Nadalites – Rafa Nadal Talk

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa skipped the Australian Open and hasn't fully committed to the French Open. The fact that he has committed to the Laver Cup before any of the slams tells me that the slams aren't really his top priority anymore. If anything, Rafa has won everything he needs to at the slams. He only has one singles gold at the Olympics. He can add more to his legacy by winning a 2nd singles gold, which would make him the first to complete the double career golden slam.
I think you take a set of facts and draw the wrong conclusion. As Shawn says above, he may or may not play Laver Cup. IMO, it just means his old buddy, Roger, runs that tournament, and likely asked him to commit. I don't see how you could imagine that Rafa no longer prioritizes the Majors. It's just that, on the men's side, they're pretty grueling. He won't play if he doesn't think he's competitive. I just don't agree that an 2nd Gold Medal does enough to say so for his legacy.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think you take a set of facts and draw the wrong conclusion. As Shawn says above, he may or may not play Laver Cup. IMO, it just means his old buddy, Roger, runs that tournament, and likely asked him to commit. I don't see how you could imagine that Rafa no longer prioritizes the Majors. It's just that, on the men's side, they're pretty grueling. He won't play if he doesn't think he's competitive. I just don't agree that an 2nd Gold Medal does enough to say so for his legacy.
When Rafa agreed to play at the Laver Cup this year, he said body permitted, yes he probably did it as a favor for Roger
I personally think Rafa has the right to play whatever tournaments he wishes, as this will be his last year, so I dont think we as fans can expect him to play tournaments we feel he should play 'period' this BS about Rafa no long longer prioritizes Majors is just BS, quite frankly we are lucky he is still attempting to play this year at all. For heavens sake his Body Has Told Him Enough!. Personally speaking I have never counted Olympics that special, at the end of the day tennis historians will first look at how many Grand Slams titles a player has won,,, Olympic Gold is just a bonus, so this is crap about a 2nd Gold medal for his legacy ? I mean Rafa has already won Gold in Singles and Doubles?. The draw for Rome has just come out I will post it below it is tough.
BTW Rafa's practice partner for today is the Dangerous One aka Cerundolo
Rafa's practice partner for tomorrow is The Greek God

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa's projected draw for Rome, the draw took place at one of the most 'iconic' places to go in Rome at the Trevi Fountain!
Rafa could start his 1st rd match, according to the draw on Thursday

R1 Q
R2 Hurkacz
R3 Etcheverry/Seyboth Wild
R4 Baez/Rune
QF Paul/Medvedev
SF Tsistipas/Rublev
F. Djokovic/Ruud/Dimitrov/Rublev

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa's projected draw for Rome, the draw took place at one of the most 'iconic' places to go in Rome at the Trevi Fountain!
Rafa could start his 1st rd match, according to the draw on Thursday

R1 Q
R2 Hurkacz
R3 Etcheverry/Seyboth Wild
R4 Baez/Rune
QF Paul/Medvedev
SF Tsistipas/Rublev
F. Djokovic/Ruud/Dimitrov/Rublev
Late at night but a quick glance and I was like who the hell is Paul Medvedev? Haha. Uncle Billy Bob Medvedev. Anyway, drugs are baaaaad, kids. Mmmkay? :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The qualifers have been placed in the draw,
Rafa first round opponent is Zizou Bergs, Rafa will play on Thursday

Last edited: