CINCINNATTI MASTERS AUG. 11th to 18th

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Dimitrov fitness is the issue here plus lacks something intangible...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not expecting a Federer victory and he's not in good form by any means, but on the same note he's hardly chopped liver either. He has a chance. He's a five time champion here, the court is quick and it's a night match. I live in hope not expectation, but it's not mission impossible.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The night match might make it worse for his back BB. He isn't chopped liver as you say but with a bum back and no confidence he is playing like it.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
The night match might make it worse for his back BB.

I thought the same thing during the Kohlschreiber match. I bet he would prefer to play in the afternoon, but they would never schedule a Fedal match during the day.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
They should schedule it for the day, Berd-Murray and Nole-Isner will be better matches most likely. And the stands will likely still be full for Fedal even if it is during the day.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
DarthFed said:

I thought the same thing during the Kohlschreiber match. I bet he would prefer to play in the afternoon, but they would never schedule a Fedal match during the day.

Maybe, but he said he's clear of back problems right now, although how far they are bubbling away under the surface is anybody's guess.

It won't be as hot, so it will likely play a little slower also, but he's generally enjoyed playing under the lights. Although he has had a couple of really bad losses to Nadal at night matches too. Anyway, let's see if it's the rout it's being talked up to be.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I see a few uninformed souls predicting a rout. This is unreliable, far as I can make out. As you say, BB, Roger is no mushy pea. He's got guts and defiance and he knows how to use the fast court to his advantage. If I was a Federer fan, I'd see this as being the perfect match for him to find his range, play at the higher level, against a very familiar opponent...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
tented said:
DarthFed said:

Maybe, but he said he's clear of back problems right now, although how far they are bubbling away under the surface is anybody's guess.

It won't be as hot, so it will likely play a little slower also, but he's generally enjoyed playing under the lights. Although he has had a couple of really bad losses to Nadal at night matches too. Anyway, let's see if it's the rout it's being talked up to be.

Of course he is going to say his back is feeling fine. I didn't see any of the Haas match but it was clearly a big problem against Kohl.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's nice the way you can all discuss his back. That's how it should be. When we Rafa fans discuss his knees, we're told it's an excuse, if he plays, he's fit, etc.

Fact is, the back is sore and it's kind of noticeable on the serve. I haven't seen much of him but he's physically restricted. I hope he doesn't do lasting damage and that he can play at a high level in NY, and maybe take a month or two off after the US Open...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He says his back is fine and he is playing. Unless he really hurts whilst playing and it is noticeable, the back is a non-issue. He plays to win and if he loses, it is not an excuse the back has been bothering him any more than if Rafa loses and we here next week his knees need a rest.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well I can see Rafa has problems planting his left knee going for backhands at times getting down low, especially on grass but the problems are definitely more evident with Fed. Letting balls he'd normally rundown routinely zip past him, slow to run down forehands for quite some time now (and it's not lack of speed as he's still very fast) and serve definitely lacking speed and packing less of a punch. Those are clearly more evident to anyone who has seen Fed fully fit and now. He looks rigid and stiff at times and clearly has issues getting down for volleys and retrieving shots near the ground. He's not going to moan and say ow my back to give the opposition anymore reason to thump him than they already have, but it's clear he's not completely healed up.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have seen speculation on this, but does anyone know for sure when the matches are being played?

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tossip said:

he is talented to be sure but I think he lacks the testicular fortitude to be a huge star in the sport.

agreed about the fitness issue. he can certainly take his fitness higher.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Clay Death said:
tossip said:

he is talented to be sure but I think he lacks the testicular fortitude to be a huge star in the sport.

I disagree...on the fortitude...he WANTS it. I watched him train. He is star material.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Well I can see Rafa has problems planting his left knee going for backhands at times getting down low, especially on grass but the problems are definitely more evident with Fed. Letting balls he'd normally rundown routinely zip past him, slow to run down forehands for quite some time now (and it's not lack of speed as he's still very fast) and serve definitely lacking speed and packing less of a punch. Those are clearly more evident to anyone who has seen Fed fully fit and now. He looks rigid and stiff at times and clearly has issues getting down for volleys and retrieving shots near the ground. He's not going to moan and say ow my back to give the opposition anymore reason to thump him than they already have, but it's clear he's not completely healed up.

Wow, I don't know where you are getting this. The guy won Montreal on a lightening fast court.

I saw him from a few feet a way at Indian Wells. There are no major issues right now.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
I think this is a much bigger match for Roger. If he loses, he has nothing going to NY. I think Rafa will be happy with his prep so far. If Rafa brings the pain, Roger will feel sore, but it'll depend on Rafa's intensity in this match.

Personally, I hope he's keeping something in the tank for NY, so a loss here wouldn't disappoint me. But I have a suspicion he's chasing #1 ranking, in which case we maybe in for a gruelling few days of tennis...

Maybe he will pull a Sampras..go on a horrible losing streak, getting tooled by the likes Matthieu, Gonzo, and Bastl...then winning the Open...then walking away...it would be a cool end.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
It's nice the way you can all discuss his back. That's how it should be. When we Rafa fans discuss his knees, we're told it's an excuse, if he plays, he's fit, etc.

Fact is, the back is sore and it's kind of noticeable on the serve. I haven't seen much of him but he's physically restricted. I hope he doesn't do lasting damage and that he can play at a high level in NY, and maybe take a month or two off after the US Open...

Roger is going to lose tonight because he will be outplayed. If you play there are no excuses and I don't use his back as an excuse. He won the 2 matches here but I feel he is having all kinds of trouble and the back is just part of it.

Different attitude compared to some Rafa fans on here where he wouldn't lose to God if he was healthy

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
Kieran said:
I think this is a much bigger match for Roger. If he loses, he has nothing going to NY. I think Rafa will be happy with his prep so far. If Rafa brings the pain, Roger will feel sore, but it'll depend on Rafa's intensity in this match.

Personally, I hope he's keeping something in the tank for NY, so a loss here wouldn't disappoint me. But I have a suspicion he's chasing #1 ranking, in which case we maybe in for a gruelling few days of tennis...

Maybe he will pull a Sampras..go on a horrible losing streak, getting tooled by the likes Matthieu, Gonzo, and Bastl...then winning the Open...then walking away...it would be a cool end.

That's the hope! It is looking a little similar right now and hopefully it ends similar. If Roger wins another slam I will be shocked if it comes anywhere other than the USO

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Clay Death said:
tossip said:

How does any WTA player become a huge star?