2014 French Open Final: Sharapova vs. Halep

Simo or Masha?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Here we come to the big ending, #4 seed against #7 seed.

H2H is 3-0 in favor of Maria, last played a three setter in Madrid last month on clay.

1406051141420875510_o.jpg

VERSUS
1406051107400735467_o.jpg

Who wins?

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: 201 French Open Final: Sharapova vs. Halep

Halep in three sets. This is her year to break through in a major. Masha can't win these tight three setters forever and Simona can bother her with her angles.

R

Rose

I want Simona to win :) But I'm afraid I'll be singing--"Maria the most beautiful name in the world is Maria"--now I'm even borrowing from songs!

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

We will see! The pressure will be on as Simona has been playing the better tennis of the two, but Maria has been in a slam final before. I will say Simona in three.

tented

Administrator
Reactions

I'm going with my head: Sharapova in two.

my sherona

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

Maria will scream her way in 2.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Key points for Simona in this final.

1.Simona must move Maria around the court,with angles.Simona has to take the ball on early.Simona cannot afford to hit short balls to Maria.Simona must keep her depth of shot on her ground strokes throughout the match.

Maria has all the experience in GS finals,I feel this is a huge edge coming into this match.

Maria in 3 sets.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
I wish I could say I think Simona will win but I don't really see that happening with the way Maria has been pulling through in 3 setters here.

It's kind of sad that Maria has to basically lose a match before she starts to win. It's also pretty impressive.

If Simona is going to win it I think it has to be her playing the better tennis and ending it in two. If she gets to a third Maria will kick it into a higher gear to win. If Simona wins it will have to be the kind of match Vika played in winning her first Australian against Maria. Only minor jitters then slamming on the gas till its over.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
sk310 said:
I wish I could say I think Simona will win but I don't really see that happening with the way Maria has been pulling through in 3 setters here.

It's kind of sad that Maria has to basically lose a match before she starts to win. It's also pretty impressive.

If Simona is going to win it I think it has to be her playing the better tennis and ending it in two. If she gets to a third Maria will kick it into a higher gear to win. If Simona wins it will have to be the kind of match Vika played in winning her first Australian against Maria. Only minor jitters then slamming on the gas till its over.

This has been the word on Maria all week…get her in 2, and the youngsters haven't done it. Maria has been shaky in her first sets, but is committed to the win. Halep is the strongest of all of the young guns, but the same applies: she has to win the first, and she has to take the 2nd. If Maria takes the first, I will go out for brunch and not look back, and neither will Sharapova. If they go 3, I'll give Simona a punter's chance for heart, but only a small one.

All that said: Maria knows she got a gift when Serena went out. She's not one to pass up an opportunity. I'd be shocked if she doesn't take the title. Beyond just talented, all great competitors are opportunistic.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
sk310 said:

This has been the word on Maria all week…get her in 2, and the youngsters haven't done it. Maria has been shaky in her first sets, but is committed to the win. Halep is the strongest of all of the young guns, but the same applies: she has to win the first, and she has to take the 2nd. If Maria takes the first, I will go out for brunch and not look back, and neither will Sharapova. If they go 3, I'll give Simona a punter's chance for heart, but only a small one.

All that said: Maria knows she got a gift when Serena went out. She's not one to pass up an opportunity. I'd be shocked if she doesn't take the title. Beyond just talented, all great competitors are opportunistic.

I agree with all you say. I think Maria realized that with Serena out she was given a huge gift. That being said I think being an outright frontrunner makes her nervous which is why she keeps starting off so shaky. I think she will feel more comfortable in the final, oddly enough. I think the pressure was getting there.

I don't BELIEVE Halep will be intimidated by the setting. She's really good at keeping cool. That being said, we've never even seen her close to a GS final. She has to just block out all the pressure and play like she always plays going for every ball. She's not going to hit Maria off the court but she can set up points with the best of them.

I really really hope to see Halep win. It would really be one for all the workhorses of tennis who never quite break through (Safina :( )

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Top 10 right now before the final

1 Serena Williams
2 Na Li
3 Simona Halep
4 Agnieszka Radwanska
5 Petra Kvitova
6 Maria Sharapova
7 Jelena Jankovic
8 Victoria Azarenka
9 Angelique Kerber
10 Dominika Cibulkova

Only thing that will change it is if Maria wins then she'll pass Petra Kvitova and be the new #5. Go for it girls make a grande finale:cool:

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I think Simo only wins if she comes out of the gate firing on all cylinders, and ready to take it. She cannot allow Maria to get comfortable, particularly at the start of the 2nd set.

I voted for Simona in two, but if it goes 3, Maria will definitely win her 5th Slam.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Halep's coach Wim Fissette,insists if she goes backwards on the court,she will have no chance against Sharapova.

I agree.Halep has to take the 'ball on early' in the match.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
fashionista said:
Key points for Simona in this final.

1.Simona must move Maria around the court,with angles.Simona has to take the ball on early.Simona cannot afford to hit short balls to Maria.Simona must keep her depth of shot on her ground strokes throughout the match.

Maria has all the experience in GS finals,I feel this is a huge edge coming into this match.

Maria in 3 sets.

Halep doesn't need to remember all that. She only needs to remember one thing: how it felt to lose her first final (Madrid) and receive the runner up trophy. If she remembers how that felt, she will do whatever is necessary not to duplicate that result. I actually think it hurts Maria that they played a few weeks ago. Simo knows what needs to happen out there. She has to stick to the game plan even when Maria raises her game which her previous 3 opponents did not do (which is why they lost).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Well to me they are important points in Simona's game plan,which she did employ in the first set against Maria in Madrid.Then she did go away from her game plan.
I agree she has to stick to her game plan even when Maria raises her game.
Maria is a great competitor,she has shown sheer grit and determination to get to the final.
I still feel with Maria's experience in GS finals,will give her the edge.
In saying that I would be delighted if Simona wins her first GS title at Roland Garos.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Simone Halep in 3..the fairytale rise to awesomeness will continue, maria's serve might go AWOL.

maria could win clearly but the drifting petals of victory seem to be wandering towards halep.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:
I'm going with Maria in straight sets.

I went with 3, but maybe Maria's done with spotting the younger girls a set, so you could be right.