AO Women's Final: Serena Williams (2) v Venus Williams (13)

Who wins the Australian Open?

• Serena in 2

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Serena in 3

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Venus in 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Venus in 3

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Australian Open Women's Final

serena-williams.jpg
v
venus-williams.jpg

Serena Williams (2) v Venus Williams (13)

H2H: Serena leads 16-11

2015 US Open QF Hard Serena Williams Venus Williams 6-2 1-6 6-3
2015 Wimbledon R16 Grass Serena Williams Venus Williams 6-4 6-3
2014 Canadian Masters SF Hard Venus Williams Serena Williams 6-7(2) 6-2 6-3
2013 Charleston SF Clay Serena Williams Venus Williams 6-1 6-2
2009 WTA Championships F Hard Serena Williams Venus Williams 6-2 7-6(4)
2009 WTA Championships 11 Hard Venus Williams Serena Williams 5-7 6-4 7-64)
2009 Wimbledon F Grass Serena Williams Venus Williams 7-6(3) 6-2
2009 Miami Masters SF Hard Serena Williams Venus Williams 6-4 3-6 6-3
2009 Dubai SF Hard Venus Williams Serena Williams 6-1 2-6 7-6(3)
2008 WTA Championships 11 Hard Serena Williams Venus Williams 5-7 6-1 6-0
2008 US Open QF Hard Serena Williams Venus Williams 7-6(6) 7-6(7)
2008 Wimbledon F Grass Venus Williams Serena Williams 7-5 6-4
2008 Bangalore SF Hard Serena Williams Venus Williams 6-3 3-6 7-6(4)
2005 US Open R16 Hard Venus Williams Serena Williams 7-6(5) 6-2
2005 Miami Masters QF Hard Venus Williams Serena Williams 6-1 7-6(8)
2003 Wimbledon F Grass Serena Williams Venus Williams 4-6 6-4 6-2
2003 Australian Open F Hard Serena Williams Venus Williams 7-6(4) 3-6 6-4
2002 US Open F Hard Serena Williams Venus Williams 6-4 6-3
2002 Wimbledon F Grass Serena Williams Venus Williams 7-6(4) 6-3
2002 FO - RG F Clay Serena Williams Venus Williams 7-5 6-3
2002 Miami Masters SF Hard Serena Williams Venus Williams 6-2 6-2
2001 US Open F Hard Venus Williams Serena Williams 6-2 6-4
2001 Indian Wells Masters SF Hard Serena Williams Venus Williams WO
2000 Wimbledon SF Grass Venus Williams Serena Williams 6-2 7-6
1999 Grand Slam Cup F Hard Serena Williams Venus Williams 6-1 3-6 6-3
1999 Miami Masters F Hard Venus Williams Serena Williams 6-1 4-6 6-4
1998 Rome Masters QF Clay Venus Williams Serena Williams 6-4 6-2
1998 Australian Open R64 Hard Venus Williams Serena Williams 7-6(4) 6-1
---

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'll be cheering on Venus to win the final but won't be watching it. They usually play crappy matches versus one another.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hey, is my girl Angelique going to loose her number one spot on the WTA computer?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Angelique better get her mojo back and improve her serve. Hope also to see Kvitova back soon on the circuit. When is Maria Sharapova coming off her ban ? That was harsh decision i thought.

Reactions: teddytennisfan

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Angelique better get her mojo back and improve her serve. Hope also to see Kvitova back soon on the circuit. When is Maria Sharapova coming off her ban ? That was harsh decision i thought.

I think the pressure got to Angelique a bit... World Number One and Defending Champion... that's one big target on your back. She looked jittery in the matches she won before getting knocked out.

No idea when Petra returns... pretty nasty injuries. Sharapova returns at Stuttgart in April.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's in a way a pity that AO has ended with an all Williams final. Why - becuase sisterhood will end with a Serena victory so she can be: #1 and get GS #23. All in all we've seen potential in the WTA /Grand slamtournament but most players are inconsistent and have an outburst in one or two matches and most times it's when they meet a higher ranked player and wins . Next match they play something else. Coco Puff and Jo Konta are examples of players with a longer stamina that in the end collapse anyway. A risk of a boring final awaits and I think I'll skip it and maybe see a highlight - if anything.

teddytennisfan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

not JUST a ''harsh'' decision -- a decision that -- as i predicted and warned everyone about last year -- january -- that it was the TIP of a POLITICAL SMEAR campaign against russia -- NOW EXPOSED in its full glorious hideousness as part of everything else:

sanctions, MSM exposed as LIARS , the fake accusations on ''russia hacking DNC"..The FAKERY about syria and ''moderate rebels" -- etc. etc. etc.

and of course the olympics -- and finally WADA drowning in ITS own petard as the MOTHER of all doping agencies behind the FAKE justifications of ''correct schedule application" for ''Medical Therapeutic Exemptions"

OTHEWISE KNOWN AS DOPING.

did'nt i tell ALL of you here ? when you all insisted "'masha went against the RULES!!!!! :?"

and look at who were REALLY exposedas the BIGGEST STATE ENTERPRISE DOPERS of them all -- hiding BEHIND WADA...the western countries, lol!!

