2015-16 NBA Regular Season

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone tuning into the big games tonight? Grizzlies @ Warriors and Jazz @ Lakers. Usually the last day of the regular season is a snoozefest especially if seeding is already decided but these are historic games. Warriors gunning for 73 and I'd be absolutely stunned if they don't get it. They've been gunning for this record all season and they aren't going to let this opportunity slip. This is like a playoff game for them and a meaningless one for the Grizz.

And then we have Kobe's last game. I never was the biggest fan of his and there are A LOT of people that really overrate his standing in the history of the game. Interestingly enough that recent ESPN poll may have underrated him, I almost expected they would have him in the top 5 ever. Instead they overrated Bron by putting him #3. With that said Kobe is one of those players that will be remembered for a long time, he helped keep the NBA relevant after MJ retired and his game and intensity mirrored MJ in many ways.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
April 13th NBA Regular season Final

Warriors win 73 victories break the Bulls 72-10 record Congrats :clap:clap:clap

KOBE, KOBE, KOBE, KOBE socres 60 points in his final NBA performance. MAMBA OUT:clap:clap

What a NIGHT

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Passing, ball handling, assist/turnover ratio, defense and efficiency. Your view of bball is so narrow its not even funny. Everyone would take Curry, many and perhaps most would take Westbrook, and then if age is left out there is no way anyone in the know would take another point guard over Paul.

Apparently basketball is just a running and jumping contest and extra points are handed out for taking difficult shots and making them at a low %. That's why it was easy to tell you loved Ricky Davis...RICKY DAVIS

Paul plays great defense? Since when? He is one of the easiest players in the NBA to drive past because he is so slow. His passing is nothing special; I wouldn't say it is bad but it isn't anything other point guards can't do. As for his numbers, they are the result of playing 44 minutes per game and being giftwrapped 10 assists by playcalls and the pace of the game. He is the ideal point guard for people who love a slow pace, which is pretty much everyone.

Ricky Davis was a more talented player than Chris Paul and he was also savvy. He wasn't just an athlete.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Paul takes less shots than Westbrook because he is a true point guard. Paul would do just fine if he took over 20 shots per game but on average he isn't going to do that. And I'm not dogging Westbrook here, he should be taking a lot of shots because aside from Durant there are not many good options on the Thunder. The Clips have many more scorers for Paul even though none are in the same universe as KD.

I disagree in regards to Paul not making the finals with that team back then. Westbrook was not really a great player yet when OKC made the finals, that was mostly about Durant and it was a surprise they beat San Antonio that year in the playoffs.

The playoff win over San Antonio was actually mostly due to Harden. And, again, you are laughably overrating Paul's athleticism. Athleticism is not everything but it accounts for something. He is so unathletic for the amount of hype he gets it isn't even funny. He doesn't get to the rim, he is not exceptionally fast, and he slows the game down by over-dribbling. In no universe could he ever do what Westbrook does in generating his own shot. We are comparing someone in Westbrook who dunks on everyone in the league to someone who can hardly get past his man without a screen.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Does someone want to tell me how Chris Paul sticking his chest out at half court and then proceeding to dribble 15 times while he barks at his teammates to go to spots is more impressive than this?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Paul plays great defense? Since when? He is one of the easiest players in the NBA to drive past because he is so slow. His passing is nothing special; I wouldn't say it is bad but it isn't anything other point guards can't do. As for his numbers, they are the result of playing 44 minutes per game and being giftwrapped 10 assists by playcalls and the pace of the game. He is the ideal point guard for people who love a slow pace, which is pretty much everyone.

Ricky Davis was a more talented player than Chris Paul and he was also savvy. He wasn't just an athlete.

Paul's defense may be overrated but that's because it has been rated very high. He has been on 1st team all defense 5 times and 2nd team 2 times. I know part of that is a popularity contest but Paul does play good defense. He isn't going to stop Curry or Westbrook but he limits most other PG's.

And did you seriously think you'd get away throwing BS numbers like 44 minutes per game at me? http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2779/chris-paul 33 minutes for the season and 36 minutes for his career. Also of note is he had the best point differential in the league aside from players on Golden State. Clips were +534 with him on the court and -200 with him off it. His passing and ballhandling are spectacular and no, most other PG's don't do it as well.

You get the same amount of points making an unnecessarily tough fadeaway as you do for making a boring layup. I'm surprised to see Davis actually shot 44.5% for his career. That's not good, mind you, but better than I figured. Still, we are talking about someone who simply was never that good but he sure was wacky as hell.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Does someone want to tell me how Chris Paul sticking his chest out at half court and then proceeding to dribble 15 times while he barks at his teammates to go to spots is more impressive than this?

Awesome dunks. I have to admit I didn't remember him being quite that athletic. That said I still counted 2 points for each of them. Same as a Tim Duncan bank shot my friend.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The playoff win over San Antonio was actually mostly due to Harden. And, again, you are laughably overrating Paul's athleticism. Athleticism is not everything but it accounts for something. He is so unathletic for the amount of hype he gets it isn't even funny. He doesn't get to the rim, he is not exceptionally fast, and he slows the game down by over-dribbling. In no universe could he ever do what Westbrook does in generating his own shot. We are comparing someone in Westbrook who dunks on everyone in the league to someone who can hardly get past his man without a screen.

I'm not overrating Paul's athleticism. I never said he was an explosive athlete like Russ. He never was and definitely not now. But Paul is actually very good at getting to the hoop and that's because of his handle. He is very quick and precise with the ball.

