23. FRITZ, Taylor USA
24. BERRETTINI, Matteo ITA
25. KUKUSHKIN, Mikhail KAZ
26. DE MINAUR, Alex AUS
27. WAWRINKA, Stan SUI
28. MURRAY, Andy GBR

court-international-jpg.1437

The Tournament:

After two years in Nottingham, the ATP World Tour event returns to Eastbourne in 2017. The Nature Valley International is a tennis tournament on the Women's Tennis Association Tour and the ATP World Tour held at the Devonshire Park Lawn Tennis Club, Eastbourne, United Kingdom.

Held since 1974, it is classified as a WTA Premier tournament on the WTA Tour. Also, it was an ATP World Tour 250 series on the ATP World Tour from 2009 to 2014. The tournament is played on outdoor grass courts, and is generally considered a "warm-up" for the Wimbledon Grand Slam event, which begins the following week.

About Eastbourne:

Eastbourne is a large town, seaside resort, and borough in the non-metropolitan county of East Sussex on the south coast of England, 19 miles (31 km) east of Brighton. Eastbourne is immediately to the east of Beachy Head, the highest chalk sea cliff in Great Britain.

With a seafront consisting largely of Victorian hotels, a pier, and a Napoleonic era fort and military museum, Eastbourne was developed by the Duke of Devonshire from 1859 from four separate hamlets. It has a growing population, a broad economic base, and is home to companies in a wide range of industries.
800px-eastbourne_beach_-_geograph-org-uk_-_1582936-jpg.1438

Tourism Guide:

Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
The Draw
sMclFx2.png

Fucsovic was the 8th seed and he has withdrawn.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What's wrong with Fucsovic? Such a shame about Murray v. Wawrinka in the first round. If anyone ever need proof that draws aren't rigged....just sayin'. I'll be rooting for Murray.

Reactions: Horsa

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Mon 11 a.m. EDT is the scheduled time for a match between two lowly wild cards.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Just joining. Murray won first set 6-1. Waw serving at 3-5. Murray a game away from winning.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
This was a beatdown. I know it's not in Wawa's DNA but he should hit w/ more margin until he gets his timing, rhythm and confidence back.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Murray wins the second set 6-3 (double break win) and the match.

Based up on his performance against Nick and Stan, Murray's situation is promising.

He is not going to be able to win Wimbledon though.

But, I think we can safely put aside the speculation of his career being over.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
British #3 shall face British #1 in the next round. No matter what happens, EquineAnn will be happy.

Reactions: Horsa

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I didn't see any of the match, but happy for Murray. I hope it's going to have paid off for him to take so much time to make sure the hip was healed and ready. I agree it's too early for him this Wimbledon, but if he's done right by his hip, then there may still be Majors in his future.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Results from the Nature Valley International - Eastbourne, United Kingdom, Gent's Singles Round 1 matches on Monday
upload_2018-6-25_20-5-36.png

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think that is supposed to be "baskets", your foul mouthed phone autocorrected it.:D
No, it's a reference to a clever Dorothy Parker quip: "Don't put all of your eggs in one bastard." I meant "bastard" very specifically. ;)

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
No, it's a reference to a clever Dorothy Parker quip: "Don't put all of your eggs in one bastard." I meant "bastard" very specifically. ;)

No, I spread them around. Darcis, Rosol, Nick, Brown, Muller etc.:lulz2:

Talking of my other hero Rosol, he is ranked #263 and could not even get into qualifying of Wimbledon. I am not even sure whether he is active in the circuit.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, I spread them around. Darcis, Rosol, Nick, Brown, Muller etc.:lulz2:

Talking of my other hero Rosol, he is ranked #263 and could not even get into qualifying of Wimbledon. I am not even sure whether he is active in the circuit.
LOL, fair enough. Rosol has been around, I think he just actively sucks. It is a bit pathetic, though, that you embrace any journeyman simply because he has beaten Nadal. It's your privilege for sure. But at least Nadal fans have the dignity not to embrace the likes of Stakhovsky. And I wouldn't be over-smug about Nick Kyrgios.

Last edited:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
LOL, fair enough. Rosol has been around, I think he just actively sucks. It is a bit pathetic, though, that you embrace any journeyman simply because he has beaten Nadal. It's your privilege for sure. But at least Nadal fans have the dignity not to embrace the likes of Stakhovsky. And I wouldn't be over-smug about Nick Kyrgios.

No, I was just joking. I am not championing these folks just because they beat Rafa. Of course, among these Nick is likely to not end up as a journeyman.

However, I do really like Brown (not just because he beat Rafa). He is entertaining to watch and does amazing trick shots. But, he is just not consistent enough in his game that he cannot even be in top 100 for any extended period of time.

Once Brown hit a service return drop shot and the other guy came running forward, but alas after hitting the opponents court, the ball bounced back to Brown's side and so the opponent could not do anything (even if he got there on time). I had posted that video before.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I looked up. Rosol is primarily playing in the challenger circuit as his ranking is very low. But, he is indeed active.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dustin Brown is fun to watch. But he really only makes noise a couple of times a year. Gilles Muller I do admire. And the way he hung in to beat Rafa last year was impressive. I actually root for him, because of that.