Beijing Winter Olympics 2022

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Anyone watching? I know @Fiero425 likes the figure skating, as do I. Kamila Valieva just dropped 2 x quad jumps, for Olympics history. 15 years old, and she looks untouchable.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I love the Olympics! I’ve been watching some already:

- Speed skating — maybe the most exciting sport. Anything can happen. An entire race can blow up in an instant. There’s a constant tension, with an air of excitement mixed with danger.
- Curling — yes, curling. I began watching it a few Games ago, and discovered it’s quite interesting with a lot more skill required than one might presume, given people are shoving a rock down a lane of ice with a broom.
- Skiing — I love downhill, super G, and giant slalom, which haven’t taken place yet, so thus far I have watched a bit of the moguls.
- Luge — another dangerously fast, therefore exhilarating winter sport.

Still to come:

- Hockey — it’s more sophisticated than watching NHL hockey, because there isn’t the silly fighting
- Aerials — the winter sport gymnasts get into if gymnastics doesn’t work out
- Bobsled & skeleton — similar to luge’s description above

I used to get into figure skating, but lost interest after it was overhauled in the wake of the 2006 judging scandal in Turin. The new rules have drained it of any artistic component, and turned it into “skating by numbers” as Sasha Cohen put it.

Reactions: Kieran and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To me, it's too much to say that all of the artistry is gone from figure skating. I do appreciate that the judging feels so much more fair.

I've been watching the snowboarding and giant slalom. Bad accident last night to Nina O'Brien in GS. You're cracking me up with the Curling, but I'll take your for it. :)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched Aussie 23 year old Jakara Anthony win Gold in Women's Moguls,it was the first Gold Medal in Australia since 2010.
Jakara lead the field from start to finish.She was Amazing!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
You're cracking me up with the Curling, but I'll take your for it. :)

Give it a try. Look for times when Italy, Great Britain, Sweden, Norway, or the US (the defending gold medalists, believe it or not) are playing.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Give it a try. Look for times when Italy, Great Britain, Sweden, Norway, or the US (the defending gold medalists, believe it or not) are playing.
Oh, I've watched it before, and I'm mostly just teasing you, because curling gets so much ribbing. Honestly, when the stakes are high, and the Olympics are high-stakes, I can enjoy most any sport. Thanks for the tip on who to watch. Surprised Canada isn't on your list...I thought they invented it, or something?

Reactions: tented

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Olympic brings my all time favorite balls to the wall, caution be damned crazy event... The Mens and Womens Downhill !

It's SICK in a good way.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
The Olympic brings my all time favorite balls to the wall, caution be damned crazy event... The Mens and Womens Downhill !

It's SICK in a good way.
I watched Feuz win the gold. I was so glad he won. I’ve been a fan for several years.
08CB1550-FB19-40FA-9764-93AB877E9E9A.jpeg

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Oh, I've watched it before, and I'm mostly just teasing you, because curling gets so much ribbing. Honestly, when the stakes are high, and the Olympics are high-stakes, I can enjoy most any sport. Thanks for the tip on who to watch. Surprised Canada isn't on your list...I thought they invented it, or something?
Italy won gold in mixed doubles curling. They went undefeated from the round robin games, all the way to the final.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is from 2018, but I was thinking about it earlier, and had to share it.

Thanks for sharing that. It literally gave me goosebumps! Thrilling.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Thanks for sharing that. It literally gave me goosebumps! Thrilling.
You’re welcome! I still gives me goosebumps, too. I remember watching it live, and becoming completely enthralled by his enthusiasm.

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
To me, it's too much to say that all of the artistry is gone from figure skating. I do appreciate that the judging feels so much more fair.

Have you been watching? They are literally putting up numbers in the left corner of the screen, adding points as someone skates, thus having given up any pretense of figure skating being anything other than skating-by-numbers.

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Nathan Chen crushed the field for the Olympic Gold Medal in Figure Skating! "Congrats Nathen!" :clap: :dance2::dance3::thumbs-up:
I see you are a skating fan so I thought I would address my question to you. Do you think Russia will be able to hold on to the Olympic Gold Team Member and do you feel that the female singles skater in question will be allowed to compete in the ladies competition. I did research on the banned medication that showed up in her test result, and found it can be used to add towards an individual's endurance. Two previous Olympians were either disqualified or faced bans after that same substance was found. What I find surprising is the skater could have asked for a medical exemption in advance of the competition and we wouldn't be having this issue. So how long do you think it will take the IOC and the ISU to come to an agreement on a decision? Chen was great last night in crushing the field, but this story is really developing into the controversy of these games. What is your take on all of this?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I see you are a skating fan so I thought I would address my question to you. Do you think Russia will be able to hold on to the Olympic Gold Team Member and do you feel that the female singles skater in question will be allowed to compete in the ladies' competition? I did research on the banned medication that showed up in her test result, and found it can be used to add towards an individual's endurance. Two previous Olympians were either disqualified or faced bans after that same substance was found. What I find surprising is the skater could have asked for a medical exemption in advance of the competition and we wouldn't be having this issue. So how long do you think it will take the IOC and the ISU to come to an agreement on a decision? Chen was great last night in crushing the field, but this story is really developing into the controversy of these games. What is your take on all of this?

I personally never cared for these strict rules on medication! They may have no choice after others have been DQ'd for the most minor of offenses! The only time they seemed to make the right decision to me was when a snowboarder was busted for marijuana! Obviously, it wasn't enhancement, so they let it slide! I haven't been a fan of the Olympics since they made tennis an exhibition sport in '84! I don't like the pros taking over The Games and it's ridiculous to keep allowing more and more events to be created! I'm surprised there isn't an eating contest yet! Figure skating's the last sport I watch now! The Summer Games aren't even flipped or surfed by much! :facepalm: :face-vomiting::rip:
- - https://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/10/fan-page-evgeni-plushenko.html - - :facepalm: :yawningface::astonished-face:

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
First of all, thank you for that article. I had not read that before, the detail on the entire debacle was great. I think the worst part for most who are following this situation is the waiting. When will a decision be made on the team event results and will she be allowed to compete in the women's event? The timing of the test results is what I find suspicious, probably three quarters of those following this story feel that way. Why allow her to compete in the first place if they knew she tested positive? The Russians probably could have won with their second best female skater, and will probably win the gold even if this skater is disqualified from the ladies competition. I don't get the logic behind their decision but I am just a spectator. Thanks again for referring me to that report.

Reactions: Fiero425 and tented

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
First of all, thank you for that article. I had not read that before, the detail on the entire debacle was great. I think the worst part for most who are following this situation is the waiting. When will a decision be made on the team event results and will she be allowed to compete in the women's event? The timing of the test results is what I find suspicious, probably three quarters of those following this story feel that way. Why allow her to compete in the first place if they knew she tested positive? The Russians probably could have won with their second-best female skater and will probably win the gold even if this skater is disqualified from the ladies' competition. I don't get the logic behind their decision, but I am just a spectator. Thanks again for referring me to that report.

Well at least she got out there on the ice! Novak wasn't allowed to play one match when someone in authority told him he could compete! :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Have you been watching? They are literally putting up numbers in the left corner of the screen, adding points as someone skates, thus having given up any pretense of figure skating being anything other than skating-by-numbers.
Yes, but there are those that look at technical, for points and review, and, if I'm not wrong, that is separate from the judges. I think that frees up the judges. The technical is what it is, then it allows the judges to assess as to an overall. If that makes sense.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Moxie Other Sports 4
Correspondent Kiu Other Sports 9