2014 Wimby afterthoughts, Doubles-->Mixed!

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
I am opening this thread to talk doubles, Mixed doubles and then I will have a post reflecting my thoughts after the championship.
For now, here are your 2014 doubles Champions.

m_12_womensdoubles187_aeltc_fesiele.jpg

These two were missing Wimby trophies in their cabinets to complete the collection and now they got it. The Italians were the first pair to ever win this in 128 years!

read more here:
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2014-07-05/doubles_joy_for_italian_duo_errani_and_vinci_.html

The mixed doubles is set for finals , you'll be surprised to see who made it:

Max Mirnyi (BLR) [14]
Hao-Ching Chan (TPE) [14]
VERSUS
Nenad Zimonjic (SRB) [15]
Samantha Stosur (AUS) [15]

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Wimby afterthoughts, Doubles-->Mixed!

Congratulations to Sara and Roberta completing their career slam in doubles

Great achievement.....well done Sara and Roberta!!!!!!!!!!!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Wimby afterthoughts, Doubles-->Mixed!

Kiu said:
I am opening this thread to talk doubles, Mixed doubles and then I will have a post reflecting my thoughts after the championship.
For now, here is your doubles Champions.

m_12_womensdoubles187_aeltc_fesiele.jpg

These two were missing Wimby trophies in their cabinets to complete the collection and now they got it. The Italians were the first pair to ever win this in 128 years!

read more here:
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2014-07-05/doubles_joy_for_italian_duo_errani_and_vinci_.html

The mixed doubles is set for finals , you'll be surprised to see who made it:

Max Mirnyi (BLR) [14]
Hao-Ching Chan (TPE) [14]
VERSUS
Nenad Zimonjic (SRB) [15]
Samantha Stosur (AUS) [15]

Wow, I did not realize that there were no doubles champions for the last 127 years. ;)

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Wow, I did not realize that there were no doubles champions for the last 127 years. ;)
There were plenty ladies doubles champions, 127 pairs to be exact.
None were Italian though!
It took the Italians 128 years to conquer Wimbledon!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kiu said:
GameSetAndMath said:
There were plenty ladies doubles champions, 127 pairs to be exact.
None were Italian though!
It took the Italians 128 years to conquer Wimbledon!

And not to miss what you pointed out before: it is the CAREER slam for the pair. They have previously won USO, Australia and the French together. Forza Vinci ed Errani!

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
You all think it's over?

Not until Slammin' Sammy gets her mixed doubles trophy!
Ahead a set and a break...

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to Samantha Stosur and Nenad Zimonjic winning the Mixed Doubles Title defeating
Max Mirnyi and Chan Hao-Ching 64 62.

This is Stosur's third mixed Doubles GS title ( winning 2008 Wimbledon with B.Bryan and 2005 Australian Open with Scott Draper)

This is Zimonjic first mixed Doubles GS title at Wimbledon ( Serbia is having a great day) ( Zimonjic now has five mixed doubles GS titles,having won 2 AO and 2 French Opens).

Well Done!!!!!!!!!!!!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
Congratulations to Samantha Stosur and Nenad Zimonjic winning the Mixed Doubles Title defeating

This is Stosur's third mixed Doubles GS title ( winning 2008 Wimbledon with B.Bryan and 2005 Australian Open with Scott Draper)

This is Zimonjic first mixed Doubles GS title at Wimbledon ( Serbia is having a great day) ( Zimonjic now has five mixed doubles GS titles,having won 2 AO and 2 French Opens).

Well Done!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to Wimbledon site, Zimonjic finished complete set with this one.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
fashionista said:

Well Done!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to Wimbledon site, Zimonjic finished complete set with this one.

Zimonjic hasn't won the mixed doubles at the USO?

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
1407061419515433684_o.jpg

here are my afterthoughts.

I shall start with Serena, our #1 ranked player has yet to score a major this year, she is still #1, leading the rest of the field by at least 2500 points or more, but Serena creates more questions than answers for me, she has 6300 points to defend the rest of the year, playing Bastad next, one wonders, how will she do during the US Open series and US Open? Can she defend all those points? She has not defended much this year.

Li Na is next on the list, she promised earlier in the year(after AO) that she was going to compete for #1 ranking, she promised to be focused and she promised good Tennis but it's been downhill for Li. Injuries, missed tournys and early exits has been the norm, now more than ever, I am wondering about Na. I just don't know if Li is capable of defending the 3000 points she scored after wimby last year.

Masha comes to my mind next, Sharapova did win a major this year, she took advantage of top seeds' early exit in French open, overcame a tough field and scored but when it came to another opportunity in Wimby, she got ousted by someone she normally beats, she couldn't take advantage... Here we have the same old Masha that can't win more than one major every other year, what else is new?

As for others in top 10, I see most are sliding other than 3, Petra showed us the kind of wonders a little fitness and the right mind can do for one's Tennis, hence her repeat in Wimbledon after 3 years of being someone with lots of potential but without much results. Then we have Simona and Eugenie, these two ladies have shown steady climb of the ranking ladder throughout the year and to me are the brightest stars shining upon the WTA tour.

3 majors into the year, all were won by previous major champions. That's the bottom line.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Another player I am interested in watching with the up coming HC season is No 10th ranked player Victoria Azarenka.I didnt't expect her to go far at Wimbledon,due to the fact she was just coming back on tour from a foot injury,didn't have the match practice.

Azarenka has confirmed to play Stanford which begins July 28th.

Azarenka has points to defend in Cincinnati,she is the defending champion.Azarenka has also been twice the runner up at the USO in 2012 and 2013 to Serena Williams.

Azarenka's best surface is hard courts.If Azarenka can get back to her playing level during the HC season she could be a threat at the USO.