You are seriously overrating athleticism in the NBA. There are plenty of all time greats who have not been explosive athletes. Let me guess, you'd take Ricky Davis over Larry Bird right? Or maybe you'd take a freakish athletic power forward over Duncan and Malone?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Now let's see if they have anything left for the playoffs. They put so much energy into breaking the record that I don't know if they'll make it back to the finals. Glad to see the Mamba go out in style

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't know what a top 15 video highlight proves. Davis can produce spectacular dunks and Paul can't I guess. But I'm sure if I were to Youtube Chris Paul highlights (but I hate his guts so I wouldn't do that to myself), I'd find some spectacular plays as well, filled with dazzling ball handling and/or passing. The guy is really good. His defense is definitely super overrated, and there is no excusing his failures in the playoffs throughout his career, but his court vision and passing are definitely above most point guards in the NBA. The only two who compare are Rondo and John Wall in that regard.

Cali is biased towards athleticism in the NBA and that's fine, to each his own, but I don't think not being a great athlete makes Paul an overrated player. He's definitely a top 3 point guard.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wow, Kobe's farewell was magical. What a way to end a glorious career. Very fitting, in almost every way.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
All I see is a GS and Cavs final that ends in 5 at most. I also think OKC surprises Spurs in 2nd round.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Paul's defense may be overrated but that's because it has been rated very high. He has been on 1st team all defense 5 times and 2nd team 2 times. I know part of that is a popularity contest but Paul does play good defense. He isn't going to stop Curry or Westbrook but he limits most other PG's.

And did you seriously think you'd get away throwing BS numbers like 44 minutes per game at me? http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2779/chris-paul 33 minutes for the season and 36 minutes for his career. Also of note is he had the best point differential in the league aside from players on Golden State. Clips were +534 with him on the court and -200 with him off it. His passing and ballhandling are spectacular and no, most other PG's don't do it as well.

You get the same amount of points making an unnecessarily tough fadeaway as you do for making a boring layup. I'm surprised to see Davis actually shot 44.5% for his career. That's not good, mind you, but better than I figured. Still, we are talking about someone who simply was never that good but he sure was wacky as hell.

Twisted, my view of sports - like my view of politics - is that everything works top down and the power-wielders ultimately determine the course of events. In the NBA, there is a consensus among GM's and coaches about what a point guard should do. I take issue with the consensus, but it is what it is. By the criteria of that consensus, Chris Paul is an ideal point guard. He plays the part in a predetermined script.

There are players who are more athletic and just as intelligent but who do not get to play their game because it is perceived as too fast or out of control. Paul's lack of athleticism benefits him because he is perceived as being under control and smart in his decision-making. My 44 minute mark was a big hyperbolic but the point is the same with his actual mark being 36 minutes per game. Paul gets to be on the court for long periods of time with everything set for him to build and pad stats. He is able to get a rhythm night after night and play at the pace he is most comfortable at with everyone stroking his ego and telling him how wonderful he is. With that being the case, why should we be surprised that his numbers are good?

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know what a top 15 video highlight proves. Davis can produce spectacular dunks and Paul can't I guess. But I'm sure if I were to Youtube Chris Paul highlights (but I hate his guts so I wouldn't do that to myself), I'd find some spectacular plays as well, filled with dazzling ball handling and/or passing. The guy is really good. His defense is definitely super overrated, and there is no excusing his failures in the playoffs throughout his career, but his court vision and passing are definitely above most point guards in the NBA. The only two who compare are Rondo and John Wall in that regard.

Cali is biased towards athleticism in the NBA and that's fine, to each his own, but I don't think not being a great athlete makes Paul an overrated player. He's definitely a top 3 point guard.

As I just explained to Twisted, Paul plays the part in a predetermined script set by the NBA execs and basketball minds. That script allows him to be a drill sergeant who slows the game down and bosses his teammates around. To play like Paul does and not average 10 assists would mean that you are a total liability. Getting 10 assists per game is the least that can be expected of someone who is constantly dribbling and dominating the ball and gesturing at teammates to go to certain spots.

You must keep in mind that I dislike the idea of point guards in general because I think they ruin the flow of a basketball game. They are referred to as "coaches on the floor", and I think very little of most coaches. Given that Paul is considered the epitome of a coach on the floor, it should come as no surprise that I do not like how he plays. I never have a problem seeing his teams beaten decisively unless they are losing to the Spurs.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Twisted, my view of sports - like my view of politics - is that everything works top down and the power-wielders ultimately determine the course of events. In the NBA, there is a consensus among GM's and coaches about what a point guard should do. I take issue with the consensus, but it is what it is. By the criteria of that consensus, Chris Paul is an ideal point guard. He plays the part in a predetermined script.

There are players who are more athletic and just as intelligent but who do not get to play their game because it is perceived as too fast or out of control. Paul's lack of athleticism benefits him because he is perceived as being under control and smart in his decision-making. My 44 minute mark was a big hyperbolic but the point is the same with his actual mark being 36 minutes per game. Paul gets to be on the court for long periods of time with everything set for him to build and pad stats. He is able to get a rhythm night after night and play at the pace he is most comfortable at with everyone stroking his ego and telling him how wonderful he is. With that being the case, why should we be surprised that his numbers are good?

36 minutes is not a lot, especially for a star player. Paul was tied for 2nd most assists/48 minutes in the NBA and had the 2nd best assist to turnover ratio next to Conley who missed a lot of the season and is not a top PG even when healthy. And all this without having Griffin for most of the season.

I think NBA coaches and GM's have long accepted that the style of a typical point guard is changing. No one is going to complain about having Curry, Westbrook, or Paul on their team even if they all play very differently.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wade always has been my favorite player, now he with the Bulls and I'm following him until probably soon end of his career, gooooo Bulls!!!:cheerleader: