Wimbledon to do away with all-white kits?

Should Wimby do away with the all-white dress code?

• Yes, let players choose what color to wear

• No, I like the all-white tradition

• Hmm, let's meet in the middle. They can wear colored underpants but white dress

• I'm on the fence. I can see both sides but I'm not able to render an opinion

• I don't care enough about this to vote or have an opinion

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I can't believe it has taken this long for a public discussion about how stressful an all-white dress code is for women, in particular, and finally a mention of the issue of menstruating. Interesting that it was originally instituted to prevent showing sweat stains, an idea that is as Victorian as they come. I get that now Wimbledon likes it for distinguishing itself by tradition from the other Majors, but is it worth the stress it puts on young women? I think no.

I was going to do a poll, but it seems not to be an option right now.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I can't believe it has taken this long for a public discussion about how stressful an all-white dress code is for women, in particular, and finally a mention of the issue of menstruating. Interesting that it was originally instituted to prevent showing sweat stains, an idea that is as Victorian as they come. I get that now Wimbledon likes it for distinguishing itself by tradition from the other Majors, but is it worth the stress it puts on young women? I think no.

I was going to do a poll, but it seems not to be an option right now.

No, I think woman can manage when they menstruate, playing sport or any other physical activity to use the appropriate tampons or pads that are available, I have never had a problem, today there is more choice.The other solution would be to wear say a darker pant underneath the white dress or skirt if there was a real issue.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It was never a talking point because women players didn’t bring it up with any great conviction. Been watching the game almost 45 years and now it’s an issue. Good that it is! Let them choose the colour for their underwear. But leave the rest of the dress white…

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
@Moxie Polling works. I added one here. Let me know if you want to change the responses

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It was never a talking point because women players didn’t bring it up with any great conviction. Been watching the game almost 45 years and now it’s an issue. Good that it is! Let them choose the colour for their underwear. But leave the rest of the dress white…
I do agree that it's good it has come up, especially as some feel it's an added stress for the women. I'd go with the general opinion that allowing a dark pant under the dress would be a fair compromise. As I work in commercials a lot, I have been involved with selling feminine hygiene products, and the classic trope is showing the hero woman using the product wearing white, implying confidence in their product. I think that tells you what you need to know about white not being a confidence-inspiring option for women when they are having their periods. I know this isn't the most comfortable topic for some, (I don't mean you, and thanks for addressing it,) but I appreciate the forum being willing to discuss it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thank goodness 'common sense prevailed',
Confirmation from Wimbledon that women and girls competing at the Championships will be 'allowed to wear mid/dark-coloured undershorts if they choose to"...

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Thank goodness 'common sense prevailed',
Confirmation from Wimbledon that women and girls competing at the Championships will be 'allowed to wear mid/dark-coloured undershorts if they choose to"...
Yeah that seems sensible. I would keep the rest of it all-white…

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer