Analyzing Nick's Masterpiece Nadal Beatdown

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
mcbt-HZx_400x400.jpg

By Scoop Malinowski

Nick Kyrgios showed the world once again the sort of tennis genius we adore him for, despite all the tanks and unprofessional play.

Kyrgios dominated the best player in the world last night with a shock and awe 62 75 dismissal of Nadal, who tried his very best but was out of his league against the A-plus game of the erratic but spectacular Australian. Nadal came out guns blazing and grunting from the very first ball but he was quickly broken by Kurgios in the opening game.

Kyrgios had a quiet confidence and twinkle in his eye before the match as he told ESPN’s Pam Shriver, “I know what he’s gonna bring and I’m ready for it.” But before the match started, Darren Cahill did not respect Kyrgios’ chances and said bluntly that Nadal is “the heavy favorite.”

Kyrgios has shown that he especially loves playing the top titans of tennis. When Kyrgios plays Federer, Djokovic and Nadal he has a different intensity level compared to when he plays regular randon ATP players. In boxing there is an old maxim that sums it up: “Great champions have trouble getting up for mediocre fights.”

Kyrgios was flying all over the court last night, unleashing aces and winners off both wings all over the court. It was near unbelievable to see Nadal look like a guy ranked about 45 in the world. He looked helpless at times, chasing and netting shots because Nick’s shots were simply on a different warp speed.

It got so bad that Kyrgios then opted to employ some Muhammad Ali showboating, or taunting. With the two break lead, Kyrgios tried a silly tweener shot that he didn’t have to, which Nadal ate up and slashed for a forehand winner. But it was like Muhammad Ali taunting his opponent by doing his famous Ali foot shuffle. Or Sugar Ray Leonard throwing the insulting bolo punches or windmill right fake followed by a surprise mock jab.

The failed tweener didn’t deter Kyrgios at all. Next he tried a Federer saber shot on a return of serve. Again it didn’t work but Nick was sending a very clear message. “I am toying with the best player in the world.”

Nadal had to be burning up inside but he contained his frustrations. Nadal lost the first set 26 but of course mustered up his intensity for the second set. No way was he gonna let this cocky whippersnapper insult him in this manner.

Nadal raised his level and had a break point early but failed to convert. Nick raised his level too. When Kyrgios is playing fully inspired, trying to prove something, he is nearly unstoppable. He was emotionally locked in from the get-go, shouting come-ons and exhortations to himself through the entire match. There were no falters or brain cramps, Nick was locked in from the first point to the last.

There were no signs at all that Nick hates tennis. To the contrary, last night was what Nick loves most about tennis. Playing the best brings out his very best. And that kind of special genius was worth seeing for all the inexplicable tank performances.

Though Nadal fought back to save match point and break Nick for 5-6 – erupting one of his huge fist pumps to announce his raging intensity and hunger to destroy his formidable adversary – Nadal blundered in the following service game with mediocre play. Nadal was broken easily to squander the match 62 75.

Nick dominated the entire duel with an unforgettable performance that instantly vaults him as one of the lead favorites to win his first major at the US Open.

If Kyrgios can sustain this level of intensity and concentration, the US Open will be his. But then again, who knows which Nick Kyrgios will show up if he has to play first round against Ryan Harrison or Lukas Lacko on court seventeen at 11 am?

Reactions: Fiero425

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
In fairness, he's number 1 because Murray skipped 2 masters and has under performed for months and Federer skipped Cinci due to injury. A healthy Federer would likely have won Cinci and so far he's player of the year with 2 slams anyway. Back to Kyrgios, he's made 2 slam quarter finals to date and best result at the USO is 3rd round. As much as I like him, he's not winning the USO and his fitness is always questionable which is the most likely reason he's not winning. Making the 2nd week would be a good result for him even with the state of the top players missing.

Also, the toying with part applies to everyone as Kyrgios is a crowd pleaser and likes to put on a show. He does trick shots in most matches.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

No excuses, Rafa has had an excellent year and he is of course worthy and deserving of being no. 1. Murray should have played these events. Murray let it slip away. I enjoy watching Nick toy, taunt and showboat with opponents. It adds an interesting element to tennis.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The SABR moves are being done repeatedly by Nick. He did it few times today also. Hope, he pays royalty toTMF at least every time he uses.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Duke Carnoustie writes:

