Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, 2024 - WTA 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I really think Saba is abusing the hinderance rule.. everytime Elena is about to make a stroke,, she has to deal with the screams of nothing
Well I also feel Elena's coach needs warning he keeps illegally coaching her, when she isnt up at his side, just like Stef's father

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Saba leading 5-1 in the TB if she loses this I will come down and hit her over the head with my racket

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Come on Saba put me out of my misery and end this match leading 6-3 TB

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Of course Saba is choking away the TB and the match you are doing my head in Big Time

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Girl, you couldn't have thought Saba would let go of that once Elena collapsed.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sabalenka d Rybakina 16 75 76(5) Saba really raised her level, Elena's level dropped. Saba in the end deserved to win the match, remember it is not how you start a match, it is how you end it :)
We will have a rematch of the 2023 final with Saba v Iga
Saba keeps her points and her No 2 ranking
Elena will ponder why she collapsed and lost the match? Elena has big points to defend in Rome next as the defending champion

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Sabalenka d Rybakina 16 75 76(5) Saba really raised her level, Elena's level dropped. Saba in the end deserved to win the match, remember it is not how you start a match, it is how you end it :)
We will have a rematch of the 2023 final with Saba v Iga
Saba keeps her points and her No 2 ranking
Elena will ponder why she collapsed and lost the match? Elena has big points to defend in Rome next as the defending champion
The better player deserves to win . What a great run down by Saba..very similar to the AO final..this is something that Elena will have to work on because we all thought THIS would have been a straight set victory.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The better player deserves to win . What a great run down by Saba..very similar to the AO final..this is something that Elena will have to work on because we all thought THIS would have been a straight set victory.
Especially the way Elena played in the 1st set, credit to Saba, she got back her focus, watched her margins and started fighting back
As I have said many times "Rinse and Repeat'
Saba has the game on all surfaces to defeat any Top 10 player, she just has to keep her focus,and watch her margins

Reactions: the AntiPusher

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Order of Play for Friday, May 3, 2024

1714700730622.png

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Especially the way Elena played in the 1st set, credit to Saba, she got back her focus, watched her margins and started fighting back
As I have said many times "Rinse and Repeat'
Saba has the game on all surfaces to defeat any Top 10 player, she just has to keep her focus,and watch her margins
Saba is definitely must see TV

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ladies Singles Final, ( a rematch of the 2023 final between Swiatek and Sabalenka, Sabalenka winning in 3 sets 63 36 63)

Iga Swiatek (1) vs Aryna Sabalenka (2) H2H Swaitek 6-3

Iga Swiatek might lead H2H over Aryna Sabalenka 6-3 though to date at the Madrid WTA1000 Sabalenka leads 1-0
Madrid is the one WTA1000 tournament that to date Swiatek is yet to win? can 2024 be the year she wins the tournament and places the trophy in her trophy cabinet.
This court favors flat hitters and big servers, so one would think it is on Sabalenka's racket? yes in many ways it is.
Iga does struggle on fast clay surfaces indoors and out doors, when she gets rushed and cannot adjust her feet quick enough and when she is attacked fast, hard and flat, on her fhand wing she becomes unstuck, normally on a slower clay surface she has time on her shots and her strong high spin fhand shines, eg RG.
We all thought Sabalenka was going out in straight sets to Rybakina in straight sets in their semi final, Rybakina did the 'unforgettable' which does happen to tennis players she 'choked' trying to serve out the match, and to Sabalenka's credit she found her focus, game in the 2nd set and roared back to win in 3 sets.It was only in the 3rd set, that Elena and Aryna both played good tennis at the same time which went to a TB.
Swiatek has lost only one set across her 5 wins in Madrid, that was to Haddad Maia 46 6-62 and in her semi final where she played Madison Keys had a comfortable straight sets win
Sabalenks is looking to join Rybakina as the only players to have beaten Swiatek twice on clay?
Can Sabalenka do it? tune into the final and find out!
BTW just retired Garbine Muguruza will be handing out the champions trophy!

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Yeah, I saw Mugu on the TTC desk. Her face is fuller since retirement. I wonder if she and the new hubby are planning to have a kid soon

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I saw Mugu on the TTC desk. Her face is fuller since retirement. I wonder if she and the new hubby are planning to have a kid soon
Garbine has certainly had the 'good life' over the past year, she and her partner are sitting near Feli in the stand.

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Great pass from Iga, though to be fair Saba was winning the point until the end
Lets see if Iga can serve out the 1st set, 6-5

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Garbine has certainly had the 'good life' over the past year, she and her partner are sitting near Feli in the stand.
Feli looks like he is so bored..I wonder if he is still playing doubles. I would think he could play competitively for another few years .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tight 1st set from both players, Iga wins 7-5, must say her returns and bhand have been solid in the 1st set, both players have gone for a toilet break
Iga is a good front runner, can Saba, defending champion, come back and win in 3 sets