Why did Tracy Austin lie

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
One of the commentators asked her if Serena ever have on-court coaching and her answer was "rearly" that is a blant lie Serena never have on-court coaching. As a matter of fact, she said she hates it and when she's on court it's all about her and no one else she has to figure out things for herself. In the first set when her opponent called her coach out the commentator had the nerve to say "maybe Serena should call her coach out to get some advice". And that's when he asked Tracy the question. I wish people would be honest when it comes to Serena and her high tennis IQ they just would not give her credit.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Her answer was "rearly?"

Sounds like a loud of arse to me...

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Actually Special, she has had on court coaching before. Back in 2007 at this very tournament, Venus was appointed as her coach during the early rounds. Then Richard came out during one of the later rounds (against Vaidisova I believe) and Serena could be heard saying her knee was hurting. Richard proceeded to tell her to look out for Vaidisova's DTL shots because she was killing Serena with it.

The next day Serena admitted her knee was bothering her because she forgot to take her anti-inflammatory pills before the match.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think for a couple tournaments early on when it was allowed she did, but I think she realized quickly it is pretty useless.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I think for a couple tournaments early on when it was allowed she did, but I think she realized how quickly it is pretty useless.

That's true too Sunday. Because it's not permitted in the slams, players really should learn to live w/o it. I think I've seen Serena write alot of notes to herself that she reads during the changeovers. Not many players are even doing that.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Oh yea I did remember that one time when Venus came down, but that was ages ago. I think in the interview after she did say "well if she can call her coach out I might as well call mine too." Something like that. Oh yea and I wish they would stop that crap with that on-court coaching it is so embarrassing.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
special700 said:
Oh yea I did remember that one time when Venus came down, but that was ages ago. I think in the interview after she did say "well if she can call her coach out I might as well call mine too." Something like that. Oh yea and I wish they would stop that crap with that on-court coaching it is so embarrassing.

But u stated Austin blatantly lied, when in fact she didn't.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Calvy said:
special700 said:

Exactly. I think a retraction is in order, though I don't think people do that any more, when they're wrong... :nono

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions
I would love to see them get rid of on court coaching. I would love to see the players who rely on it, like Sharapova, try to figure out what to do. To see if they can figure out what to do. Although I rather enjoy watching when they play someone like Serena after a coaching session and it changes nothing.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Calvy said:
special700 said:

'

Yes she did. Please tell me when you've seen Serena call a coach out to tell her what to do. When she said rarely she makes it sound as though Serena calls her coach out and she does not she figures things out for herself out there.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
special700 said:
Calvy said:
special700 said:

'

Yes she did. Please tell me when you've seen Serena call a coach out to tell her what to do. When she said rarely she makes it sound as though Serena calls her coach out and she does not she figures things out for herself out there.
You acknowledged Serena called out her sister and her father previously.

Those two times make what Tracy stated, "she rarely does," a fact.

You called the woman a liar when she didn't lie.

House

Futures Player
Reactions
This thread is "rearly" accurate.

I also tend to make sure people are actually "lying" before calling them liars. But that's just me.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
House said:
I also tend to make sure people are actually "lying" before calling them liars. But that's just me.

You're a gent, House. Perhaps that notion will rub off. This thread really should never have been a thread, IMO. To call a commentator out for "lying" rather than asking if they'd made a mistake seems a "tad" paranoid. Especially when, in the end, she wasn't even inaccurate. It would have been easy enough to ask the question on the main Miami thread. As opposed to now, where we have one calling out Austin as a liar in the subject line which I find, frankly, embarrassing. Can we try better next time? :please:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
House said:

You're a gent, House. Perhaps that notion will rub off. This thread really should never have been a thread, IMO. To call a commentator out for "lying" rather than asking if they'd made a mistake seems a "tad" paranoid. Especially when, in the end, she wasn't even inaccurate. It would have been easy enough to ask the question on the main Miami thread. As opposed to now, where we have one calling out Austin as a liar in the subject line which I find, frankly, embarrassing. Can we try better next time? :please:

This is what happens when people don't do the proper research or cite links to support their claims. It's borderline trolling and it needs to stop.

R

Rose

Actually I think Tracy is one of the better commentators around. I wish more commentators were like her!