World Affairs Discussion - Welcome

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This zone is for fans to discuss world affairs - news, events, politics, geopolitics etc.

Strong opinions are encouraged.  If you don't like what you read... then don't read.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Ok. Here's my contribution!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/germaine-greer-defends-grossly-offensive-comments-about-transgender-women-just-because-you-lop-off-a6709061.html

I simply cannot believe the grief that Germaine Greer is getting for coming out with a statement that seems pretty factual to me. Has the world gotten so twisted that a feminist pointing out that a transgender woman is not a real woman has become offensive. Perhaps it's just me, perhaps I'm a dinosaur, but I will state categorically as a heterosexual man, that if I started a relationship with a woman and discovered that she used to be a man I would be devastated. Does that make me a bad person? Will I be vilified for this? There's PC and then there's just plain stupid and this is not the former! :wacko:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't care for Germaine Greer much... she's made a career out of talking crap... but in this case, I'd agree with her.  The political correctness in the UK is ridiculous.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
yes I agree, I'm not a huge fan, although I do respect her intelligence which is immense. But ffs.. I will refuse to call Caitlyn Jenner a woman until my dying day. I would be happy to say "transgender woman", but that's as far as it goes.

By the way I love her cocker spaniel comment!  :yes:

"Just because you lop off your d**k and then wear a dress doesn't make you a ******* woman. I’ve asked my doctor to give me long ears and liver spots and I’m going to wear a brown coat but that won’t turn me into a ******* cocker spaniel."

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lol.  Pretty funny retort from her.

I never warmed to her though - thought she was one of those people who made a living from just talking "intellectual" gibberish most of the time.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bruce Jenner was a hero to us here in the States--now he has degenerated into a person whose mental illness has completely overtaken him.  One is what one is--we don't make reality; we are part of it.  Too many are of the wrong-headed idea that man is the summit of everything and we can and should make our own reality--that is dangerous stuff that leads to the Boys from Brazil, genocide, transgenderization as an alternative to one's mental woes and on and on.  It never happens in one fell swoop, but step by step, little by little and you are left with what we have in the USA now.  Once all of this is PC, it becomes wrong to challenge it or to fail to indoctrinate your kids into it--cue the All in the Family opening tune with Edith and Archie at the spinet.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree! I'm appalled at the very idea that we are now going to bullied to accept a trans woman as a woman. What happens if you go out on a date with what you think is a woman, and then you somehow find out that it's a trans woman. Do they really expect a man to just be ok with this? I know I wouldn't be. I'm sorry that a bloke has decided to chop his bits off because he feels like a woman. I honestly sympathise with that, but I don't see why I should be expected to be ok with dating a trans woman. Obviously talking about hypotheticals here, but the point is valid

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
9338 said:
Bruce Jenner was a hero to us here in the States–now he has degenerated into a person whose mental illness has completely overtaken him. One is what one is–we don’t make reality; we are part of it. Too many are of the wrong-headed idea that man is the summit of everything and we can and should make our own reality–that is dangerous stuff that leads to the Boys from Brazil, genocide, transgenderization as an alternative to one’s mental woes and on and on. It never happens in one fell swoop, but step by step, little by little and you are left with what we have in the USA now. Once all of this is PC, it becomes wrong to challenge it or to fail to indoctrinate your kids into it–cue the All in the Family opening tune with Edith and Archie at the spinet.

Indoctrination definitely happens step by step... once upon a time, tolerance was an acceptable mindset.  Now it seems that even that's not enough... we're supposed to celebrate...

Modern western society... Once upon a time bravery would have been a byword accorded to those taking out a machine gun nest, rescuing somebody from a burning building, putting ones life at risk rescuing a drowning child... now it's a label of convenience for somebody on Oprah talking about a gender change.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
9339 said:
I agree! I’m appalled at the very idea that we are now going to bullied to accept a trans woman as a woman. What happens if you go out on a date with what you think is a woman, and then you somehow find out that it’s a trans woman. Do they really expect a man to just be ok with this? I know I wouldn’t be. I’m sorry that a bloke has decided to chop his bits off because he feels like a woman. I honestly sympathise with that, but I don’t see why I should be expected to be ok with dating a trans woman. Obviously talking about hypotheticals here, but the point is valid

@Federberg Check out the size of the hands and the adams apple :)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
hahaha! Trust me I know! I went to Thailand on holiday years ago, and I had to stop a mate of mine from making a life changing error. I have an in built paranoia about stuff like that. But you know what I mean though. Just coz society says a trans woman is a woman, isn't going to mean squat to a straight guy. They'll still think of trans woman as NOT a woman. When society starts trying to re-programme genetic predispositions on people it's going too far

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
9343 said:
| MOVE | SPLIT | TRASH | SPAM | REPLY | THANKS | QUOTE AND REPLY

Yeah, I get you on Thailand. Not like they have big grocks wandering around in dresses...

Hey, did you ever see the movie the "Crying Game"?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Great movie!

When ever I hear about this whole trans gender issue what springs to mind is Norman Mailer novel. It might have been Harlot's Ghost. Have you read it? Epic spy novel

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
9351 said:
Great movie! When ever I hear about this whole trans gender issue what springs to mind is Norman Mailer novel. It might have been Harlot’s Ghost. Have you read it? Epic spy novel

No, I haven't mate. But I like novels of that genre, so will check it out.  One of the best books I ever read was "Day of the Jackal" - not really a spy novel,  more of a "hitman" novel but great all the same.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes that's a great book. I love spy/ assassin books. If you're into that there are a number that I can recommend.

Particularly the John Rain novels by Barry Eisler and the 'Victor the Assassin' novels by Tom Wood. I warn you.. once you start the first Tom Wood one in particular you might not be able to put it down!

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Day of the Jackal by Fredrick Forsyth is a book I distinctly recall reading some thirty years ago.  I'd heard it was excellent and I read it in one day with breaks to eat.  One of the best novels I have ever read.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
9560 said:
The Day of the Jackal by Fredrick Forsyth is a book I distinctly recall reading some thirty years ago. I’d heard it was excellent and I read it in one day with breaks to eat. One of the best novels I have ever read.
Ditto, although it took me 2 days. Forsyth has written a few good ones but that's the best.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Canada, really???  What a shame...everybody should be against the glorification of Nazism..https://www.rt.com/news/322962-un-resolution-vote-nazism/