2016 Australian Open: Melbourne Sidewalk Cafe Talks

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
2016 Australian Open. It is closer than you think.

lets get this party started. Post away and have fun.

Go ahead and list your top 3 favorites for the first slam of 2016.  Also list your dark horses.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
my top 3 favorites:
  1. Djokovic
  2. Federer
  3. Andy Murray

Dark horse: Wawrinka

if Djokovic manages to stumble guys like Federer and Andy Murray will be right there to capitalize.

I have zero confidence in my own player (Rafa) at the moment: he has already said that he may not be ready for the Australian Open.

that may be his way of saying that he does not really plan to be all in.

we will just have to wait and see if he can get the fire from within burning again. we can wait and see what changes he makes with his training and his fitness. there is not really much time left.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I'll come back to tennis later, all I can think of now when anybody mentions January is snow and coooooold temperatures. :wacko:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
At the moment it's looking like Djokovic, head and shoulders above everybody else.

I can't see Fed or Murray taking him in Melbourne as it stands.  The best bet is for an outlier like Stan redlining.

Two of the best matches I've watched in the last few years were their AO clashes.  They're tied at 1 each. We need a decider.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
9439 said:
At the moment it’s looking like Djokovic, head and shoulders above everybody else. I can’t see Fed or Murray taking him in Melbourne as it stands. The best bet is for an outlier like Stan redlining. Two of the best matches I’ve watched in the last few years were their AO clashes. They’re tied at 1 each. We need a decider.

stan  in his current state and as it stands now is really no match for djokovic.

like you said, nothing short of redlining his game and making it work while catching djokovic asleep is the only chance he has.

you have just got to swing for the fences and snag the first 2 sets against djokovic.  he is too fit. that is what allows him to fight like hell for every single point. he is basically never out of position.

stan is not young either. it is going to get a little harder for him going forward.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
It is my favourite slam but it maybe too early for it considered we will have some more excitement this year like Bercy, O2 and then British losing Davis Cup finale ;-)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^Agreed it's a bit early to start with the AO conversation.  But how come you're so against Britain winning the DC?  I can't possibly be because you're so pro-Belgium.  Is it just full-on anti-Murray?  I'm curious.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Federer has a shot at the title in Melbourne.

the man is driven, focused, and he will show up prepared.

those who are driven, focused, and prepared are bound to find some success.

he really should have been able to snatch the U. S. Open crown. It slipped away from him.

roger will be a factor in Melbourne and at Wimbledon.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
9504 said:
^Agreed it’s a bit early to start with the AO conversation. But how come you’re so against Britain winning the DC? I can’t possibly be because you’re so pro-Belgium. Is it just full-on anti-Murray? I’m curious.

Several reasons, like Belgians are underdogs, but also Murray has been overhyped anyway and I don't want him with even more confidence and hype he will get from British state media should he wins the DC. In recent years, Murray hype goes along with their trash-talking No1e which I don't really like to read.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Andy Murray just not been the same since his back surgery.

he also failed to do develop a bigger serve to compensate him to some extent for not having a dominating forehand.

andy  does not have a dominating forehand with massive finishing power.

today you need finishing power off both wings. Or you need the kind of forehand Rafa and Roger had.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
10645 said:
who can name these 2 players: <a class="d4pbbc-url" href="http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/spartacus120/media/camelot%20forum/mel-6_zpseldjcxfd.jpg.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
mel-6_zpseldjcxfd.jpg
</a>

Nadal and I'd hazard guess it's Tomas Berdych serving.