[BLOG] The Case of Kyrgios: How Good Will the Young Australian Be?

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
mrzz said:
Back to the Gasquet Kyrgios match: Gasquet is slowly improving these last two years. He played an excellent match and deserved to win. He is currently simply better than Kyrgios (hence the better ranking).

Better? I don't think so. More consistent? Yes, I agree - hence the better ranking. But I think Kyrgios is a more talented, and thus "better," player.

mrzz said:
Having said that, even if I am with the ones who do not like Kyrgios, he really is different from the rest of the pack, and has a lot of talent. What remains to be seen, in my opinion, is how much of this "uniqueness" is due to the high level of abandon with which he plays. Much of his shine could vanish if he starts to look more "serious". On the other hand, I could rant against him as much as I wanted, but his record against quality players shown above speaks a lot.

I´ll root against him, anyway.

This is an interesting point and question, and one I don't think we'll know the answer to for another year or so. He just entered the top 20, so we need to see if he can take the next step up: the top 10, and then be consistent about it.

GameSetAndMath said:
Come on, Andy did not even win a single clay title till 2014. Only last year he learnt to perform in dirt (even though he might have learnt to play in dirt in Spain). I would not call that "similar" consistency.

From 2011 to the present Andy has only not made a Slam QF or later once, and that was 4R - not counting the one Slam he missed. That is remarkable consistency, more consistent than almost every great of the Open Era before Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic - and even more consistent than Nadal in many ways.

Andy's problem is that while he's been very consistent, he can't dial it up to the same level as the Holy Trinity, at least not very often. But his consistency is remarkable. I do think this has a lot to do with court homogeneity.

Holy Trinity is great! Does that make Murray St. Peter, manning the gates?

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
El Dude said:
Better? I don't think so. More consistent? Yes, I agree - hence the better ranking. But I think Kyrgios is a more talented, and thus "better," player.

Well, we all know that "talent" is a tricky subject, so I was trying to be a little more direct when I used the word "better", even if obviously it will end up as little subjective too. Anyway, if for "better" we read "capacity to win tennis matches", I really think Gasquet, as for today, is better than Kyrgios. His peak (for example, his match against Wawrinka last Wimbledon) for me is still beyond anything that Kyrgios can produce today. His tennis IQ is higher (even if both could described as head cases), and the weapon he has in his backhand is not paralleled even by Kyrgios serve. One of Gasquet's liabilities has been his physical condition, which is getting better, so I even think Gasquet's upside for this year is above Kyrgios´. Of course, time is on Kyrgios side, and he could be wining slams in the next few years. But his not winning them now...

Anyway, I know that this is a matter of taste, or opinion, and I understand your view.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Following Tomic, Kyrgios also pulls out of the Olympics
:
http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/15911223/nick-kyrgios-withdraws-olympics-due-aoc-unfair-treatment

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
herios said:
Following Tomic, Kyrgios also pulls out of the Olympics
:
http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/15911223/nick-kyrgios-withdraws-olympics-due-aoc-unfair-treatment

I can't imagine anyone wanting to go to that toilet at this time or ever! Sewage is still being pumped into the local waters! This is the summer Olympics and these fools are willing to go "in there" to win a stupid medal? :gross: