Assessing Medvedev's game: what are his best shots?

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My favorite shot of his is the crosscourt backhand, which he flattens out very well. He can do a lot of damage with that shot.

I also think his serve has a lot of pop to it and he hits the backhand up the line with great depth on a routine basis. He will have to start playing closer to the baseline though. Not doing that is part of what cost him the US Open. He is giving up too much ground by standing so far back. He doesn't even need to be that much more offensive - he can still be a counter-puncher. But to be that far back all the time really puts him behind the 8-ball.

For pure entertainment purposes, the windmill inside-out forehand is a great shot to see as well.

Reactions: Bonaca

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Agreed on the above. He hits some unreal passing shots too. Some great ones versus Tsitsipas here. I just hope he adjusts his game plan and doesn't play so far behind the baseline against the big 3 in future. Hits his shots with a lot of depth too with a large proportion of them landing just inside the baseline which makes things tough for his opponents.

With his very good serve and great movement considering his height, he should look to come forward a lot more to finish points off and throw in a few s&v points. He also hits very nice drop shots. Definitely appears to have the best movement of all the tall players on tour right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
the good thing about Medvedev is he does not act like little girl like Federer then he hit that ball into the crowd it could have hit someone in the eye making them blind] how gross is that should have been fined for sure anyway back to Medvedev he baseline game is like your playing against wall, awesome serve both forehand+backhand are really good he's just a compete player.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
the good thing about Medvedev is he does not act like little girl like Federer then he hit that ball into the crowd it could have hit someone in the eye making them blind] how gross is that should have been fined for sure anyway back to Medvedev he baseline game is like your playing against wall, awesome serve both forehand+backhand are really good he's just a compete player.

Stop spamming stupid stuff relating to Federer in every damn thread 'cos you're ruining this forum. Federer hit that ball so softly it wouldn't have hurt a fly. Now quit posting stuff not related to the thread.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Stop spamming stupid stuff relating to Federer in every damn thread 'cos you're ruining this forum. Federer hit that ball so softly it wouldn't have hurt a fly. Now quit posting stuff not related to the thread.
how I was talking about Medvedev game? anyway I do agree with this topic Medvedev for me its he's serve which he hits then down break points is awesome that would be my favorite.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My favorite shot of his is the crosscourt backhand, which he flattens out very well. He can do a lot of damage with that shot.

I also think his serve has a lot of pop to it and he hits the backhand up the line with great depth on a routine basis. He will have to start playing closer to the baseline though. Not doing that is part of what cost him the US Open. He is giving up too much ground by standing so far back. He doesn't even need to be that much more offensive - he can still be a counter-puncher. But to be that far back all the time really puts him behind the 8-ball.

For pure entertainment purposes, the windmill inside-out forehand is a great shot to see as well.

Again you somehow manage to rant about the USO... :facepalm: Nadal hits very deep and with HUGE topspin, and that's what pushed Medvedev back behind the baseline for the most part, you genius. :cuckoo: Otherwise Medvedev is a complete player and for a tall guy he moves incredible well, he will win many slams as I don't see any weaknesses. He will be the next no.1 after Nadal.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Again you somehow manage to rant about the USO... :facepalm: Nadal hits very deep and with HUGE topspin, and that's what pushed Medvedev back behind the baseline for the most part, you genius. :cuckoo: Otherwise Medvedev is a complete player and for a tall guy he moves incredible well, he will win many slams as I don't see any weaknesses. He will be the next no.1 after Nadal.

Amazing observation and completely 100% wrong. Medvedev prefers to stay miles behind the baseline against everyone. It's how he plays his game and not to do with Nadal pushing him back since he's already miles behind the baseline on return of serve before the ball is even in play. He needs to stand in more against guys like the big 3 though or he'll get punished. Stick to the day job and don't take up tennis analysis anytime soon. You got one thing right at least, he'll win many slams.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Amazing observation and completely 100% wrong. Medvedev prefers to stay miles behind the baseline against everyone. It's how he plays his game and not to do with Nadal pushing him back since he's already miles behind the baseline on return of serve before the ball is even in play. He needs to stand in more against guys like the big 3 though or he'll get punished. Stick to the day job and don't take up tennis analysis anytime soon. You got one thing right at least, he'll win many slams.

He already beat Djokovic the last 2 times. He hasn't played Federer since his resurgence this summer and I'm sure he'll beat him too. Medvedev is doing great and doesn't need your advice on how to approach opponents. :rolleyes: Tons of players try to stand in against Nadal and get destroyed anyways so stop underestimating Nadal. Maybe once Nadal reaches 30 slams you will finally admit that he's a stunning player. :rolleyes:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
He already beat Djokovic the last 2 times. He hasn't played Federer since his resurgence this summer and I'm sure he'll beat him too. Medvedev is doing great and doesn't need your advice on how to approach opponents. :rolleyes: Tons of players try to stand in against Nadal and get destroyed anyways so stop underestimating Nadal. Maybe once Nadal reaches 30 slams you will finally admit that he's a stunning player. :rolleyes:

That's a deal lol. Good luck with that btw.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's a deal lol. Good luck with that btw.

It was just to make a point. :rolleyes: The man has won 19 slams and yet some of you guys act as if he’s some average player who should lose every match against all kind of opponents. :cuckoo:

And by the way Nadal would have reached 30 slams if he wasn’t unlucky with tons of injuries throughout the years, but despite that he will still make 24 slams. Have a nice day.:bye:

Reactions: Andy22

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
It was just to make a point. :rolleyes: The man has won 19 slams and yet some of you guys act as if he’s some average player who should lose every match against all kind of opponents. :cuckoo:

And by the way Nadal would have reached 30 slams if he wasn’t unlucky with tons of injuries throughout the years, but despite that he will still make 24 slams. Have a nice day.:bye:

Of course he'd have reached 30 slams lol. 'cos he wins everything he plays. Crazy world you live in.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I swear Front is single handedly ruining every fucking thread by engaging in a back and forth with the Nadal trolls. For fuck's sake stop because it's legit killing off any potential conversation. The forums have been god awful lately.

Reactions: El Dude and Bonaca

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ás far as Medvedev goes, I still think his forehand needs improvement. It can do damage but it looks pretty awkward at times and it's clear he's much more comfortable off his backhand wing. I actually think his volleys and overall touch are very underrated.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I swear Front is single handedly ruining every fucking thread by engaging in a back and forth with the Nadal trolls. For fuck's sake stop because it's legit killing off any potential conversation. The forums have been god awful lately.

I'm trying to shut those 2 stupid cunts up ffs. Did you see my post saying that nadalgoat2 is ruining every thread? It's those 2 Nadal nick idiots ruining the forum. He posted about Federer in assessing Medvedev's best shots ffs. He ruined this thread from post #3 and the moderators aren't doing anything about it even though it's been pointed out these 2 have destroyed the forum and also scared away good posters.

I posted videos of great shots by Medvedev and look at post #3 by that fucking attention seeking tool. First line of his post is about Federer.

Last edited:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Dude it's very obvious he won't shut up. Just fucking ignore him. It's really hard scrolling through the crap to find the semi relevant stuff now.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Dude it's very obvious he won't shut up. Just fucking ignore him. It's really hard scrolling through the crap to find the semi relevant stuff now.

The moderators need to shut them up and the forum would be just fine.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Put them on your ignore list.

For fuck's sake, yes.

It got to a point where any time I see Front's avatar I'm skipping through the post because it's 90% a response to the two trolls.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
El Dude Pro Tennis (Mens) 3