Beijing Winter Olympics 2022

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
First of all, thank you for that article. I had not read that before, the detail on the entire debacle was great. I think the worst part for most who are following this situation is the waiting. When will a decision be made on the team event results and will she be allowed to compete in the women's event? The timing of the test results is what I find suspicious, probably three quarters of those following this story feel that way. Why allow her to compete in the first place if they knew she tested positive? The Russians probably could have won with their second best female skater, and will probably win the gold even if this skater is disqualified from the ladies competition. I don't get the logic behind their decision but I am just a spectator. Thanks again for referring me to that report.
There are a lot of questions as to how this all went down this way, but one thing I find terrible is IF the Russian Federation is doping a 15-year-old. I know there is still a lot to come out about this, but she is massively talented, whatever we learn. It is true that she was, while not taking the same medication that Sharapova got done for, it was similar. A heart medication that it's kind of hard to believe that a young, fit athlete needs, but that does have a knock on benefit of enhancing performance. Very curious to see what happens next on this one.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Yes, but there are those that look at technical, for points and review, and, if I'm not wrong, that is separate from the judges. I think that frees up the judges. The technical is what it is, then it allows the judges to assess as to an overall. If that makes sense.
Yes, that’s how it works.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, that’s how it works.
OK, I get it....you're not buying it. Personally, I still enjoy it, and the new system takes a lot of the mystery/bias out of the judging, for me.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Somewhat controversially, Kamila Valieva has been cleared to keep competing in the Olympics, despite the bad drug test around Xmas.

However, in a very feel-good story, Erin Jackson of the US won gold in women's 500m speed skating.

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Somewhat controversially, Kamila Valieva has been cleared to keep competing in the Olympics, despite the bad drug test around Xmas.

However, in a very feel-good story, Erin Jackson of the US won gold in women's 500m speed skating.
I think it is a disgrace personally. I have read there will be no awards ceremony for the team event (at least not scheduled at the moment) and if Valieva wins there will be no medals or flowers. What in the world are they doing? Is there going to be one last ditch to get the decision reversed, have her disqualified, or is this the last we will hear of this. What a shame to have the skating event tainted.

On the other hand, congrats to Erin Jackson for her gold medal in speed skating. Great job by Erin!

Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I think it is a disgrace personally. I have read there will be no awards ceremony for the team event (at least not scheduled at the moment) and if Valieva wins there will be no medals or flowers. What in the world are they doing? Is there going to be one last ditch to get the decision reversed, have her disqualified, or is this the last we will hear of this. What a shame to have the skating event tainted.

On the other hand, congrats to Erin Jackson for her gold medal in speed skating. Great job by Erin!
I agree — it is a disgrace. I read this opinion piece yesterday, which sums things up:

Russian Kamila Valieva must be suspended. If not, the Olympics are forever tainted

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hadn't heard this about no awards ceremony. That's like a double-disgrace. I know they put it off the ceremony to figure out what was going on, but if they are committed to their stance, don't the winners deserve a ceremony?

I saw @tented's above, too, and I agree it's already tainted. If I understand, there's some notion that if she's only 15 she can't be held accountable. Yes...but someone can be, or some federation. I also think she's an amazing skater, and, while quads might be something you can dope, I don't think artistry can, and she has it. It's a shame on so many levels. As to the doping, they asked Johnny Weir and Tara Lapinski, (who are the Jason Goodall and Robbie Koenig of skating commentating, i.e., the dream team, IMO) when they were saying a few days back, just how beyond every other skater Valieva was, and what they know now about a doping scandal, Tara was very adamant that quads can be done w/o doping, and she named a lot of women who had completed them. But I think they were both hard pressed to make something good out of the decision of today.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This video is worth a watch. Brittany Bowe has been a mentor to Erin, who switched from in-line skating to ice quite late. Bowe's choice to give up her slot was, on face, selfless, but also the right thing for the USA team. And Erin came good with the gold. This is definitely a palate cleanser after the skating scandal.

Reactions: Ellentonboy

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Can I just say, the end of the women's figure skating was one of the saddest things I've seen in the Olympics. Basically, no one had a chance to feel happy or triumphant. It was just kind of puny and miserable and clearly a loss for the sport. I hope they can identify and ban those adults who doped that 15-year-old girl.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kamila was shockingly still in hailing distance of getting the bronze medal even after her lackluster LP performance. Figure skating judging needs more tweaking. I would penalize a certain amount of points per the cumulative effect of falls in a long program, if you fall on your ass 2 or 3 times you should not get so many points accumulated simply for the attempt of jumps with a high amount of difficulty which you fail to complete.

Another thing, if a skater has a clean program with a certain level of technical difficulty achieved, they should get bonus points for absolutely not falling on their ass.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kamila was shockingly still in hailing distance of getting the bronze medal even after her lackluster LP performance. Figure skating judging needs more tweaking. I would penalize a certain amount of points per the cumulative effect of falls in a long program, if you fall on your ass 2 or 3 times you should not get so many points accumulated simply for the attempt of jumps with a high amount of difficulty which you fail to complete.

Another thing, if a skater has a clean program with a certain level of technical difficulty achieved, they should get bonus points for absolutely not falling on their ass.

I thought they did get extra credit w/ GOE+ed or subtracted from each jumping pass! What else do you want? Scores are going thru the roof of late!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Can I just say, the end of the women's figure skating was one of the saddest things I've seen in the Olympics. Basically, no one had a chance to feel happy or triumphant. It was just kind of puny and miserable and clearly a loss for the sport. I hope they can identify and ban those adults who doped that 15-year-old girl.
The doping of children is evil and unforgivable,the doctors,coaches who are found to provide performance enhancing drugs to minors should be banned for life,and personally,I also think they should be in prison.

• Sad
Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
The doping of children is evil and unforgivable,the doctors,coaches who are found to provide performance enhancing drugs to minors should be banned for life,and personally,I also think they should be in prison.

It's been going on for decades! IDK why we're making that much of a big deal now when abuse of children was definitely out there; esp. in gymnastics! That's the main reason I can't even watch much of the Olympics due to the rigorous training they put these children thru to get them to excel! :angry-face: :exploding-head::facepalm: :astonished-face: :yawningface::zippermouthface:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It's been going on for decades! IDK why we're making that much of a big deal now when abuse of children was definitely out there; esp. in gymnastics! That's the main reason I can't even watch much of the Olympics due to the rigorous training they put these children thru to get them to excel! :angry-face: :exploding-head::facepalm: :astonished-face: :yawningface::zippermouthface:
I understand it has been going on for decades still it has to be stopped,we just all witnessed a prime example why it should be stopped.These young woman will be scarred for life,for glory of a piece of metal.,not for themselves it is glory for their country.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
So, does anyone know, when a decision will be made regarding the team event results. I have seen via an interview with Madison Hubbell that they have the boxes for their medals, they just don't know what color they will be. Anyone know when a decision might be made???

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Moxie Other Sports 4
Correspondent Kiu Other Sports 9