A country going nuts

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
On facebook few minutes ago: :D

simo_facebook.jpg

Every line ends with the compulsory 3 or more exclamation signs.
4th post from top (Constantin Sandu) says this (translated):
"You (Simona) are our savior. We know we aren't worthy of you but we love you" :wow:
In Romanian: "Tu esti salvarea noastra stim ca nu te meritam dar te iubim".

They (and me) lost their minds :rolleyes:
Link: https://www.facebook.com/SimonaHalepOfficial

The match is at 3.30 AM Romania time. Many alarm clocks will go off there in the middle of the night :D

R

Rose

It's great when a country can get behind a great player that is "their" player :D

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sometimes, it is not very good. For example, few years ago, there was so much
adulation of Sania Mirza in India. She is a huge celebrity in India and made tons
of money using her celebrity status. All of this were possible because no woman
from India have succeeded in tennis as much as Sania.

Having said that, take an objective look at her record. She did not even make it
into top 20. I think her best result in GS was a 4th round finish in USO. She had won
just one singles title in her whole career and that too at a small event.

But, Romania being a small Eastern European Country, hopefully the enthusiasm
by her country folks will help her instead of hurting her.

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
The enthusiasm of the Indian people didn't bother Mirza. She just wasn't good enough.
Simona already has 7 titles and is ranked 5th. She already achieved much more than Mirza.
No comparison here. The country backing is pushing her forward for more success.
She plays "with pleasure"...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Si Si Simona said:
The enthusiasm of the Indian people didn't bother Mirza. She just wasn't good enough.
Simona already has 7 titles and is ranked 5th. She already achieved much more than Mirza.
No comparison here. The country backing is pushing her forward for more success.
She plays "with pleasure"...

There is no question that Simona has achieved way more than Sania. I was not
even attempting to compare them in that regard.

What I was trying to say was this: With too much adulation and celebrity status,
she got somewhat way laid and probably achieved lot less than she is capable of. But,
then there is a positive side to the story too. She made tons of money (not by
winning matches, but via endorsements got through her celebrity status which is
disproportionate to her on court achievements), more than what she could have
made, even if she fully realized her potential, if she were from a western European
country.

I too feel that in Simona's case the enthusiasm of country folks will help her
(especially, if she does not become disproportionately rich).

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Uhm, its just tennis. A game. I'd be invested in more serious things and watch tennis for leasure.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
She rated an article in the New York Times,, which I thought you might be interested in.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
She rated an article in the New York Times,, which I thought you might be interested in.

Great article. Thanks for sharing it.

This part really stands out:

"Since May, Halep, 22, has won 57 matches, the most on the WTA Tour during that stretch, ahead of the 51 by top-ranked Serena Williams. Halep’s seven titles in that period are also a tour high. The tournaments she has won have been successively more prestigious and have come on clay, grass, and outdoor and indoor hardcourts in Europe, North America and Asia."

Incredible year. I look forward to her at Roland Garros, especially since it was in Rome last year when she began this journey.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
tented said:
Moxie629 said:

"Since May, Halep, 22, has won 57 matches, the most on the WTA Tour during that stretch, ahead of the 51 by top-ranked Serena Williams. Halep’s seven titles in that period are also a tour high. The tournaments she has won have been successively more prestigious and have come on clay, grass, and outdoor and indoor hardcourts in Europe, North America and Asia."

Incredible year. I look forward to her at Roland Garros, especially since it was in Rome last year when she began this journey.

As impressive as the as the last 9 months have been Halep, I think the part that states she has more wins than Serena is misleading in many way.

First, how many losses does she also have in that same period, or how many tournies has she played in comparison to Serena, and the quality of the events between the two in that period is also important.

It's not to take a thing away from Halep in the least, but, when a journalist is going make those comparison between what one athletes does in comparison to another, there should be a qualifier.

For instance, Donald Yound won as many events as Federer last year, but, Donald Young wins were on the Challenger tour and Federers on the ATP. The wins are not equal.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Calvy said:
tented said:
Moxie629 said:

As impressive as the as the last 9 months have been Halep, I think the part that states she has more wins than Serena is misleading in many way.

First, how many losses does she also have in that same period, or how many tournies has she played in comparison to Serena, and the quality of the events between the two in that period is also important.

It's not to take a thing away from Halep in the least, but, when a journalist is going make those comparison between what one athletes does in comparison to another, there should be a qualifier.

For instance, Donald Yound won as many events as Federer last year, but, Donald Young wins were on the Challenger tour and Federers on the ATP. The wins are not equal.

Excellent points, Calvy.