Sharapova fails drug test

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Chris Evert, "after I read the report, two years made sense, a lot of holes in her account".
:snicker....she has no loyalty

Evert played against tons of dopers as there was no testing at all back then.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3492495/Chris-Evert-shocked-Maria-Sharapova-positive-test-says-knew-tennis-drug-cheats-playing.html

"You'd have to have your head in the sand if you didn't at least assume that every professional sport might have some sort of performing-enhancing drugs being used"

'Honestly, in every professional sport I think this goes on to a certain extent. In tennis it doesn't worry me as much. This went on when I was playing.'

'I know players on the women's tour who were using - who were using performance-enhancing drugs and we didn't even have drug testing.'

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
“To me, her declaration forms would be huge in her innocence and intent,” Davenport wrote in an email. “As a former player who has filled out those forms many times, it clearly asks for everything that you put in your body, from Advil to vitamins to birth control to you name it. The fact that she never once wrote it down even though she tested positive multiple times in 2015 and twice in 2016 is very incriminating to me.”

If she tested positive multiple times in 2015 the reason she wasn't suspended at that time is because the drug wasn't listed as a ban substance until Jan 2016; is that correct?

I think where Davenport was going is the doping form is clear about listing every medicine and substance you are taking period, so the point is why would it be missing from her reports, so her claim of using it for medicinal purposes is fraudulent period because it wasn't illegal then, so it should have been listed.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Chris Evett and Maria Jose Fernandes loved pova like she was a family member ..

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Chris Evert, "after I read the report, two years made sense, a lot of holes in her account".
:snicker....she has no loyalty

I think Chris is fair. She waited to see what was said, and upon hearing Maria's side said your story was bull.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
special700 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
I read it completely. But, unlike you, I agree with their decision of 2 years. The thing is even though Maria was doing the unethical thing all along of taking a drug that she did not really need for any medical reasons (she took it primarily for enhancing performance), she did not realize that it was in actual violation of the WADA code (after all it was not in violation of WADA code till end of 2015). In that sense, she committed an unintentional violation. Hence, she was not given four years.

However, it is her duty and no one else's duty to realize that she was in fact committing a violation and is keeping up with the change in list of prohibited substances. So, she got the maximum possible ban that could be given for an unintentional violation. I think the judgement is fair; neither harsh nor lenient.

Leaving aside the legal side, on the morality side it is very clear that she was taking the drug with full knowledge that it is performance enhancing.
Are you kidding me she knew it was a PED she took it before each match at the AO. Give me a break. She maybe able to fool you but she's not fooling me.
Or the rest of the world either

There is no doubt that she knew it was a PED and she took it before every match. She is not fooling me. She is not fooling the tribunal either. In fact, the tribunal explicitly stated so as well

The trouble is that they need to show that her doping violation was intentional to give her anything more than two years. Unfortunately, as meldonium is a specified substance, according to the rules, the burden of proof lies on the ITF to show that her doping violation is intentional. The mere fact that she took a PED intentionally does not make her doping violation intentional. I wrote a more detailed explanation on this a few posts ago citing the WADA guidelines read that.

In the legal system, to punish it is not enough to have a well reasoned hunch that a person committed crime, you should be able to prove it. As Meldonium is a specified substance, the burden of proof fell on ITF. If it were an unspecified substance, the burden of proof would have fallen on the player.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It doesn't sound like she will be able to get it reduced if they could have proven intent it would have been a far harsher sentence, so she should take her lumps and come back if she wants when it is lifted.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Jon Wertheim from SI is reporting that the WTA powers that be are telling players not to speak negatively on the Sharapova matter. Not that it is a surprise.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
You're right, not a surprise. That's the same thing they did when she announced at her press conference. Then several days later, a few players levied their complaints (like Cibby, Murray and Halep).

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Going to be very hard to keep players quiet with Wimbledon right around the corner. I am quite curious to hear what Murray has to say as he has come out vehemently against doping and betting and the like. I know he had harsh words for her when she admitted it. I would love to hear what he has to say now.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Going to be very hard to keep players quiet with Wimbledon right around the corner. I am quite curious to hear what Murray has to say as he has come out vehemently against doping and betting and the like. I know he had harsh words for her when she admitted it. I would love to hear what he has to say now.

