Random phobias, foods you despise, etc.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think this is different from the lovely Hate Thread. Talking of Rafa and his weird fears, then @britbox put up that awful spider, when I admitted to my fear of them. I wonder if anyone else is willing to cop to their own fears and loathings. As I said, I really hate spiders. I can't walk on city grates. And I hate eggs.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And I'm pretty sure I couldn't do this:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've got a semi fear of heights... in that sometimes I have and sometimes I haven't. Hard to explain and it can be a totally different experience visiting the same place - sometimes they bother me and other times I'm totally fine.

What I do hate are those staircases that aren't closed between the step. Particularly outside (and at height). I used to be a big ride fanatic at theme parks once upon a time - but used to get way more nervous climbing up the steps (a lot of these are outdoors and at great height) than going on the ride itself.

OPENRISER1.jpg

Don't really have any fear of animals - although there are three or four breeds of dog I really don't like - Bull Terrier (every dog I've owned has been attacked by one), German Shepherds and Rottweillers (never feel I can trust them and they are powerhouses v humans). Don't care for bats much either but no fear of them.

Reactions: Moxie

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I'm triskaidecophobic though I'm starting to get over this. I used to be arachnophobic but I got over it. I'm afraid of snakes & thunder.

Foods I despise:
Onions
Shallots
Leeks
Garlic
Celery
Parsnip
Turnip
Swede
Aubergines
Courgettes
Lettuce
Red cabbage
Cucumber
Beetroot
Curry
Chilli
Peppers
Watermelon
Pomegranate
Lemon
Lime
Grapefruit
Rhubarb
Liquorice
Dark chocolate

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm triskaidecophobic though I'm starting to get over this. I used to be arachnophobic but I got over it. I'm afraid of snakes & thunder.

Foods I despise:
Onions
Shallots
Leeks
Garlic
Celery
Parsnip
Turnip
Swede
Aubergines
Courgettes
Lettuce
Red cabbage
Cucumber
Beetroot
Curry
Chilli
Peppers
Watermelon
Pomegranate
Lemon
Lime
Grapefruit
Rhubarb
Liquorice
Dark chocolate
That is a long list of foods that you don't eat! What's left...roast beef and vanilla ice cream? ;) Are these things you don't like, or that seriously, if there were no food left in the world, except those, you'd starve to death? Because for me, I can eat a lot of things. I don't care for carrots or celery, but I eat them. However, if it were an egg salad sandwich between me and death, I think I'd have to go with death.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I've got a semi fear of heights... in that sometimes I have and sometimes I haven't. Hard to explain and it can be a totally different experience visiting the same place - sometimes they bother me and other times I'm totally fine.

What I do hate are those staircases that aren't closed between the step. Particularly outside (and at height). I used to be a big ride fanatic at theme parks once upon a time - but used to get way more nervous climbing up the steps (a lot of these are outdoors and at great height) than going on the ride itself.

OPENRISER1.jpg

Don't really have any fear of animals - although there are three or four breeds of dog I really don't like - Bull Terrier (every dog I've owned has been attacked by one), German Shepherds and Rottweillers (never feel I can trust them and they are powerhouses v humans). Don't care for bats much either but no fear of them.

I don't have this one, but I get it. The video I posted above is not about fear of heights, which I don't have, but it's the fear of looking down below my feet at a chasm, if that makes any sense. Or, perhaps no phobias make sense. I got a bat caught in my hair when I was a kid, but I still like bats. There is no telling what puts us off something, or doesn't.

Horsa

Reactions
That is a long list of foods that you don't eat! What's left...roast beef and vanilla ice cream? ;) Are these things you don't like, or that seriously, if there were no food left in the world, except those, you'd starve to death? Because for me, I can eat a lot of things. I don't care for carrots or celery, but I eat them. However, if it were an egg salad sandwich between me and death, I think I'd have to go with death.
I eat all other fruits & vegetables except those, blackberries, blueberries & avocadoes (which I'm allergic to) & I eat meat, fish, seafood, potatoes, pasta, rice, nuts, eggs & chocolate. I prefer strawberry ice-cream though. I love strawberries though my favourite fruit is coconut. ;0) I'm going to break the rule & answer your closed question with an answer other than those given & say a bit of both. Those foods make me feel physically sick. I love carrots. They're not my favourite vegetable but I still love them. My favourite vegetable is cauliflower. I love broccoli too.

