Chair umpire Carlos Ramos will not work US Open matches that have Serena or Venus Williams

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
a real shame, the one who is right is finally wrong (according to the awful Williams' s family...) WTA is so stupid sometimes I can't stand that, what a poor ex for sports

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Well, put him in the Kyrgios matches then (and Carlos Bernardes on the Serena matches)! After all, to be a great umpire you need:

a) To be a native Portuguese language speaker;
b) To have a first name Carlos.

Bring on the bad boys and girls...

Reactions: Moxie and tented

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, put him in the Kyrgios matches then (and Carlos Bernardes on the Serena matches)! After all, to be a great umpire you need:

a) To be a native Portuguese language speaker;
b) To have a first name Carlos.

Bring on the bad boys and girls...

Hey these umps are evil, why else have they been banned from matches with Serena, Venus, and Rafa

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
a real shame, the one who is right is finally wrong (according to the awful Williams' s family...) WTA is so stupid sometimes I can't stand that, what a poor ex for sports

This is bad but the ATP has proven worse. WTA exposed its 2nd biggest star as a drug user. ATP covered up a ban of a barely top 15 player in Cilic. I'm a glass half-full type of guy :D

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
How do we know Ramos was banned from their matches? Could it be he refused to ump them? Why is Venus included when she had nothing to do with last year’s mess?

Reactions: Moxie and tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
How do we know Ramos was banned from their matches? Could it be he refused to ump them?

I was wondering the same thing. The article doesn’t explicitly state who made this decision, and quite frankly, if I were Ramos, I would have been the one to come up with this idea.

Reactions: Moxie

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Hope ATP follows suit. ;)

We all know that ship long sailed. Ralphy, Roger and Novak could threaten to blow up the planet and the ATP would cover it up. Our hope for a big exposal is an external source.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
How do we know Ramos was banned from their matches? Could it be he refused to ump them? Why is Venus included when she had nothing to do with last year’s mess?

1. If it was Ramos's decision don't you think WTA will announce it from the roof top. The fact that they are not saying anything means either it was requested by Serena and/or Venus or may be WTA did it themselves without even a request.

2. Sure, Venus did not have anything to do with last year's mess. But, apparently there is bad blood between Venus and Ramos also from distant past. You can ask @tossip for details or dig it up.

Reactions: tossip

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

You can read this this article .

Apparently, USTA decided to preemptively oust Ramos in order to make sure that the "attention remains on players".

When asked about Ramos in the presser, Serena has the audacity to say that she does not know who Ramos is.

I am sure lots of strings were pulled behind the scenes by the Sisters and the USTA bought into it. :negative:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
When asked about Ramos in the presser, Serena has the audacity to say that she does not know who Ramos is.
I am sure lots of strings were pulled behind the scenes by the Sisters and the USTA bought into it.
:negative:
That's probably her way of moving on from it. Too bad everyone else can't do the same. As to whether the sisters had anything to do with it, you don't know that so you shouldn't assume. It could be entirely the USTA or the WTA. They are not blameless. Remember when Pova first came out about her drug test failure, they (WTA) instructed players not to talk about it.

Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
That's probably her way of moving on from it. Too bad everyone else can't do the same. As to whether the sisters had anything to do with it, you don't know that so you shouldn't assume. It could be entirely the USTA or the WTA. They are not blameless. Remember when Pova first came out about her drug test failure, they (WTA) instructed players not to talk about it.

I agree can't assume. However, remember that Rena made a phone call to WTA chief to drive out a tester who came to her house and won't leave without a sample. Only reason that we came to know that it happened is because the WTA chief was stupid to enough to talk about it over phone in a public place (I think an airport). So, both are possible.

While we don't know which one is the case, we know for sure that whatever was done to Ramos is definitely wrong.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow, after Ralph got an umpire banned, here is another sad news. So, Carlos getting punished for doing the right thing! :facepalm:
You really don't understand the terminology, I think. You and others say that Rafa and Serena got an umpire "banned." This is not the case. Those umpires still work(ed.) They are just given a break from specific players after a controversial match/testy time in the relationship. I don't see how it needs to be seen as corruption or particularly scandalous. These umps and players see each other frequently, and I don't think there's anything wrong with giving a break. It doesn't cost the umpire work, and it gives the player a less stressful place to work until things cool off.