Scoop, spot-on analysis. Kyrgios said afterward that he gets up for these matches and has trouble facing Nicholas Kicker in Lyon in front of 15 people. Under the lights, this is what he lives for. Rafa looked helpless out there - this is the No. 1 player in the world? I think these two weeks have proved that unless Murray and Djoker come back and hold off these young guys, it will be hard for Fed and Nadal to do so; Fed simply because will his body hold up and Nadal simply because outside of clay, I can't see him beating Zverev and Kyrgios on a consistent basis. I'm confident Kyrgios will seize the moment and dismiss Dimitrov tomorrow. As for the Open, I agree he will flame out with too much partying in NY to be had to focus for two whole weeks. Remember Nick is looking to find a gf too and plenty of women will be throwing themselves at him in New York. But the arrow on Kyrgios is pointed up.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Duke Carnoustie writes:

Fritz facing Jaziri in R1 at Winston-Salem and would face Sugita next. It's a winnable set of matches. Credit Kevin Anderson for pulling out and Isner should do the same. You are not planning to make a run at the USO if you play Winston-Salem.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hartt writes:

Outside of the AO Rafa has not played well on hard courts this year, so he may not be a factor at the USO. Andy Murray, out for some time with injury, lacks match play and practice time. Fed's back will be an issue. And of course Novak won't be there at all. This looks like an excellent opportunity for a new title holder at the USO.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Beating Ferrer is a big win for Kyrgios and shows he's serious and hungry for this title. We know Ferrer has an extreme hunger and for Nick to outwill Ferrer is a very good sign. It looks like Kyrgios has finally set his sights on going all the way. Could be Nick's time right now. And in NY.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Duke, thank you. I see Nick knocking off Dimitrov also. Regarding the girlfriend hunt - maybe Nick should pull a Safin and invite all his girlfriends to sit in his box during the Open. Safin went all the way to the final that one year he had four or five girlfriends in his box :)

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Isner is probably getting a hefty appearance fee. I would guess Isner might lose early in NC because he has a great shot to make a deep run at US Open this year.

scoop

Major Winner
Reactions
Scoop Malinowski writes:

Hartt; Rafa made finals of Aus, IW and Miami. Those are very good results on hard court.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Come on, It wasn't a Kyrgios master piece, Nadal has been beaten by himself!. And yesterday he had a tough match against a lot older player and who was playing a little better than all around this year but also has win one MS in his all carrer. I think it's being exaggerated the Kyrgios's results

Last edited:

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Hartt writes:

Scoop, Rafa did not make the final in IW. Fed creamed him in R16, something like 6-3, 6-2. And he was somewhat lucky to make the final in Miami - the highest ranked player he faced before that was Sock at No. 17.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Duke Carnoustie writes:

Nuts that Djoker, Stan and Kei are all out and maybe Cilic too. Then Murray having no match play and Fed maybe hurting too. Big chance for guys like Dimitrov, Tsonga and Monfils. Remember Monfils reached the SFs last year.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
Duke Carnoustie writes:

Kyrgios is training with buddy Jack Sock in Kansas City before heading to NY. Don't know if this is the best prep.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Duke Carnoustie writes:

Kyrgios is training with buddy Jack Sock in Kansas City before heading to NY. Don't know if this is the best prep.

Kyrgios was toying with Nadal and Ferrer it seemed to me! He wasn't going all out in some of those rallies where he was just hitting an easy BH crosscourt and deciding to play their game at times! When in trouble or truly needing the point, he was there with a big serve or FH to take over or win the point outright! The only silly stuff to me are those drop-shots so telegraphed that even a short Ferrer chased them down for winners! This is the Kyrgios that can dominate Nole who was already spiraling down! He should take this final, but ya never know! Grigor could rise to the occasion since this is both their 1st Masters' final! I'm sure they want to join their next-gen rival Sasha Z.! :yes:

Last edited:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
LOL, yeah......Kyrgios maybe he was toying with his own shadow playing against the "ghost" of Nadal and later against a guy a lot older than him and who was playing a little better for the first time in all around year and even that the match was very tied and tough for both and just Kyrgios' serve (much better than Ferru) was his "lifesaver"

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
How about Kyrgios is playing without injury for once so he's able to play properly. That's the way most would see it. How long it'll last is another thing. He's as injury prone as Nishikori and Raonic unfortunately.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
catherine writes:

Muguruza bt Halep 6- 6-0. If no injury affecting to Simona I would have to agree with Scoop, Garbine is the best player in the world at present.

TFBlogGuest

Masters Champion
Reactions
catherine writes:

And this is the second time in 2 weeks Simona has come up with 0 sets. Something seriously wrong here and no occ is putting it right.