Last edited:

Horsa

Reactions
The culture that I come from, we eat everything. There is only one thing in this world that I will not eat because it creates a reaction in me that is so much stronger than disgust or hate, and that is cilantro.
I guess you like mangetout then in more ways than 1. Lol.

Reactions: Murat Baslamisli

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I am afraid of NOTHING! No phobias! No fears! The universe should be afraid of ME!

I can eat everything! I can digest everything! But I spit it right back on the dish I eat! That when I have a dish, because what I like is to eat with my bare dirty hands!

I am not afraid of the dark! Not afraid of strangers! Not afraid of fear! Not afraid of supernovas, giant spiders falling like rain from the sky! Not afraid of living hateful volcanos, mutant moons that spit witches through their burning craters! Not afraid of giant translucent cockroaches, not afraid of little tiny worms that jump in your nose to devour your brain!

(sound of steps and a door opens)

-- No honey, I am just finishing, it is just a small post, no, no, not that tennis forum, no, it is a work related forum, no, you do not need to come and s...

(static on the video)

Horsa

Reactions
I am afraid of NOTHING! No phobias! No fears! The universe should be afraid of ME!

I can eat everything! I can digest everything! But I spit it right back on the dish I eat! That when I have a dish, because what I like is to eat with my bare dirty hands!

I am not afraid of the dark! Not afraid of strangers! Not afraid of fear! Not afraid of supernovas, giant spiders falling like rain from the sky! Not afraid of living hateful volcanos, mutant moons that spit witches through their burning craters! Not afraid of giant translucent cockroaches, not afraid of little tiny worms that jump in your nose to devour your brain!

-- No honey, I am just finishing, it is just a small post, no, no, not that tennis forum, no, it is a work related forum, no, you do not need to come and s...

(static on the video)
Haha!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The culture that I come from, we eat everything. There is only one thing in this world that I will not eat because it creates a reaction in me that is so much stronger than disgust or hate, and that is cilantro.
Oh, you're one of those. Apparently it's an inherited trait...tastes like soap to you? I know people that have it. Personally, I love cilantro. It tastes like there's a margarita in my near future. I don't like eggs because of the sulfur smell. Being so nearly divine myself, I'm sensitive to that whiff of Satan, I guess. :D But I'll eat or at least try basically everything. I liked crickets when I ate them in Mexico.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't have this one, but I get it. The video I posted above is not about fear of heights, which I don't have, but it's the fear of looking down below my feet at a chasm, if that makes any sense. Or, perhaps no phobias make sense. I got a bat caught in my hair when I was a kid, but I still like bats. There is no telling what puts us off something, or doesn't.

I get the chasm one - this makes me sweat just looking at it:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I get the chasm one - this makes me sweat just looking at it:

OMG, why would anyone even do that? I never get the "because it's there" about big mountains. Did you ever see "Touching the Void," about a British mountaineer who fell into a crevasse in Peru? I was only able to get through that film because you see the guy interviewed and know that he made it. It's a white-knuckle watch, even still. Amazing story.

I didn't start this thread because I'm afraid of things. I'm actually very brave, I think, and adventurous in food and otherwise life. But there are things that give us all, (or all except @mrzz, apparently,) that pit in the stomach. I used to be claustrophobic. I was stuck in a burning building for a period of time before I was able to break into a room, get to a window and jump out. (Dramatic, I know. Sorry.) It left me with a mild, but worsening claustrophobia. Funnily enough, I was saved by a Ron Howard film, of all things. No one would go to see "Backdraft" with me, knowing my history, so one day I rented it and watched it alone. It absolutely terrified me. By the end, I was a weeping mess. But afterwards, no more claustrophobia. Which doesn't make me want to go scrabbling over a crevasse on some very wonky looking ladder, though.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

(static on the video)

Looks like you only fear your wife! :yahoo:

Horsa

Reactions
Oh, you're one of those. Apparently it's an inherited trait...tastes like soap to you? I know people that have it. Personally, I love cilantro. It tastes like there's a margarita in my near future. I don't like eggs because of the sulfur smell. Being so nearly divine myself, I'm sensitive to that whiff of Satan, I guess. :D But I'll eat or at least try basically everything. I liked crickets when I ate them in Mexico.
I only like hard eggs if they're pickled but love all other eggs especially scrambled & love an omelette. I don't like what to me are strong tasting foods (except vinegar of course) but they aren't always strong tasting to others. I didn't understand why until I read something once about some people having taste buds that are much more sensitive than the average persons so some foods that taste slightly strong really put them off & make them feel physically sick. I automatically identified with that. Saying that, I'm not keen on sprouts but will eat them. I wouldn't fancy the idea of eating crickets.

