Bob Dylan Appreciation Topic

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Time for some early Bobster records back when he was putting together his 'Freewheelin' album.
Love 'Mixed Up Confusion' song don't you. And the Elvis song 'That's Alright Mama' ain't too shabby a version
either.

Freewheelin' Bob Dylan outtakes, (5 songs)​

Corrina Corrina
Lonesome Whistle Blow
That's Alright Mama
Going To New Orleans
Mixed Up Confusion

Reactions: tented

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Time for some early Bobster records back when he was putting together his 'Freewheelin' album.
Love 'Mixed Up Confusion' song don't you. And the Elvis song 'That's Alright Mama' ain't too shabby a version
either.

Freewheelin' Bob Dylan outtakes, (5 songs)​

Corrina Corrina
Lonesome Whistle Blow
That's Alright Mama
Going To New Orleans
Mixed Up Confusion

I love his version of that Elvis song which if I'm not very much mistaken was his 1st ever song which he recorded for his Mother. I daren't say anymore because I could be accused of racism though I'd be telling the truth from what I know & expressing how things were at the time when Elvis recorded that song.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I love his version of that Elvis song which if I'm not very much mistaken was his 1st ever song which he recorded for his Mother. I daren't say anymore because I could be accused of racism though I'd be telling the truth from what I know & expressing how things were at the time when Elvis recorded that song.
I think you'll find Elvis first song was a private record called 'My Happiness'. 'That's Alright Mama' was his first commercial Sun records label. For many years it was often stated that TAM was. But i stand corrected. I have some knowledge on his music (particularly the 50's and 60's records and movies, the latter years was sporadic and of no real interest). Elvis 'My Happiness' record was not recovered until 1990.
LOL is there any diehard Elvis fan on this forum who knows for certain?

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I think you'll find Elvis first song was a private record called 'My Happiness'. 'That's Alright Mama' was his first commercial Sun records label. For many years it was often stated that TAM was. But i stand corrected. I have some knowledge on his music (particularly the 50's and 60's records and movies, the latter years was sporadic and of no real interest). Elvis 'My Happiness' record was not recovered until 1990.
LOL is there any diehard Elvis fan on this forum who knows for certain?
I've heard that song sung by Ann Williamson. It's a beautiful song. I love Ann Williamson. She's my favourite singer. I knew That's alright Mama was his 1st on the Sun records label & it catapulted him into stardom as they wanted to find a white singer with a black sound & that was what they thought they found with Elvis. I know that that isn't really the right thing to say now. I'm not really an Elvis fan. I know a few things about him as Dad was a big fan & had me listening to his music & watching programmes about him & his films. I like some of his songs. I prefer some of them sung by other singers. I like Johnny Cash singing Elvis. I like Willie Nelson's version of Always on my mind. I like Elvis singing Old Shep & In the Ghetto though. I rely heavily on memory most of the time & write most things spontaneously so the later discovery of the other record must have escaped me. Lol.

Oops! I'm very sorry for hijacking your thread with off-topic crap. To bring it back on topic I'll share a song below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This private tape was recorded in the garage of Bob Zimmerman's home (his original surname) by his friend and peer, John Bucklen, who can be heard singing with Bob. The Zimmerman residence was 2425 7th Ave. E., Hibbing, MN., now a pilgrimage destination for some fans. The tape, referred to by enthusiasts as the Bucklen Tape, is the earliest circulating recording of Bob. The only original piece on the tape is "Hey, Little Richard," making that Bob's first recorded original song.

The rest of this video is a recording is a tape of Bucklen recollecting on his high school years when he and Dylan spent much of their time together. This recording was taken from the documentary film Highway 61 Revisited.

fascinnating fly-on-the-wall stuff , this :)

TRANSCRIPT: After "Hey Little Richard":

Zimmerman: This is Little Richard...(fakes wild crowd noises into microphone) ...Little Richard's got a lot of expression.
Bucklen: You think singing is just jumping around and screaming?
Zimmerman: You gotta have some kind of expression.
Bucklen: Johnny Cash has got expression.
Zimmerman: There's no expression. (sings in boring, slow and monotone voice): "I met her at a dance St. Paul Minnesota... I walk the line, because you're mine, because you're mine..."
Bucklen: You're doing it wrong, you're just -
Bucklen: What's the best kind of music?
Zimmerman: Rhythm and Blues.
Bucklen: State your reason in no less that twenty-five minutes.
Zimmerman: Ah, Rhythm and Blues you see is something that you really can't quite explain see. When you hear a song Rhythm and Blues - when you hear it's a good Rhythm and Blues song, chills go up your spine...
Bucklen: Whoa-o-o! Zimmerman: When you hear a song like that. But when you hear a song like Johnny Cash, whadaya wanna do? You wanna leave, you wanna, you - when you hear a song like some good Rhythm and Blues song you wanna cry when you hear one of those songs.

After "Jenny Take A Ride":

Bucklen: Listen, man you gotta to do it a little bit faster than that. I mean I'm trying to cut a fast record here, that's right ... Zimmerman: I can't help it. Bucklen: I know it ain't slow but it's not fast enough too.
Zimmerman: Whadaya talking about, man, that's plenty fast!
Bucklen: No, it isn't. Zimmerman: That'll sell - that'll sell (clicks fingers) just like that - ten million in a week! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllll! (plays first note on piano)
Bucklen: What are you trying to do man, coming in with 'weeelll' like that? I mean....
Zimmerman: Well that's for the new song and I'm starting another one.

After "Blue Moon":

Zimmerman: Yeah, ah, Ricky Nelson. Now Ricky Nelson's another one of these guys. See Ricky Nelson, Ricky Nelson -
Bucklen: Ricky Nelson is out of the question.
Zimmerman: Well he copies Elvis Presley! Yeaah, it's perfectly...
Bucklen: He can't do like Elvis Presley.
Zimmerman: Well he can't sing at all, Ricky Nelson. So we may as well forget him. See I mean - I mean, ya know when you hear music like The Diamonds. For instance The Diamonds are really cool, they're out on the street really popular, really record [?], you know. So they're popular big stars but where, where do they get all the songs? You know they get all their songs, they get all their songs from little groups. They copy all the little groups.
Same thing with Elvis Presley. Elvis Presley, who did he copy? He copied Clyde McPhatter, he copied Little Richard, ...
Bucklen: Wait a minute, wait a minute!
Zimmerman: ...he copied the Drifters
Bucklen: Wait a minute, name, name, name four songs that Elvis Presley's copied from those, from those little groups. Zimmerman: He copied all the Richard songs - Bucklen: Like what? -
Zimmerman: "Rip It Up", "Long Tall Sally", "Ready Teddy", err ... what's the other one?... (ie "Tutti Fruiti")
Bucklen: "Money Honey"?
Zimmerman: No, "Money Honey" he copied from Clyde McPhatter.
He copied "I Was The One " - he copied that from the Coasters. He copied, ahhh, "I Got A Woman" from Ray Charles. Bucklen: Er, listen that song was written for him.

THE END

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Very good idea and attempt. Some diehard fan has compiled a live concert recordings all from separate years and tours(1990's mostly) based on Bob's famous 'Blonde on Blonde' 1966 album, which, to this day, is still one his greatest works.
Only missing song from the album is 'Temporary Like Achilles', which was never sung live by Dylan.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the Gypsy could well have been Elvis Bob is hinting at.