SO ANY which way anyone tries to slice and dice about ''rules" -- it's the RULES MAKERS of the USA, UK, CANADA in particular that are the CORRUPT CENTERS OF GLOBAL ATHLETIC DOPING WHICH THEY PROCLAIM as ''clean sports".

and should really SHUT THE FUCK UP from now on . because they- like MACLAREN -- just display themselves as not JUST hypocrites -- but outright CRIMINAL enteprises themselves pretending to be 'WORLD DOPING REGULATION BODIES".

it's like a bank pretending to be so upstanding and turns out to be a huge money-laundering operation -- like a LOT of the ''too big to fail" institutions - just because THEY get to write the 'rules" ..when in fact they are essentially private CRIMINAL enteprises pretending to be LEGITIMATE businesses.

lol.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's in a way a pity that AO has ended with an all Williams final. Why - becuase sisterhood will end with a Serena victory so she can be: #1 and get GS #23. All in all we've seen potential in the WTA /Grand slamtournament but most players are inconsistent and have an outburst in one or two matches and most times it's when they meet a higher ranked player and wins . Next match they play something else. Coco Puff and Jo Konta are examples of players with a longer stamina that in the end collapse anyway. A risk of a boring final awaits and I think I'll skip it and maybe see a highlight - if anything.

Pliskova was the let down for me. I was hoping for a rematch with Serena, at least to keep it interesting. Marjana didn't have a realistic hope in hell of pushing Serena.

Konta was just outgunned... Coco had a genuine chance against Vee and I picked her to win.

As for the final, I know it seems like a foregone conclusion but I'm not so sure it is. Of course, Serena is a heavy favourite but I think Venus will come to ball, she'll give it everything she's got. I give her a chance, albeit slim.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pliskova was the let down for me. I was hoping for a rematch with Serena, at least to keep it interesting. Marjana didn't have a realistic hope in hell of pushing Serena.

Konta was just outgunned... Coco had a genuine chance against Vee and I picked her to win.

As for the final, I know it seems like a foregone conclusion but I'm not so sure it is. Of course, Serena is a heavy favourite but I think Venus will come to ball, she'll give it everything she's got. I give her a chance, albeit slim.
Agreed with all of the above, and I disagree with @Hoergren that a Williams' sisters final guarantees a Serena win. They've played more competitively against each other the last few years, whereas they used to find it hard to summon their most killer instincts. However, if there is anyone who could dampen Serena's fire-in-the-belly it's Vee. I don't think she'll give over to big sis, but if it messes with her head and throws her off, and Venus has a superb day, that would be Vee's small window. My hope is that Venus is healthy for the match.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
When is the final? I thought it was supposed to be today. I can't find it anywhere. The only thing I see is Rafa/Dmitrov coming on at 3:30 a.m.

Oh, going for Serena all the way. Hoping she gets #23!

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When is the final? I thought it was supposed to be today. I can't find it anywhere. The only thing I see is Rafa/Dmitrov coming on at 3:30 a.m.

Oh, going for Serena all the way. Hoping she gets #23!
Womens final is on Saturday Night local time.

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
Womens final is on Saturday Night local time.

Thanks, it took me quite a bit of time to find that, then I realized the Women's Final is usually on Saturday, which is Friday for me. Going to be sad for whoever loses these last matches. A lot on the line for each combatant.

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agreed with all of the above, and I disagree with @Hoergren that a Williams' sisters final guarantees a Serena win. They've played more competitively against each other the last few years, whereas they used to find it hard to summon their most killer instincts.
I think you missed my point. What is on sale in this final? The #1 position and #23 slam - Serena wins no doubt about that - but they probably pút on a show to please the audience. And I am not watching such game. And yes I'm maybe tired of the Williams and so be it.

Reactions: Mary

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
By the way if you want a free streaming site - use this "backdor" to 1XBET - and there are only adds from the betting site. It's in Russian. It may take 10-20 seconds to load then a box with an OK appear in the middle of the screen. Just press the ok and all the sport you're able to watch appears in the right side of the screen. Scroll up and down to see. ONLY LIVE matches are present. Press a title of a match and press the play symbol in the middle of the screen:
http://videostream.dn.ua/videopage/...c=en&i=eWl6aXFnc2hxZQ%B9f%B9f&hc_location=ufi

Reactions: Mary and britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think you missed my point. What is on sale in this final? The #1 position and #23 slam - Serena wins no doubt about that - but they probably pút on a show to please the audience. And I am not watching such game. And yes I'm maybe tired of the Williams and so be it.
I completely understood your point and chose to ignore it. Accusing them of collusion is ugly, and I don't believe it for one second.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Hana Mandikova will present the winning trophy at the AO Womens's final.