number 1 desert island is this , take 3 of 'In the Ghetto' rather than the commercially released master.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Here britbox you are going to like this one. The unfaded master of 'Merry Christmas Baby" which was done unrehearsed and in one take/jam, Elvis even makes up lyrics as it goes along.

While the tiresome "King of Rock n Roll" label that some fans have put on Elvis may be disputed (personally I do not agree with it) , there is absolutely no doubt that Elvis was the greatest White interpreter of Blues songs in the history of Rock music. MCB is (to my ears) his best Blues number -

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For me number 1 desert island is this , take 3 of 'In the Ghetto' rather than the commercially released master.

Very beautiful. And it's shocking how poignant it still is today. You'll be too young to remember, and you're from Oz, I think, but, at that time, and in the US, for a southern man to sing this song was really striking. And since you put it up, I won't have to.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, didn't realize I'd started. I'll come back to you.
OK, I love that song, but I'm not sure it's on my top 10. My desert island list is going to be pretty personal and sentimental, and I'm not going to try to impress anyone. This is difficult, and some great ones have fallen off (Stones, Doors, etc.) but seriously, if I could only listen to these songs for the rest of my life:

(I'll save #1 for the last, and will put videos up after.)

In no particular order, my top 9:

"Ode to Joy" - Beethoven (the Bernstein version when the Berlin wall came down) Classical honorable mention: "Liebestod" - Wagner; and, actually, I'd have all of Beethoven's 9th with me
Beatles - Carry that Weight/Golden Slumbers/The End
Queen and David Bowie - Under Pressure
Elvis - Suspicious Minds
Allmann Brothers - Midnight Rider
Que Tinha de Ser - Elis Regina & Tom Jobim
Jerry Jeff Walker - If feel like Hank Williams Tonight (If you read my list and listen to this song, it'll make sense)
Suite Judy Blue Eyes - CSNY
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme