Brexit

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
giddy up! May defeated... again. What does she do now?

Based on current form, she'll keep running down the clock and hope for one of the following:

a) The EU gives her a time limit on the backstop

b) The ERG and DUP cave in further down the line to meet the Article 50 deadline.

I'm getting a sense the EU already know May's process here. They might even have agreed to it already - in back channels. They've probably already been given assurances behind the scenes that while May is steering the ship, there won't be a no-deal Brexit.

Maybe, they've quietly agreed on a process that includes giving a backstop time limit at the eleventh hour, if May can't get the current package through Parliament. Who knows what happens behind the scenes?! or maybe, they are still playing hardball and hope to foil Brexit completely even at this stage. None of these scenarios would surprise me.

I don't think the ERG will vote for a Brexit where there is no legal unilateral way to leave a customs union.

I think May will keep running that clock down and hoping people cave in... but I don't think they will. Her handling of this entire process from the beginning of the negotiations to now has been atrocious. One thing I'll give her credit for though, is that she is as tough as old boots.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Yes, it was confirmation of what a lot of people were already thinking. She keeps coming back with the plan... having it knocked back... waiting... and then coming back with the same plan. Groundhog day. Her handling of the entire Brexit process has been a fiasco. Nearly all the pro-Brexit ministers she appointed resigned a long time ago. But in the words of Margaret Thatcher... the lady's not for turning.

Reactions: JesuslookslikeBorg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
She’s not tough, she’s obnoxiously stubborn. The history of the EU is replete with bad assumptions of negotiating sides

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't like him for a different reason. If I'd have been a member of the Labour party I'd have left ages back when he became leader & I found out who he really was.

Corbyn is a conviction politician. He believes in those views and won't change them lightly. He deserves a smidgeon of respect for that alone... I respect the likes of Dennis Skinner for the same reason... It is what it is... but that's where the respect ends... and Skinner isn't a marxist at least.

Let's not pussy-foot around what Corbyn's convictions actually are... He's a hard left Marxist. He's totally anti-EU. He's pretty anti-UK if you examine his voting record.

He can't carry out a fraction of his proposed "reforms" under an EU framework... Nationalise the railways? Lol. Nationalise energy? Lol. He'd have massive problems re-nationalising anything within the EU.

He can't undertake any of his radical ideas readily under an EU framework. The *really* hard-left hate the EU. The Marxists hate the EU. The communists hate the EU. He's a Marxist. John McDonnell is a Marxist.

I'm a Brexiteer and fuming with Theresa May... but if I was a remainer, I'd be frothing at the mouth at Jeremy Corbyn's antics as the face of the opposition.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Corbyn is a conviction politician. He believes in those views and won't change them lightly. He deserves a smidgeon of respect for that alone... I respect the likes of Dennis Skinner for the same reason... It is what it is... but that's where the respect ends... and Skinner isn't a marxist at least.

Let's not pussy-foot around what Corbyn's convictions actually are... He's a hard left Marxist. He's totally anti-EU. He's pretty anti-UK if you examine his voting record.

He can't carry out a fraction of his proposed "reforms" under an EU framework... Nationalise the railways? Lol. Nationalise energy? Lol. He'd have massive problems re-nationalising anything within the EU.

He can't undertake any of his radical ideas readily under an EU framework. The *really* hard-left hate the EU. The Marxists hate the EU. The communists hate the EU. He's a Marxist. John McDonnell is a Marxist.

I'm a Brexiteer and fuming with Theresa May... but if I was a remainer, I'd be frothing at the mouth at Jeremy Corbyn's antics as the face of the opposition.
I respect him for the fact that he stands up for what he believes in. I don't like the fact he's an I.R.A. supporter when the I.R.A caused lots of trouble in the 80's not only in Ireland but in mainland Britain too. London was a huge target for I.R.A. bombers. I don't like his Marxist attitude either.

I don't like any of them either & was fuming when I had to choose between them because in an ideal world we'd have better choices but we don't live in an ideal world.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I shudder to think that I voted for this twat. Not once but twice. A modern day "Lord Haw-Haw"

Wow, this man can talk...

Horsa

Reactions
I shudder to think that I voted for this twat. Not once but twice. A modern day "Lord Haw-Haw"

Wow, this man can talk...