Horsa

Reactions
OMG, why would anyone even do that? I never get the "because it's there" about big mountains. Did you ever see "Touching the Void," about a British mountaineer who fell into a crevasse in Peru? I was only able to get through that film because you see the guy interviewed and know that he made it. It's a white-knuckle watch, even still. Amazing story.

I didn't start this thread because I'm afraid of things. I'm actually very brave, I think, and adventurous in food and otherwise life. But there are things that give us all, (or all except @mrzz, apparently,) that pit in the stomach. I used to be claustrophobic. I was stuck in a burning building for a period of time before I was able to break into a room, get to a window and jump out. (Dramatic, I know. Sorry.) It left me with a mild, but worsening claustrophobia. Funnily enough, I was saved by a Ron Howard film, of all things. No one would go to see "Backdraft" with me, knowing my history, so one day I rented it and watched it alone. It absolutely terrified me. By the end, I was a weeping mess. But afterwards, no more claustrophobia. Which doesn't make me want to go scrabbling over a crevasse on some very wonky looking ladder, though.
Mrzz knows that phobias are irrational fears of something so I think that he doesn't want people to know he can have irrational fears so uses his brilliant story-telling method to keep us entertained. In fact I forgot to mention my fear of failure. The fact that these fears are irrational is what makes us capable of overcoming them. I know I've got 2 of the most irrational fears here, 1 of which I'm trying to overcome. Those are triskaidecophobia & the fear of thunder after all 13 is just a number & it's the lightning that does the damage. My triskaidecophobia was caused by everything going wrong on the 13th. I've had some good days on the 13th & that's how I'm getting over my triskaidecophobia. Why I'm frightened of thunder is the noise as I've got very sensitive hearing & the fact lightning accompanies it. I'm normally reading, sewing, painting or knitting so don't notice the lightning so when I hear thunder I'm hoping that I'll be safe & lightning won't strike. I got over my arachnophobia by reading books on spiders & realising that where I come from the only venomous spider was the black widow & I know how to identify 1 so don't have to be afraid every time I see a spider. I guess I could do the same with snakes as the only venomous snakes indigenous to the U.K. are adders but I'd have to look closer because in some ways they look similar to grass snakes which are harmless. Mind you, saying that some people have brought foreign snakes into our country. Apparently they've had the venom removed but I wouldn't like to take a chance.

Horsa

Reactions
I'm starting to get over my fear of snakes. I used to squirm if I saw a snake in a book or on a T.V. programme but the last few days I've been watching the trials of life box set of D.V.D's by David Attenborough & have managed to watch 4 snakes so far without squirming. I get the next stage is to go to a pet shop which sells pets & not 1 that just sells pet care items & go & look at their snakes but don't know whether I can do that yet.

You may ask why I'm saying this here. The answer is I thought that if people discussed their phobias, it might be a good idea to discuss how to overcome them. According to some books I read sometimes & information I've come across graded exposure is the method of doing this.

Horsa

Reactions
I've got a fear of disapproval & criticism although I know that no one is liked by everyone & no one can be right all the time. We're human. Humans make mistakes & learn from them. We learn from constructive criticism. I guess I've had that much non-constructive criticism in the past that I can find taking constructive criticism on board. My last P.C. teacher knew this & that I could handle typed & written criticism better than verbal so she used to either put criticism on my I.L.P., emailed me with it or sent me a private message on our class v.l.e.

CandyGirl

Reactions
I have 2 fears, the first one is lifts, i am terrified of them, i always take the stairs instead, especially at work, the lifts look so much bigger and frightening!
My second fear is fog, i hate being outside in it and was once caught in a really dense fog while driving, i ended up taking refuge at a service station until it lifted.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Odds and Ends 4