Who wins?

• Sloane Stephens in straights

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
V will win in three. Sloane is coming back after a long injury break. But, Vee is in form all through year. Further, Sloane is basically a defensive player and that attitude is not going to win big matches.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sloane hopefully, I've always loved her, don't know why, she seems to be a nice little woman even if I never met her

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Venus in 2 tight sets or 3 sets w/ one being easy

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like vote and didn't vote. I'd like to have seen Venus, but I think Sloane has a new grit after injury. Good for her.

Reactions: Fiero425

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
What a match..Wow..Sloane 's game has gotten so much better..she didnt have a mud court game before..everything was from behind the baseline.,I have to admit I was pulling for Vee..she played so great and such a classy lady..in the end.,it was too much Miss Ebony Smooth for Vee..

(Kskate you named that beautiful young lady well) :clap:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
It was as if no one wanted to win the match in the 3rd. Both getting broken several times, but Venus wasn't aggressive at the net when she needed to be nor did she serve all that well. That recipe is a paradise for a defensive player like Sloane who just kept getting the ball back. Congrats to Ebony Smooth on reaching her first slam final. I don't think she will win it though. Too defensive a game for either Keys or Puffy.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
What a match..Wow..Sloane 's game has gotten so much better..she didnt have a mud court game before..everything was from behind the baseline.,I have to admit I was pulling for Vee..she played so great and such a classy lady..in the end.,it was too much Miss Ebony Smooth for Vee..

:clap:

I'm so glad Sloane knocked out the old lady who has no life & should move on to something else! Now Venus can go see her new niece! :rolleyes:

Reactions: isabelle

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It was as if no one wanted to win the match in the 3rd. Both getting broken several times, but Venus wasn't aggressive at the net when she needed to be nor did she serve all that well. That recipe is a paradise for a defensive player like Sloane who just kept getting the ball back. Congrats to Ebony Smooth on reaching her first slam final. I don't think she will win it though. Too defensive a game for either Keys or Puffy.
I would favor Madison but I respectfully disagree with your analysis of defensive tennis..Sloane took it to Vee, In response, Vee brought it back and then with some more firepower but Sloane defense was almost like Novak or young Rafa, indestructible.. Sloane forced Vee to hit another ball, which was way too much for Venus..

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I would favor Madison but I respectfully disagree with your analysis of defensive tennis..Sloane took it to Vee, In response, Vee brought it back and then with some more firepower but Sloane defense was almost like Novak or young Rafa, indestructible.. Sloane forced Vee to hit another ball, which was way too much for Venus..

I only watched it periodically, but I think most players are too defensive! They hit a great shot making their opponent scramble, but stay back 10 yards behind the baseline allowing a weak squash shot to stay in the point! I grew up when it was necessary to finish off points at the net instead of trying to outlast or wait for an error! I would think Sloane got defensive in that 2nd set hoping Venus would give her the match and she barely made it through in 3! :facepalm: :eek: :rolleyes:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I only watched it periodically, but I think most players are too defensive! They hit a great shot making their opponent scramble, but stay back 10 yards behind the baseline allowing a weak squash shot to stay in the point! I grew up when it was necessary to finish off points at the net instead of trying to outlast or wait for an error! I would think Sloane got defensive in that 2nd set hoping Venus would give her the match and she barely made it through in 3! :facepalm: :eek: :rolleyes:
Could be..I thought Venus stepped up her game..

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I posted in the wrong thread. I came home late, but just in time when 3rd set was about to begin. I was extremely impressed by the quality of tennis that these two brought. Easily, the best set at this year's USO.

I was rooting for Vee and generally don't like Sloane that much, but despite that I was really impressed by Sloane's determination, grit and defense. Unbelievable. From #930 to USO finalist in 5 weeks. :clap:

Now, I will be rooting for Sloane in the finals.

Reactions: Fiero425

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Then we'll have to disagree. ES is the African American Kerber. She gets a ton of balls back, waits for her opponent to self-destruct and will occasionally strike a winner when the iron is hot . It's not that she can't be more aggressive and take the initiative, she just doesn't. Sorry, but 17 winners in a 3-set SF match against a power player spells defense all the day long...

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
just very happy for Sloane, hope she can win this USO