He got in when I was in the last year of High School. I remember an ex-maths teacher of mine who became the headmaster praising him in assemblies & thinking he was great because his main priorities (or should I say priority) was education x3.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1997... I was an ardent Labour supporter. He had the world at his feet. Decent first term in office. 2001... voted for him again... Tony then decided he needed to create a "legacy"... he did that all right... half a million deaths of children in Iraq based on bullshit and pandering to that clueless puppet of the neohawks in Washington - George W Bush.

The guy is a snake oil salesman. I wouldn't trust that bastard as far as I could throw him... talks a good game though... I'll give him that. Although, by now, most people are well accustomed to his bullshit and lies. I never felt so let down by a politician.

Horsa

Reactions
1997... I was an ardent Labour supporter. He had the world at his feet. Decent first term in office. 2001... voted for him again... Tony then decided he needed to create a "legacy"... he did that all right... half a million deaths of children in Iraq based on bullshit and pandering to that cluless puppet of the neohawks in Washington - George W Bush.

The guy is a snake oil salesman. I wouldn't trust that bastard as far as I could throw him... talks a good game though... I'll give him that. Although, by now, most people are well accustomed to his bullshit and lies. I never felt so let down by a politician.
I agree. In 1997, I was too busy with rehearsing drama performances, doing homework, revision & tests to realise much about what was going on in the country as a whole. I knew some of the main singers of the day because our school held a party for us all to give us a break when I should have been in drama class & my friends were always singing Spice Girls & All Saints songs & teaching me them. My family were labour supporters. Everyone liked Tony Blair when he 1st came into office & thought a good change had come to the country. I was too busy doing all the over-time possible as well as doing C.L.A.I.T. & W.P. classes & taking driving lessons in 2001 so didn't really have time to watch news or listen to it though I had no choice but to read it as I was working in a convenience store & had customers asking me for opinions on news & had to come up with an instant answer. It's a good job spontaneity is a strong point for me. I remember 9/11 though. On my 1st I.B.T.2 class which was just about to finish the receptionist of the adult education centre came in & told us that 2 planes had just hit the world trade centre. We were all shocked. I agree with you. He spent a lot of our money on helping the Americans cause a war which killed lots of innocent people & didn't bring an end to the problem which he sought to solve.

I agree. He's a smooth-talker who'll say anything to get his way & he sounds pretty convincing. He's 1 of those who'd have you believe black was white if he could. I agree.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
this new party is gonna bust the whole game wide open i think..may keeps doing and saying the same stuff for months. mps have had enough.

she signed off on that eu exit treaty. now when she lost a parl vote on it, she keeps asking the eu to reopen it even though they said it is closed many times..but she keeps not listening to folk and keeps bouncing back to brussels like a retarded labrador.

all the possibilities are back on. new 2nd ref, or/and delayed date for brexit, a no deal and leaving on mar29th over the cliff is now v unlikely.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
this new party is gonna bust the whole game wide open i think..may keeps doing and saying the same stuff for months. mps have had enough.

she signed off on that eu exit treaty. now when she lost a parl vote on it, she keeps asking the eu to reopen it even though they said it is closed many times..but she keeps not listening to folk and keeps bouncing back to brussels like a retarded labrador.

all the possibilities are back on. new 2nd ref, or/and delayed date for brexit, a no deal and leaving on mar29th over the cliff is now v unlikely.

I think that will only happen in the short term if at all... most of them won't survive the next election. They are basically occupying the same space as the LibDems right now... and at least the FibDems have party machinery in place. As it stands they a one-trick "Remain" pony type of party. They might work as a protest party in the short term but definitely not a long term proposition.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Just spotted this on the NYT:

Theresa May to Resign as U.K. Prime Minister: Live Updates
Mrs. May said on Friday that she would step down as leader of the Conservative Party and then as Britain’s prime minister, after repeatedly failing to get her Brexit plan through Parliament.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
@Federberg - How are people taking this news, and what are your thoughts on it?
It's interesting. Where Theresa May is concerned the consensus view is "Good riddance!". But the thought that follows next is... "Please not Boris!"

Personally it's hard for me to imagine a "No deal" not happening now. Who knew I would feel some unhappiness at May going! :oops:

Reactions: tented