Analysis of Rafael Nadal's Knee Injury (Computer Animation)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2U7MIP7fg0

Here is something that I found interesting. My thoughts are that this will be a bigger problem at SW19 than the other GSs due to the damn wet coldness of the temperatures, the slick grass during the 1st week and the arthritis that has most likely been building up over the years in Rafa's knees. (Maybe Rafa should wear sweats or some form of leggings just to try to keep that joints warm.)

Any thoughts?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Saw this before and thought it was all a bit silly tbh, especially the part about a load exceeding 1000lbs. How do they work that out?!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Saw this before and thought it was all a bit silly tbh, especially the part about a load exceeding 1000lbs. How do they work that out?!

Here you go Front.. When I was taking physics in college years ago, I could have probably explain but those days have long past.. Here is what I found.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2013/05/24/nidals-knee/16614a98c21d052e8778f23a4b2d4d15bf2551e5/web_RotateOne-tile-0.jpg

Bearing the Load

Here, on one leg, the knee is bearing a load that may reach up to seven times his body weight, or more than 1,000 pounds. The quadriceps muscle works to keep the knee joint stable. The patellar tendon carries the load from the muscle, putting pressure on the fat pad. The fat pad is located behind the knee cap and was an area of pain for Nadal.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Cheers for the link. Actually the weather hasn't been bad at all at Wimbledon and ironically RG had more bad weather than Wimbledon for once so maybe he should wear some sweats or whatever depending on conditions. Fed seems to wear that inner lining under his standard shirt to keep warm so yeah possibly something for Nadal's knee would prove useful in that way too. Important to keep warm and also why many people with arthritis emigrate to warm climates when they retire. Much easier on the body's joints, etc.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Cheers for the link. Actually the weather hasn't been bad at all at Wimbledon and ironically RG had more bad weather than Wimbledon for once so maybe he should wear some sweats or whatever depending on conditions. Fed seems to wear that inner lining under his standard shirt to keep warm so yeah possibly something for Nadal's knee would prove useful in that way too. Important to keep warm and also why many people with arthritis emigrate to warm climates when they retire. Much easier on the body's joints, etc.

Front, I may have to disagree with you on comparing the climates of RG and SW19. I never been to London but I would imagine its pretty much like San Francisco is in the Summer. Chilly sometimes during the day but later the breeze flows from the SF bay is pretty chilly for folks with arthritis in their joints like myself. Also, the damp grass is not an ally of Rafa but I don't know why it hasn't trouble him during 2006-2011.

the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

Front, I may have to disagree with you on comparing the climates of RG and SW19. I never been to London but I would imagine its pretty much like San Francisco is in the Summer. Chilly sometimes during the day but later the breeze flows from the SF bay is pretty chilly for folks with arthritis in their joints like myself. Also, the damp grass is not an ally of Rafa's especially when he tries to stop and load up his knee for his backhand as is illustrated in the animation. However, I don't know why it hasn't trouble him during 2006-2011.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Completely different every year really in London temperature wise but I definitely think we've had less rain at Wimbledon this year than in the past few years. Who can forget 2007. That was a disastrous year with Nadal and Soderling playing for 5 days! This year the conditions at RG were terrible though for the first few days but I guess that was something of a rarity to see them playing in 15C for a few matches. Ridiculous temperatures for May really. Fed and Nadal can wear full body armour if it keeps them both playing better for longer as far as I care :) The tennis world needs them to have a few more years of elite tennis for us all to enjoy.

Andrew William

Masters Champion
Reactions
Thanks AP. I found it educational.

I know this would probably be extreme, but if Nadal changed to a 1-handed backhand, this would alleviate some pressure on the knee. However unlikely it is that he'll change anything in his game at this point, if the knee problem continues maybe he ought to take drastic measures.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
I saw another animation related to his defeat... starring a chap called Steve Darcis.

Thats cold Baron Brit:laydownlaughing

AndrewWilliam said:
Thanks AP. I found it educational.

I know this would probably be extreme, but if Nadal changed to a 1-handed backhand, this would alleviate some pressure on the knee. However unlikely it is that he'll change anything in his game at this point, if the knee problem continues maybe he ought to take drastic measures.
I think he should've gotten the knee scoped last year, it would've been fully healed by now. Heck, if there isnt a tear to the major ligaments at this point , Rafa should get it cleaned our and he could be back practicung by the end of July and at full strength by Toronto or Cincy.