2014 French Open Final: Sharapova vs. Halep

Simo or Masha?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MashaFan

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
For all the Masha fans - Sing - dance and clap your hands - Celebrate Masha the Warrior Queen's second Roland Garros title and her fifth slam!! - Four matches in which she was at the brink of defeat but she prevailed

Bpiv9noCIAAKkP5.jpg

10426760_10202013469086215_151502688560419697_n.jpg

10329072_10202013476246394_2653778982724099564_n.jpg

Bpmmi66CMAEVdE_.png:large

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Maria is a fierce competitor,she showed grit and determination in the final

Well done Maria

Nice to see you Masha Fan....your girl did you proud.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Kiu said:
Moxie629 said:
britbox said:
I'm going with Maria in straight sets.

I went with 3, but maybe Maria's done with spotting the younger girls a set, so you could be right.

Only 3 official votes for Maria in 3 sets:
askh, Moxie629, sk310

Kudos to all 3 of you.

Hey you missed moi....I voted for Maria in 3 sets

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
fashionista said:
Kiu said:
Moxie629 said:
britbox said:
I'm going with Maria in straight sets.

I went with 3, but maybe Maria's done with spotting the younger girls a set, so you could be right.

Only 3 official votes for Maria in 3 sets:
askh, Moxie629, sk310

Kudos to all 3 of you.

Hey you missed moi....I voted for Maria in 3 sets

I went by the actual votes then I see this:

fashionista said:
Key points for Simona in this final.

1.Simona must move Maria around the court,with angles.Simona has to take the ball on early.Simona cannot afford to hit short balls to Maria.Simona must keep her depth of shot on her ground strokes throughout the match.

Maria has all the experience in GS finals,I feel this is a huge edge coming into this match.

Maria in 3 sets.
If you actually don't vote, then it's unofficial!
Just kidding, I give you a pass this time, KUDOS!
But you better vote next time.
:blush:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I am confused

I did say Maria in 3 sets in my original post on page 1 of the poll

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
But didn't vote!

I was counting the votes, it's difficult to go tru 20 some pages of posts to read who voted what.
I was lucky you were on page 1

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I get you..I should have clicked on the button that said how many sets,regardless of naming the winner and how many sets in my post.

My fault....will remember that for next time...it isnt fun being old and forgetful at times:)

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I predicted Pova will win one more FO for a total of five majors. I think that is it for her. As she got better on clay, she has gotten worse on grass. On to Wimby where I will be rooting for Lisicki.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
I hope My Sherona reminds Maria to send Muguruza a

Thank You Cheque and Gift.

Congrats Maria!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I must say, she was a worthy champ, but I completely went off Sharapova this year. All her drama queen antics, pretending she can't toss the ball, the strategically placed grunts, the delaying tactics on her opponents serve, her manly roughness followed by a coquettish girly stuff afterwards, she made me root hard for Halep, most especially when she took a toilet break that lasted longer than most men take in a morning after a night on the Guinness.

Lots of you may say he reminds you in all of these of Rafa, but Rafa is a gent compared to her, in more ways than one...

my sherona

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
RJD11 said:

Congrats Maria!

Her Goatness Maria destroyed the lame muguruza in the quarters a feat Serena hopelessly cant..:)

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
my sherona said:
RJD11 said:

Congrats Maria!

Her Goatness Maria destroyed the lame muguruza in the quarters a feat Serena hopelessly cant..:)

Yes Muguruza defeated Serena ........Something Maria hopelessly can't..:)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Finally watched the women's final on DVR. Simona had her chances, especially at 2-1 in the decider when she had 2 BP's to go up 3-1. Ultimately, she didn't make Maria pay for those 12 DF's and 52 UE's.

Hopefully the sting of the loss will help Simo to understand what it takes at this level to win slams: Must stay aggressive and keep to your game plan.

Good final for Maria. She battled through the nerves and a tough opponent who wasn't giving her any rhythm. Great job on slam #5. :clap

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Finally watched the women's final on DVR. Simona had her chances, especially at 2-1 in the decider when she had 2 BP's to go up 3-1. Ultimately, she didn't make Maria pay for those 12 DF's and 52 UE's.

Hopefully the sting of the loss will help Simo to understand what it takes at this level to win slams: Must stay aggressive and keep to your game plan.

Good final for Maria. She battled through the nerves and a tough opponent who wasn't giving her any rhythm. Great job on slam #5. :clap

This was the first time I have seen Maria actively use

Gamesmanship on the court. Can't help but wonder how

big a part it played in the outcome. In recent times we

see more and more players doing it. Hope its not the new

trend in tennis. To me it cheapens the effort and puts an

asterisk on what otherwise would have been a great win.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
RJD11 said:
kskate2 said:

This was the first time I have seen Maria actively use

Gamesmanship on the court. Can't help but wonder how

big a part it played in the outcome. In recent times we

see more and more players doing it. Hope its not the new

trend in tennis. To me it cheapens the effort and puts an

asterisk on what otherwise would have been a great win.

If you're talking about all the time she took between points, she can only use what the umpire allows her to get away with. While I don't condone what she did, Nouni should have stepped in early in the first set and given her the appropriate warning/penalty as outlined in the rules.

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
hoergren said:
And a grande finale it was - well done ladies and congrats to Maria for her second FO title. The longest FO final worth every minute to watch. Simone will continue being a great player in the years to come - keep on doing a fine job. To both ladies - you're a pride for tennis:heart:

Bpivi8fCYAAkLD1.jpg

I have only one regret about this match. That you and other tennis lovers saw what you wanted to see, that's the romantic and emotional Simona. That's NOT how she became 3 in the world. She became 3 by being a shark on the tour, not a soapy crying girl.
She will be back soon to her shark mode and then "we will talk"... :) ;) (not you and me, its just an expression)
Its a process and it takes time for some people like Simona to go through this phase.

p.s. Promised myself not to be so emotional in future. I needed to go through this phase myself :rolleyes:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
my sherona said:
bump for her goatness

You should also bump up the match Serena lost, cos your girl caught a ticket that day! :clap

Si Si Simona

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
my sherona said:
bump for her goatness

You should also bump up the match Serena lost, cos your girl caught a ticket that day! :clap

Its just a temporary travesty, no worries. Now that Vika is back, and Genie, Simona and other new players get stronger, this cheat will be found out very soon. The other players will not tolerate her mind games for long and start playing with her mind soon. Its the way of the world. These were just few months of WTA weakness. It will soon be gone.