Citi Open Monday

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Observations…

Monfils and Zverev were having a good intense practice. Lots of hitting, lots of points. One observer was Sekou Bangoura who would later make his ATP main draw singles debut hours later vs Marius Copil. Qualifier Sekou told me Monfils is his guy, his inspiration. Sekou played well but Copil had a bit too much firepower. 6476.

Stefan Kozlov took on Yuki Bhambri in a tematch of their Aus Open quali duel won by the 25 yr old Indian in SS. Koz lost a tight first set 75 but looked fatigued or bothered by the heat. He retired at 02 in the second. I spoke with his agent after Kelly Wolfe who said he struggled with the heat and felt dizziness.

Caspar Ruud also retired down 03 in the third because of the heat to the suddenly surging Tommy Paul.

Bianca Andreescu had no trouble with the high eighty temos beating Camila Giorgi 64 in the third. Giorgi was quicker but Bianca was steadier.

Jared Donaldson blew a 50 first set tiebreak lead and lost the first set 68 but battled back to beat Dudi Sela in three. Montreal qualis next for Dudi who later gave me Harel Levy’s email to discuss his Rome win over Pete Sampras for Facing Sampras. Also spoke today with Juan Carlos Ferrero and Jan Mike Gambill on Facing Sampras.

I gave Dudi a copy of Facing McEnroe.

Question. Why is former no. 1 and two time Roland Garros Juan Carlos Ferrero not in the Hall of Fame?

One of the Bryan Bros was using a Wilson instead of a Prince during early evening practice. Hmmm.

Kyrgios and Sock practiced together again. If any players are having more fun enjoying tour life than these two buddies, please tell me who they are.

Nico Mahut had a Wash Post press request interview after his win. I think we all know what the story will center on.

Kiki Mladenovic came out to watch Thiem play doubles and nicely obliged all selfie requests. Thiems doubles record took yet another L to the Wimby kings Melo and Kubot.

Guido Pellas lefty forehand is about as explosive as any on the tour.

Domu Thiem is top seed in his first ever ATP event.

Isner has pulled out after consecutively winning Newport and Atlanta.

Tennys Sandgren looked really strong in practice today. He is still hunting his first ATP main draw win. Go Soeda will be Ten’s target tomorrow.

Very good crowd here for day one. One woman named Penny came all the way from Melbourne to see her fave Thiem. Next Penny is going to Montreal.

Stay tuned for more coverage tomorrow…

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Darrin writes:

I do consider all of the concepts you've introduced to your post. They're really convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very short for beginners. May you please extend them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.