California Chrome for the Triple Crown?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wonder if anyone will be watching the Belmont Stakes tomorrow? Do you think Chromey can do it?

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
We had a party and called in the kids to watch history. I was my daughter's age when Affirmed won the Triple Crown the year after Seattle Slew had done it. Affirmed and Alydar down the stretch was really something--horse racing at its finest. (Poor Alydar--one of the best ever).

As for California Chrome, he fell victim to the three races in seven weeks and the track at Belmont Park; it has happened to 12 others since 1978. Winning this sports jewel is very hard--only 11 in over a hundred years--so I take issue with the owner crying about more rested horses racing in the Belmont Stakes and not in all three. Setting aside many horse folk questioned the wisdom of Espinosa (the jockey) taking Chrome outside in the middle of the race, that is the way it goes. (to be fair, he knows the horse better than anyone and thought he had more "push"--but it never came). If we followed his logic, you would have Triple Crown winners every third year and the Sport of Kings would go into the history books. Another War Admiral, another Citation, another Secretariat, another Affirmed (and Alydar) will come, and when that horse comes, it will be a glorious day.