US Politics Thread

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I've never identified the left as liberals. The Liberal Party are the centre-right here in Australia. In the UK, the Libs are a bastardisation of the term - they are basically another left wing party and nothing to do with Liberalism. I see the left becoming more facist and highly intolerant of views outside of their narrow narrative.

Yes. All these protests when people they don't like are scheduled to speak at universities is a really bad look. You have to have the intellectual confidence to hear out positions you don't like. And then you can debate and try to share opinions

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I completely agree with this guy. I've mentioned this to Democratic friends of mine. It reminds me of Militant in the UK in the 80s...

Federberg, the terms Liberal , Conservative , etc have flipped over the years countless times like the reversal of the magnetic polls...The guy in the video is correct of course, but I am not sure why he is surprised by this.
There is only two political positions in the world that has always remained the same: You are either a collectivist, or an individualist. I am the latter and have suffered because of it all my life because there is never anyone for me to vote for :)

Reactions: mrzz

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Federberg, the terms Liberal , Conservative , etc have flipped over the years countless times like the reversal of the magnetic polls...The guy in the video is correct of course, but I am not sure why he is surprised by this.
There is only two political positions in the world that has always remained the same: You are either a collectivist, or an individualist. I am the latter and have suffered because of it all my life because there is never anyone for me to vote for :)

It's a balancing act for sure. I've reconciled myself to the fact that no political movement is going to perfectly fit what I want. I just have to find the one that espouses the values and has the policies that most fit with what I want. That's all we can do. I'm more on the individualist side as well, but I've had to accept that there are compromises we have to make in order to ensure that society can continue to function

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
[...] individualist. I am the latter and have suffered because of it all my life because there is never anyone for me to vote for

Well put, as it is hard to find politicians (not to say people) who do not confuse individualism with selfishness.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You are correct of course, and the sad part is , in its intended true form, individualism is the opposite of selfishness :)

Absolutely correct. It's the mistake the left often makes. Hayek's 'Road to Serfdom' is one of the great expositions of this

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
^thanks for the reference. I haven´t read it, and I´ll check it out.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But could Spicer be the one who was leaking secrets from the white house? I have a feeling that when the moles are exposed, they could be very familiar names. To me Spicer looked like a professional person who happens to work for a crazy boss.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^I think it's well known that pretty much all of them leak in the West Wing. Now Scaramucci is accusing Priebus of leaking. If this story line had been in the tv series we would have accused them of overdramatisation!

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I heard about about the Priebus story. But why would they leak? Is it that they are frustrated with Trump, or there is some infighting?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^Infighting. Priebus (GOP Wing of the WH) never wanted Scaramucci to join the WH. Scaramucci is a Trumper, as distinct from the GOP guys. Scaramucci was finally able to do an end run around Priebus and get the appointment directly from Trump. Notice how he reports directly to the President which is unusual for a communications director. Now it seems some tax info about Scaramucci was leaked and he thinks Priebus did it. Or the darker conclusion is that he's using the leak as an excuse to get rid of Priebus. You don't need to watch GoT mate, this is the daddy right here! :lol3:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This whole thing is unravelling so fast it's hard to keep up. Priebus and Spicer gone. Those were the only two RNC staffers in the WH. The Trump WH has effectively cut off links to Congress. It'll probably take some time for us to see the effects, but mark my words it is now critical that Trump stops his attacks on Sessions. He needs a connection to the RNC even if he doesn't realise it now. I know he still has a few other RNC guys like Pompeo, but what makes Sessions special is that at least he has a specific identity in the RNC, the nationalist wing. It looks like Bannon is next, who's another nationalist type guy. You can't call yourself a Republican president without the RNC establishment i.e., Priebus and Spicer, and also without the RNC nationalist wing, Bannon and Sessions. There's nothing left. It'll effectively be a populist WH. With the lack of policy momentum already, the Trump administration is effectively over. I don't know how this thing ends, but the RNC has seriously damaged itself with gerrymandering and the preponderance of Tea Partyers in the House, they have zero chance of passing legislation because they're actually two parties. What seems clear to me is that the road to impeachment is now a lot more realistic than it was before. Chaos/populism isn't going to work in Washington. This is huge stuff!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This whole thing is unravelling so fast it's hard to keep up. Priebus and Spicer gone. Those were the only two RNC staffers in the WH. The Trump WH has effectively cut off links to Congress. It'll probably take some time for us to see the effects, but mark my words it is now critical that Trump stops his attacks on Sessions. He needs a connection to the RNC even if he doesn't realise it now. I know he still has a few other RNC guys like Pompeo, but what makes Sessions special is that at least he has a specific identity in the RNC, the nationalist wing. It looks like Bannon is next, who's another nationalist type guy. You can't call yourself a Republican president without the RNC establishment i.e., Priebus and Spicer, and also without the RNC nationalist wing, Bannon and Sessions. There's nothing left. It'll effectively be a populist WH. With the lack of policy momentum already, the Trump administration is effectively over. I don't know how this thing ends, but the RNC has seriously damaged itself with gerrymandering and the preponderance of Tea Partyers in the House, they have zero chance of passing legislation because they're actually two parties. What seems clear to me is that the road to impeachment is now a lot more realistic than it was before. Chaos/populism isn't going to work in Washington. This is huge stuff!
I don't think you can equate Sessions and Bannon, in Trump's estimation. He's love to see Sessions out, but Bannon is the guy running the craziness behind Trump. I want Trump gone almost most especially to get Bannon out. But I absolutely agree that the level of crazy is reaching 11. And the DC establishment...military, beaurocratic, politicians on both sides...I don't know how much longer they're going to take this much chaos. If the Russia investigation yields anything, I think they'll take him down. Manafort is the obvious fall-guy, but if Don, Jr/Kushner take a hit, it really unravels. And yes I think Trump will let his son and his son-in-law go down before he admits defeat. I just hope he doesn't bomb N. Korea as a distraction from the Russia probe.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think you can equate Sessions and Bannon, in Trump's estimation. He's love to see Sessions out, but Bannon is the guy running the craziness behind Trump. I want Trump gone almost most especially to get Bannon out. But I absolutely agree that the level of crazy is reaching 11. And the DC establishment...military, beaurocratic, politicians on both sides...I don't know how much longer they're going to take this much chaos. If the Russia investigation yields anything, I think they'll take him down. Manafort is the obvious fall-guy, but if Don, Jr/Kushner take a hit, it really unravels. And yes I think Trump will let his son and his son-in-law go down before he admits defeat. I just hope he doesn't bomb N. Korea as a distraction from the Russia probe.

You misunderstand. I'm not equating the two. Both of them represent the same coalition of hard right / racists though. It's not about them , it's about the people in the hinterland who support their views. I do recognise there are differences, hence my use of the word coalition. One is old America and the other is white anarchy