Both Andy Murray and Dominatrix are sponsored by the same company viz. Head. Andy was already critical of Head when they not just supported Maria, but actively pleaded her case in the days after she had the press conference.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Some of the confusion is arising because people do not understand as to what is meant by intentional doping violation.

Maria did not claim that she opened her mouth and Meldonium tablets fell from the sky and then it immediately it started raining pushing it into her mouth. She did not claim that someone spiked her drink with Meldonium in powedered form and thus she accidentally ingested. She has admitted taking the drug intentionally. In fact, she has admitted popping one before each match at AO.

The trouble is taking the drug intentionally is not the same as intentionally violating doping laws. She claims that she is not aware that Meldonium has been banned, which is possible. Assuming her claim is true, she is not guilty of intentionally violating doping laws.

Now, you may say is not she responsible for knowing that it has been banned. Yes, she is responsible for knowing that. That is why she is being given a ban of two years. She is not allowed to go scot-free due to her not knowing that it is not banned.

Two important issues are who has the burden of proof and what is the standard of proof employed here. If the substance is a "specified substance", it is the burder of ITF to establish that the player violated doping laws intentionally. If the substance is not a "specified substance", it is the burden of the player to establish that they violated the doping laws unintentionally. Meldonium is a specified substance and so the burden of proof fell on ITF to establish that she violated the doping laws intentionally. Now, you can understand that it will be hard to do so.

Finally, there is an asymmetry in the standard of proof employed also. Whenever, ITF has to prove something, the standard employed is "clear and convincing evidence" (this falls in between "mere preponderance of evidence" and "beyond reasonable doubt" standards). On the other hand, whenever the player has to prove something the standard employed is "mere preponderance of evidence" (this means it is more likely that whatever player is saying happened as opposed to the other possibility).

So, not only that the burden of proof to establish that Maria violated the doping regulations intentionally fell on ITF, they were expected to establish that in a clear and convincing manner. That I suppose would be very difficult here.

Actually, while we all justifiably think Maria is a cheater (as she was popping pills for performance enchancement for about 10 years), we must admit the possibility that she might not have continued to pop these pills if she knew it were against doping laws (perhaps not because she cares about being legal as a virtue, at least because she would be concerned about the consequences).

Hope that explains the issues involved.

So, I think the decision of the tribunal was fair.

p.s. Some of this post is wrong. See next post.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Oops, I AM WRONG IN THE ABOVE POST and several others. Meldonium is a non-specified substance and so the burden of proof falls on Maria to demonstrate that she did not violate the doping laws intentionally. The standard is preponderance of evidence (this part is correct).

See sections 64 to 71 of the report. Basically, the tribunal accepted that Maria did not know that Meldonium was banned and so her doping violation is not intentional.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
apparently she tested positive at Wimbledon...no wonder she didnt play the USA Open series or the Open...she was running scared.At YEC she tested positive again....wow

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
remember how Richard Branson was buddy buddy with pova during Wimbledon04 and was saying he is for change of guard in women tennis,alluding to the idea that the fans were tired of the sisters...he must be redfaced right now.
Larry Scott must embarrassed that he created a monster...blinded by the peroxide.

Nah, those clowns are more of Maria's enablers not EVER gonna be totally against her, Maria is and always will be their cash cow( no pun intended against this cheating heifer)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Maria Sharapova: The rise and fall of the world's richest sportswoman, from champion to cheat

mcwAgn_DmGS-5ry6aBNsDTl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9

The evidence against Maria Sharapova is damning, but tennis has arguably suffered as much reputational damage as a Russian player who is facing an ignominious end to her golden career, writes Desmond Kane.

Full Article: http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/mar...from-champion-to-cheat_sto5640100/story.shtml

Reactions: Tennis Fan

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
2 years, like Canas....and he came back and beat Mr Vavrinec twice !!! so Maria"ll come back after her ban

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
apparently she tested positive at Wimbledon...no wonder she didnt play the USA Open series or the Open...she was running scared.At YEC she tested positive again....wow

Those two were in 2015, when it was legal.