Best of 5 at Majors - Women and Men

What ideas do you favor? (Vote for as many as you like.)

• Women play best of 5 at Majors

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Women stay best 2 of 3 at Majors

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Women play best of 5 only in the last 2-3 rounds at Majors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Women play best of 5 only in Finals at Majors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Men stay best of 5 for the whole Major

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Men and women play best 2 of 3 in earlier rounds, and only best of 5 at later rounds

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I miss best of 5 for men at other tournaments (Davis Cup, Finals of MS 1000, for example)

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not that big of fan of 'bo5' as a spectator, mostly because we see fewer shot patterns these days. We see fewer volleys, lobs, passing shots, half volleys, fewer spins than in the heyday of 5 setters. Without that all that variety, tennis can become too repetitive for bo5 to remain interesting for 3-4 hours. I see no point in extending the length, if we are not extending the enjoyment of viewers. Remember its not just the players that are hanging around all that time match after mathc, so are the ballboys and girls, each of the linesmen, and the referee. And they will be doing it in inclimate weather, and with climate change, temperatures are getting higher both in the stands and on the courts, we are actually taking increased risks with heat exhaustion and dehydration.
So, just to be clear, (and welcome, BTURNER,) are you against B05 for women AND men? Interesting points about the people it affects, beyond just the players.

Reactions: Fiero425

BTURNER

Club Member
Reactions
So, just to be clear, (and welcome, BTURNER,) are you against B05 for women AND men? Interesting points about the people it affects, beyond just the players.
Same problems regardless of gender. I think we need evidence that 5 setters are considerably more popular and that fans are staying through them, rather than disappearing in set four and 'checking in' periodically. The practicalities of 5 setters with men and women singles in majors, is also going to mean even less time for doubles and mixed on those same courts. These slams also could have senior events, junior events and maybe even wheelchair tennis to accomodate. frankly I'd rather give them some showcasing, than interminable hours of the same names in the same matches and rallies for hours and hours. We could see inclusivity as a virtue, rather than these 'tests of endurance ( and our patience)'

All of this represents an allocation of scarce resources, in court time, staffing, scheduling, media coverage etc. I'd rather CBS/ABC/ sports networks showed some wheelchair, junior or senior events as part of Wimbledon, RG etc.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Moxie General Tennis Discussions 19
MargaretMcAleer General Tennis Discussions 1