2014 Roland Garros Draw

tented

Administrator
Reactions
The women's draw is out.

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/news/wta-tennis/2014-french-open-roland-garros-womens-draw/

Serena and Radwanska are in the top half; Li Na and Halep are in the bottom half.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Ouch at Venus and Maria landing in Serena's quarter.

Did you see the draw presentation this morning? Serena was there to help draw the seeds. She looked great.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I did see it, and Serena did look nice.

First thoughts:

Serena: has a fun draw at least I know she will be on point from the get go with Muguruza, Venus, Stosur, Lisicki and Sharapova all in one quarter
Radwanska: perhaps the best draw of the top 4
Halep: has a very workable draw though she has some tough customers if she encounters them on their A game like Ivanovic, Kuznetsova and Kvitova
Li: has a very easy draw on paper too no one of really clay prowess note until much later like an Errani and Jankovic. I say that, but of the top 4, Li has been the biggest flake of the year.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I really like the possibility of a Serena Williams/Halep (or Ivanovic) final.

Love Carla S-N's chances of getting to the semis against Serena. Think the winner of Petko/Li plays Halep in the other semi.

I can see Vekic and Giorgi possibly stepping up big this tourney. They have friendly draws.

toshiroh

Reactions
Ana's draw is brutal. she won't be making it to the final. Even her first round is a question as she drew an in form Garcia.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
I love Serena's draw, I'd rather the players in her quarter than a Kuznetsova. Also, I am one of those whom doesn't find a potential Serena vs. Maria final compelling anymore.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I was hoping Ana would go far here, but she had bad luck in the draw. Many tough opponents in her quarter. If Li can hold her nerve, she can get to the final. However, she is too much of a choker to make it through six matches.

Well wishes to Woz, in particular.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I still have a question mark on Halep?.....regarding her Ab injury
Ana's draw is tough
I like Serena's draw
I also have a question mark with Li....though she does tend to play better at GS.
They are my initial thoughts as I am still looking through the draw

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
If Serena has an unnamed decent player against her in FO, it could be dangerous for her
as we all know from past history. However, this draw presents only interesting named
players for Serena and so, she will take each round seriously and so will make it all the
way to the top.

Poor Maria ends up in the wrong quarter.

Kvitoa has serious mental problems and Halep has serious physical problems. Hence,
I think Ana will rise up and win that quarter.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ unnamed player again....this reminds me of your thoughts in the ATP...Rafa?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
fashionista said:
^ unnamed player again....this reminds me of your thoughts in the ATP...Rafa?

No, No. I was talking about Serena's sporadic losses against unnamed players in
various slams. Take for example Virgine Ruzzo, Sabine Lisciki, Sloane Stephens
etc.

Serena needs an interesting and potentially dangerous opponent to bring her
body and mind to the game. She gets such opponents in this draw (except
for the 1st round).

2nd round: Youngster Garbine
3rd round: sis Venus
4th round: previously unnamed Lisciki
QF: her personal punching bag, Maria

After that players usually have names.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I should have put a wink after my last post
I understood what you were talking about...:)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The weather could play a factor in the first 5 days....the forecast is cloudy with rain,which will make the conditions slower and the balls will be heavier.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Who benefits from heavy conditions? Any potential upsets that increase in probability?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I would say the heavier conditions slow things down and even the playing field. It makes it so players might have to hit one or two extra shots to hit a winner or draw the error. Even a Serena or Maria can fall victim to it as you really have to be consistent with your play as you are going to have to hit a few more shots. I would say the natural clay courters have an edge in those conditions as they are used to all types of clay conditions.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I would say the heavier conditions slow things down and even the playing field. It makes it so players might have to hit one or two extra shots to hit a winner or draw the error. Even a Serena or Maria can fall victim to it as you really have to be consistent with your play as you are going to have to hit a few more shots. I would say the natural clay courters have an edge in those conditions as they are used to all types of clay conditions.

Would you call Halep a natural clay courter....I know its her preferred surface?